Nursing and Midwifery

Guest calamitycaz

Guest calamitycaz

I arrive with the kids on December12th (yay!) and will be free to work from the first week of January, but am having difficulties getting a job so far, something that I didn't anticipate :(

I am an Registered Nurse and a Registered Midwife here in the UK, and so far have got my RN registration in SA, with the RM application being processed at the moment. I'm hoping to do either ED (A+E) nursing, or midwifery.

I have been in contact with an agency, who told me that there are no jobs being advertised in either trade until September (something I find hard to believe) and I have also emailed HR at FMC who said they would pass my details on to the relevant people there, that was weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep since.

Does anyone have any names and addresses for managers of ED nursing or midwifery at FMC or RAH or others that I can send paper copies of my CV with a covering letter to? I know it seems a long way off, but I'm trying to ensure I can get a decent job, as soon as possible - mainly so I can sleep at night :SLEEP: !

Many thanks in advance

Caz x

Guest Django

Ignore the agencies. Contact the HR depts of the hospitals direct. They will snap you up after a quick telephone interview.

If you google Royal Adelaide Hospital, Flinders Hospital or women and childrens hospital you will find the contact numbers you need.

Pete

Have secured a post as a midwife myself by applying to the Head of Midwifery in the Women and Childrens Hosp. I did meet her during a reccie in Oct 08 and just kept in touch. PM me if you need more info? Penny

There are lots of jobs Caz.

Just write to HR or write to Manager FMC ED,they will pass your letter on. There is a new Mgr in FMC ED I'm not sure of her name as I did work there.

Please don't worry about a job as there are lots.

NASANSB (Nursing Agency) will take you too.

You'll love it here,it's a great life.

Elaine:wubclub:

Guest nurse sue

have a look on the sa health website - the rah has a rolling nurse recruitment advert open til december. and im sure there was a job on there last week for A&E nurses.

good luck, im sure you wont have any problems getting a job!

Guest Tracey

hi, have you checkout the love nursin campaign. queen elizabeth hospital. think it still goin. i applied through that direct to TQE, been here 6 months now. good luck

trace x

Hi there

I emailed my cv direct to HR at Womens and Childrens Hospital following advise from here, and they had arranged a telephone interview within a week or so, job offer a week later - result is we fly out on 24th May and I start work on 13th June!!!!!

They have also been great as we applied for 176 so took longer than they thought and they rearranged my start date with no problem.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Guest Trakki

Flinders took so long to reply to me I already had a job at the Women and childrens!!

I emailed HR depts and got a job no problems, don't worry about agencies from the UK, knowing people that have used them and got the wrong infor I would avoid them. Alternatively you could always sign up to one of the nursing agencies here NASA, Medstaff naming a few, hospitals here use agency nurses as a matter of course here so they always have work and good pay rates too.

Hope that helps

Hi

I do not wish to put a downer on things but I work at Ashford Hospital and we are OVERSTAFFED! We are constantly being asked to take annual leave as we have too many nurses on shift and I cannot remember the last time we had any agency staff working with us. There are a lot of nurses coming through their training here now (we took on 50 newly trained nurses this Jan/Feb) and they are cheaper to employ than experienced nurses from overseas.

Looking at the other posts, it obviously is not the same everywhere but I do not think that nurses in SA in the future will be as hard to come by.

Sorry!

Catherine

Guest Trakki

This is very true with the private hospitals but in the public sector they are still short staffed. When I was coming over I could not find any jobs advertised but just emailed my cv to the HR departments and had my pick.

Guest calamitycaz

Thanks everyone, I think I'll have a look at the Womens and Childrens next then! And Catherine, don't be sorry, I asked for advice and would much prefer the truth!! On the other Adelaide site, someone suggested I may not have heard from anyone due to the restructure/merging of the two Adelaide Health Authorities which was announced this week and is due to take place in July.

Much love and appreciation to everyone that took the time to help me out on this one! And just one more Q, how does midwifery compare to the UK? Because I'm newly qualified here, and not sure I enjoy the pressure of the job (too many women, not enough midwives, constantly stressed and feeling overworked etc etc) ans wondered how it compares to Oz? And before anyone suggests I'm a wuss I work in resus in A+E and never feel as unsupported or out of my comfort zone! ;)

Caz x

Guest nurse sue
hi, have you checkout the love nursin campaign. queen elizabeth hospital. think it still goin. i applied through that direct to TQE, been here 6 months now. good luck

trace x

doh, thats the one i meant!! i got the wrong hospital :goofy: - i check the site every week, must have rah on the brain

:goofy:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Dont contact HR at the FMC as it just gets past from pillar to post.

Advice from the missus is to contact the managers directly, thats what she did and got everthing sorted in 1 week.