Any Biomedical Scientists around ?

Guest al_and_lucy

Guest al_and_lucy

I think it certainly does! How does working in the path labs over there compare to what you would expect here? I mainly work in Clincal Chemistry, but seem to spend most of my time these days in Haematology and Transfusion. I would quite like to the do the same mix over there.

Lucy

• 4 years later...

@jo_marnes I'm really hoping you can give me some insider info on biomedical science in Australia. I'm beginning my BMS degree in UK in september, it's accredited by IBMS but if I want to work in the NHS I have to do a portfolio meaning an extra year as a trainee.

If I just do my 3 year BSc in Biomedical Science is that enough for me to be able to gain employment in Australia as a Biomedical Scientist or relevant position?

Hopefully you might know the score with stuff like this?

To work as a Medical Scientist (same as Biomedical scientist) you will need to get your UK qualifications attested by AIMS (check out the web site). It does help if you are a Fellow of IBMS. The way things work in Aus is quite different to UK. We don't have a regulating body for registration. Jobs in the bigger labs are few and far between and Pathology in general is doing it very hard at the moment.

Hi @Rich & Chit, is the AIMS qualification assessment required for actually being able to work or is it required for visa skills assessment purposes?

We are applying on the strength of my husbands skills so I don't need skills assessment for visa....just want to check if I actually need it for being able to 'practice' as such.

Hope that makes sense.

What I'm also wondering is....if it's the case that I do need AIMS assessment to be able to work....does that mean I have to do some kind of top up or trainee position in Australia first as we are emigrating as soon as my degree is completed so I will only have my BMS degree?

That's great thankyou @Rich & Chit. Would you know if they have trainee positions in Australia as they do in the UK for new graduates? Just wondering how it works if you study in Oz...as in do they do a similar sort of process whereby you complete a portfolio after your degree or as part of a placement year?

Thanks for your help so far, I've been trying to ascertain this visa/employability query for a while now.

My tutor had told me the placements and work experience opportunities here whilst on my degree will be like hens teeth to get hold of....but if Im successful in gaining a placement and doing the extra year then I will certainly do so. Think I was just worried about doing my degree then not being able to 'practice' in Oz unless I'd had those 2 years in work for the AIMS recognition (seems to be the 2 years after uni what would have stumped me) but I'm glad I've managed to speak with you about it now, at least I know I'll be as qualified as I need to be for employment...

As far as I can gather though the portfolio is mainly for those wishing to enter the NHS, but it will be invaluable experience if I can just get a blinking placement!