Adelaide IT Industry - Looking for Advice

Guest jd6969uk

Guest jd6969uk

Hello all,

Brand new to this forum and looking for a little bit of advice from anyone who might happen to be in the IT industry in Adelaide.

I have a PR175 visa and am planning to make the move over to Oz in July this year - although I will be over in early April to valid the visa. My wife and I have researched various areas and like what we see in Adelaide as it seems to offer city life without all of the hussel and bussel of a Sydney or Melbourne.

I`ve worked in the IT industry for 10 years in the UK and Ireland and have been running my own small IT consultancy for the past 2 years. The drawback I seem to find with Adelaide is that there seems very little on offer in the way of IT jobs. When we first started to look at Australia back in 2008 we did look at South Australia but at that time there were no IT occupations listed on the state "in demand list". I know this was still the case upto about half way through 2009. I now see on the most recent Jan 2010 list, the SA Govt list a whole host of IT occupations - I find this puzzling as to why they would add the IT to their list if it`s not reflected in the job market at present.

I would appreciate any helpful advice regarding IT employment or the current state of the industry in the Adelaide area.

Guest southdowns

Hello! I'm in Adelaide and have been IT contractor in UK since 1999.I've only been here for a couple of months - waiting for my working visa to be approved (sigh).

Unfortunately Adelaide isn't the main "hub" of the IT industry here. It depends on your IT skills to fit a niche. If you have already looked for jobs start here:-

http://www.seek.com.au

Filter on Adelaide. My skills are Solaris/Linux and Telecomms, and I've secured a contract in Melbourne. I'm going via Peoplebank and they've (so far) been very professional. They are one of the few agencies here to provide a 457 working visa; although you don't need one ;-)

If you want to start your own company here you'll need to register and get the ABN (Aus Business number - like a company number from companies house). I've been quoted $500 by agent to get it done.

Melbourne or Sydney are your best bets to get IT work, but of course they'll be IT work in Adelaide CBD cropping up.

Guest MarkIngram

The drawback I seem to find with Adelaide is that there seems very little on offer in the way of IT jobs. When we first started to look at Australia back in 2008 we did look at South Australia but at that time there were no IT occupations listed on the state "in demand list". I know this was still the case upto about half way through 2009. I now see on the most recent Jan 2010 list, the SA Govt list a whole host of IT occupations - I find this puzzling as to why they would add the IT to their list if it`s not reflected in the job market at present.

Hi there

The thing with the job market in Adelaide is that about 80% of jobs are just not advertised. You need to do some leg work to find them I'm afraid. Email, phone, or when you get here knock on doors and make it happen. I was in the same position - Graphic Designers were on the wanted list - but all jobs advertised were in Sydney, Melbourne...nothing or very little in Adelaide....but put myself about and got something within 3 weeks....but it does take hard work. You'll be alright.

Mark

Guest kangomik

160,000 + jobs needed in the next five years the advertiser said yesterday.

Like i said it's all about the future.

Like Mark says most jobs are not advertised, but in the same breath, this is not the IT capitial of AUS by a long way!

Guest BurgessFamily

I arrived last July and didn't see much around. Any jobs that did come up I applied for and after a month or so I managed to get a job in the city as a .net web developer. The pay was a big disappointment though at $50k and it didn't stop me from looking around (not that there was much about). I ended up moving on after a month thanks to a friend putting me in touch with a great software company who weren't looking but offered me a job anyhow.

We came to Adelaide because this is where we want to live, but if i was looking based on IT jobs it would have been Melbourne instead - as there's no contest.

Guest southdowns
ABNS are free!!!!!!

I will get you one for $500, that will be $500 profit!

ABNLookup - ABN specific questions

:cool:

Thanks for that - Worth remembering....

I'm still waiting for my 457 VISA and thus still in Adelaide. Will be heading over to Melbourne for my IT job though. I'm not saying there's nothing in Adelaide for IT, but you'll get better returns on your CV if you specify Melbourne or Sydney.

Really depends on your priorities, etc etc...if you want to live in Adelaide and are patient, I'm sure you'll get something offered. Good luck with your job seach!