work in Special Educational Needs?

Guest P00hbear

Guest P00hbear

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me......

We are hoping to move to Oz later this year. I currently work in outreach in an advisory role to schools with children on the Autistic Spectrum. I have worked in the SEN field for many years in an advisory role for many other learning impairments and have qualifications to work with dyslexic children. Do you think, I would easily transfer my skills?

I would appreciate any advice - I don't know what qualifications you need to work in schools or outreach in Oz? I have NVQ's, HLTA have been involved in training staff and also am a licenced trainer to deliver training to parents of Autisitc children.

Wendy

Guest norah battie

yeah definitely or try disability SA....Autism SA would be my first bet....you sound as if you would be a consultant....I teach students with Autism..pm me if you need any info

• 1 month later...
Guest P00hbear
Autism SA, Disability SA, DECS.....all worth a shot with your qualifications. Good Luck

Thanks I wasn't sure what DECS was at first but worked it out and have had a look at their website.

We will hopefully be out by the end of the year, so will contact them before we arrive! Thanks again

Guest cookiemonster

Hi Poohbear,

Suzer compelled me to write here!

I have just left Autism SA after working there for almost a year.... I have many things to say about them. Let's just say this: most staff go on stress leave quite frequently.

Your qualifications sound like you could definitely be a consultant there, the question is, would you really want to?

I would try the more government organizations or individual private schools. I currently work at a private school in a Learning Support Officer position, working with students with all sorts of learning disabilities. (Dyslexia, dysgraphia, Asperger's Syndrome, Autism, Dyscalculia, Central Processing Disorder, ADHD, etc.) I'm loving my job so much more than when I was at Autism SA. If you want to find out more... please pm :)

Have you thought of working in a special school? I've just started doing abit of relief at one you will need a Decs ID number but they might help you get thisbut you have to fill in the paperwork and prove you can do what you say you can so have some refs to help with this.

Skills recognition at 55Currie st Adelaide will help you with your quailification if they can if not as said before TAFE might.

Goodluck x

Guest Weez

Have too agree with you cookie monster kno many people that have come and gone from autsa, and i have never ever had any luck hearing anything back from them! work as SSO for specail needs school best job ever supportive staff fantastic kids!!

Guest uptheiron

Hi again, hope the search is going well. I work in a local high school as a support officer. If there's any help i can give please drop me a line. No worries. Deb