AM i Kidding myself with Adelaide?

Guest markjl

my situation im planning on coming to OZ on a one year WHV with my girlfriend this summer and i love the look of adelaide the beaches affordable housing weather!

but im 2nd level IT engineer (mcsa ccna cca)and my girlfriend is a beauty therapist, obviously our work prospects would be better in lets say melbourne! and we only have a finite amount of money so is it just a pipe dream, a waist of time and money to try and look for work in Adelaide? any and all comments welcome

Hiya

Not sure what your plans are on the working holiday visa but certainly when I backpacked for a year we based ourselves in one place (in our case it was Sydney) for about 6 months worked hard and saved like crazy and then travelled around for 6 months. Are you planning to travel much or are you looking to stay in the one place?

There are certainly more jobs for people on WHV in the bigger cities as the visa is quite limited in that you can only work for one employer for 6 months etc, however that is not to say that you won't get jobs here. You may not necessarily get jobs in your chosen professional areas but if you are backpacking you just take anything you can get in order to save to travel.

My brother in law came out on the WHV in June 2008 and managed to get a couple of jobs for about 10 months and then because he wanted to extend the WHV for another year he secured a job on the "list" of jobs that enables you to extend. He is still here now working as a Landscape Gardner and looking to get PR.

I guess that is another thing to bear in mind, do you want to do just the year or is there a possibility you could be looking at extending because I believe the specified jobs you have to do to extend your visa have to be jobs in a Regional area and SA is classed as regional.

I guess it just depends what you want to do with your year but you can always move on from Adelaide to a bigger city if you can't find work and as a backpacker there are loads of shared cheap housing in the bigger cities.

Hope this helps

Stacey

Well to be honest we arent going to be your average backpacker we have 10k saved for this so im thinking maybe rent a short term rental for a month in that time look for work get a car etc (i would want a IT job with a view to possible perm res) if that doesnt pan out maybe head to melbourne or sydney and do the same.

We are going to see the country but more like weeks holiday here weeks holiday there!

what i really wanna know is, is it a waist of time and money trying to achieve the IT job in Adelaide etc?

Im think im going to have too give it a go if your going to go to the other side of the world for adventure and maybe a new life then you may as well go to the place you want to go! if i wanted a big city i would stay in London!

fingers crossed it all works out! just wanted to add that im ****ting myself i dont know how so many people do this with so much at steak!