Bricklayers how many jobs

Guest Admar72

Guest Admar72

Hi all'

Just wanted to know how the job front is in Adelaide at mo?? Due to changes on visa's IE 23 September there's not been many post for this trade!! If any one looking for bricklayer in June or looking to make up a gang please pm me!

Replies appreciated

Adam

Guest kelv&haley

hi adam,

we are three months in and been working since week 3 without any time off,so far its been fine for me,i do have a friend though who has only gone back to work this week since b4 xmas due to lack of work in january..........but it does seem like there work out there and promising times ahead,if you wanna meet up when you get out here give us a shout,always up for making new friends,

Guest Admar72

Hi Kelv & Mark

Thanks for your quick replays. Things sound promising for my job search when i arrive! I suppose its the same as any where if your good at your trade then the chances are you will find work.

Thanks again Adam :notworthy:

Hi Adam,

I'm a brickie going to Adelaide mid March. Gonna be staying in the south (Christies Beach for starters), people I've spoken to say there's plenty of work. May be good to meet up when you get out there.

Damo

Guest cliveost

Hi sorry to hijack the post but I was just wondering roughly how much a bricklayer can earn as i have heard all kinds of figures. Im hoping to be out there by mid 2011 and will be looking for work then but it would help to have an idea about wages.

Thanks, Clive:)

Guest Admar72

Hi Clive'

Well from what i have found out from pia and other sites the averge is between $30 to $35 per hr but i must say thats only what i've read online. Hopefully one of the members who are in Adelaide can answer this for you. Might be worth starting a new thread

All the best Adam

if you get your license and work for yourself,it works out to about a dollar a brick.that includes piers,sills,cuts and moving pallets.you dont get the big runs on the houses are there are so many windows and the jointing is raked and polished which takes time so $1 per brick sounds good its not as good as it sounds.license $1000 mixer and all plant $5-$6k insurance $500.ute and trailer $6 +.trying to find reliable workers imposible.saying that it still beats working for some one.hopr this helps.cheers mark.

Guest cliveost
if you get your license and work for yourself,it works out to about a dollar a brick.that includes piers,sills,cuts and moving pallets.you dont get the big runs on the houses are there are so many windows and the jointing is raked and polished which takes time so $1 per brick sounds good its not as good as it sounds.license $1000 mixer and all plant $5-$6k insurance $500.ute and trailer $6 +.trying to find reliable workers imposible.saying that it still beats working for some one.hopr this helps.cheers mark.

Thanks Mark thays just the info i needed.

I work for myself in the UK and might like to do the same in Oz eventually but not sure so am going to bring all my gear over with me I think including my van. Do you think thats a good idea?

We do landscape gardening and property repairs in the UK and I do conservatory bases, garden walls etc but have no bricklaying quals so am doing an NVQ course at the moment to get them.

If reliable workers are hard to find I should be ok once I get a job out there.

One last question If you work for someone how do you go on with doing foregners and bits of jobs for people if you need a license ?

Thanks for your help its really appreciated, Clive:notworthy:

hi clive not sure about the van,tools and stuff defo.i dont do any cashies there dosent seem to be many here.the landscaping and property maintainance market is sown up.they are two different jobs so you will have to look into license.as for the nvq you are doing,i have never been asked for qualies the people i worked for just want well laid clean bricks and lots of them.most of the gangs here doing housing are small one boss with one or two guys and they dont take any crap(not saying your crap)it can be a weird experiance,the first gang i worked for were the strangest ive ever worked in,the boss shouting all day no one liked each other i hated it.the next gang were great stayed with them for over a year before setting up on my own.you have to have the right attitude things are different here,try not to compare it to the uk all the time it just upsets them.i enjoy working here there is a lot less to think about.anything else just ask mate.cheers mark.

Guest Admar72

Mark just wanted to ask a couple of questions a Friend of mine lives in Queensland and he was telling me the brickwork gauge there is between 84 to 88 mm is this the same in Adelaide. Also where do you buy your kit and do they do Marshall town trowel the SOFT GRIP

Cheers Adam

Guest cliveost
hi clive not sure about the van,tools and stuff defo.i dont do any cashies there dosent seem to be many here.the landscaping and property maintainance market is sown up.they are two different jobs so you will have to look into license.as for the nvq you are doing,i have never been asked for qualies the people i worked for just want well laid clean bricks and lots of them.most of the gangs here doing housing are small one boss with one or two guys and they dont take any crap(not saying your crap)it can be a weird experiance,the first gang i worked for were the strangest ive ever worked in,the boss shouting all day no one liked each other i hated it.the next gang were great stayed with them for over a year before setting up on my own.you have to have the right attitude things are different here,try not to compare it to the uk all the time it just upsets them.i enjoy working here there is a lot less to think about.anything else just ask mate.cheers mark.

Thanks very much Mark

If the landscaping and property repairs is sown up then bricklaying it is for me.

I might have some more questions a bit nearer the time were coming out.

Thanks again your a star. Clive :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Mark just wanted to ask a couple of questions a Friend of mine lives in Queensland and he was telling me the brickwork gauge there is between 84 to 88 mm is this the same in Adelaide. Also where do you buy your kit and do they do Marshall town trowel the SOFT GRIP

Cheers Adam

yes mate hes right,bricks are 75mm and the gauge depends on window hights its all simple stuff.get your gear from bianco,yes they do marshall town but only 12s you get gauge tapes with all the gauges marked to make it really easy.cheers mark.

Guest kelv&haley

hahaha mark,who could you possibly be talking about shouting all day???? lol,

on our findings so far after three months here,you should defo work for someone else to find your feet before going it alone,even if just long enough to figure out all that is different from bricklaying in uk,and im assured by o/h that there are a few differences!!!

oh and be prepared to be the 'newbie pom' who gets all the ****!!!! just going by what o/h says when he gets home each day, but still he assures me its better than being in uk..............

hope that helps,haley

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all my name is Trevor.

I am a qualified builder to the advanced level 3 NVQ I have also passed my assessors units for teaching apprentices to the the NVQ standard.

I have run my own building business for the last 8 years, working on many various projects. I have good all round knowledge of the construction industry and I am currently looking to migrate to Adelaide.

So if there is anyone who would consider sponsorship or giving employment advice for when my family and I do arrive it would be much appreciated.

kind regards T.Payne