Defence jobs

Guest k8bug79

Guest k8bug79

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help with this at all. My husband is an Australian Citizen by descent and we are hoping to get out to Adelaide as soon as possible. He would like a change of career from the chefing he has been doing since he left school. A few times throughout his working life he has gone into some engineering / manufacturing work milling etc and completed half a BTEC in Engineering. Being young he didn't really have the drive and urgency to continue it through. Which he now regrets. he wants to try and learn a new trade and we thought that with so many defence companies there that there may be some opportunities for him. Looking at their websites and found loads of information through defensesa.com but it all seems geared at graduates or people studying heir last year at uni. My husband doesn't really want to go through uni (nor can we afford to) .

So question is anyone working in this line, si there a good company to approach, what opportunities are out there etc? Anything really anyone can tell me that may help my husband with a search.

Also is thera particualr way he should approach these companies? Is a well written email explaining what he's looking for why we are hoping to come to adelaide and why he wishes to change career and train etc out of place?

Thanks in advance

By defence you mean Military? if so all my hubby did was send them an email saying who he was, what his job was and how many yrs experience he had but I guess for him it was slightly different as he was in RAF and was wanting to join RAAF, another advantage was the RAAF paid for everything, medicals, flight's, hotel's, on the downside it was a one way option and if he chose to leave the RAAF then they'd help with removals within Australia only.

We are returning to UK in 3 weeks and we've had to pay for everything.

Guest k8bug79
By defence you mean Military? if so all my hubby did was send them an email saying who he was, what his job was and how many yrs experience he had but I guess for him it was slightly different as he was in RAF and was wanting to join RAAF, another advantage was the RAAF paid for everything, medicals, flight's, hotel's, on the downside it was a one way option and if he chose to leave the RAAF then they'd help with removals within Australia only.

We are returning to UK in 3 weeks and we've had to pay for everything.

Thanks yeah RAAF is one option so thanks thats handy to know, Although he doesn't want to be away from home lol. He is also interested in the companies who make all the destroyers and weapons etc. But I have told him to speak with the RAAF about training

Thanks yeah RAAF is one option so thanks thats handy to know, Although he doesn't want to be away from home lol. He is also interested in the companies who make all the destroyers and weapons etc. But I have told him to speak with the RAAF about training

Have a look around this site...this is the pl;ace where they are doing all the Destroyers and Submarine building up on the Port River...

I am a time served Toolmaker and am now repping for a tolls company, as manufacturing went verty very quiet....i dnt think i will ever go back onto the tools right now...

Good luck....

HG

Guest k8bug79
Have a look around this site...this is the pl;ace where they are doing all the Destroyers and Submarine building up on the Port River...

I am a time served Toolmaker and am now repping for a tolls company, as manufacturing went verty very quiet....i dnt think i will ever go back onto the tools right now...

Good luck....

HG

Hi was there meant to be a link there or did you mean this site as in poms in adelaide??

Guest The Pickles

I did some PA temp work for Babcock Integrated Technology (work with SA Defence, engineers dealing with submarines, war ships etc), they have an office based in Bristol, London and have just moved to Port Adelaide from the suburbs.

Might be worth a call to them as they certainly transfer Brits to Adelaide all the time, in fact the office I worked in was 90% British! I'll PM you one of the main guys email addresses in the Adelaide office, worth an email to get advice if nothing else.

Marilyn

Guest k8bug79
I did some PA temp work for Babcock Integrated Technology (work with SA Defence, engineers dealing with submarines, war ships etc), they have an office based in Bristol, London and have just moved to Port Adelaide from the suburbs.

Might be worth a call to them as they certainly transfer Brits to Adelaide all the time, in fact the office I worked in was 90% British! I'll PM you one of the main guys email addresses in the Adelaide office, worth an email to get advice if nothing else.

Marilyn

Brilliant that would be amazing thanks

Marilyn

Ooohh Marilyn just sent you a PM!