School work experience

Guest needtogonow

Guest needtogonow

We recently moved over from the UK and our 14 daughter is at Aberfoyle High.

Next week is work experience week and as she only started school 2 weeks ago we have not been able to sort anything out.

She would like some experience in working with animals or marine life as she wants to go into animal conservation/marine biology. Have tried a few places such as the RSPCA but she needs to be 18.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Bex

We recently moved over from the UK and our 14 daughter is at Aberfoyle High.

Next week is work experience week and as she only started school 2 weeks ago we have not been able to sort anything out.

She would like some experience in working with animals or marine life as she wants to go into animal conservation/marine biology. Have tried a few places such as the RSPCA but she needs to be 18.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Bex

Definitely try vets in the area...i know they will take the kids on work experience..

A girl i know, at Reynella East High, has recently done hers at a local vets in this area..

Guest glitter

Hi,

We just bought a new puppy - (little german shepherd - soooo cute), and we registered her at the vet in Aberfoyle Hub, they definately do work experience because there was a young boy in helping after school when we went in.

Tel no there is 8270 5655.

Good Luck

Hi there :)

Just a thought - have you spoken the counsellor at APHS, Mr Sturitis? He has a huge folder of places that offer work experience and is the co-ordinator. He's been there for years and is the best source of info going! I don't think there's a place around he doesn't have a link with lol!

My daughter phoned/visited places until she found one she wanted, and that could take her. Some places ask for a resume, but I'm not sure if that's just to make it seem more 'real'?

As for the Hub vet, their number is 8270 5155, and the work placement co-ordinator there is Erin Harris....but be warned, they only take one person at a time and competition is fierce!

If she cannot get the placement of her dreams now, she could perhaps defer her 'go' until later in the year so she will have a better chance of arranging something she'd enjoy. Alternatively, the stores such as Foodland, KMart etc take on more students and there's always the possibility of getting a part-time job there after.

Just a thought! Good luck, both of you!

LC

Guest needtogonow

Thanks to all who have responded. I have managed to get her in next week in a vets in Glenelg. I think they felt sorry for me as I explained how desperate we were. It looks like a great family run practice and its on my husbands way to work so even better.

I now have one very happy daughter!

Bex