Securing employment before arriving

ischa

Hi All,

Just want to get a "feel" for this topic. We are planning to move over latest Oct, and we hoping for my husband to secure employment before we arrive. He is in the surveying industry.

Are we being realistic, or is the norm to only find employment once you arrive. I know it all depends on your occupation, but what is the general experience.

Also, those who did secure employment did you fly over for interviews before flying over for good. And did you use employment agencies or contacted companies directly. What was the timeline more or less, I know we still a good few months away - should be wait closer to Oct. Any tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Aireys :wubclub:

Guest guest569

alot of work here seems to be who you know not what you know to get your foot in the door !!! When you arrive here you will have so much to do . Work will be the last thing on your minds !!!!Take a break when you land and find your feet. It will all come together in its own time.;)

ps. How is sunny Northamptonshire ????

Guest cornish Busdriver

My missus and me both secured employment before we arrived.

She secured hers through a nursing agency with the Calvary Wakefield with just a phone interview.

I secured mine when we came over for our reccie, just phoned the company and asked if i could come in for a chat and a look around then walked out with a job offer.

Guest nishman

It wouldn't hurt to start putting feelers out a few weeks before you arrive (4weeks, say). I secured a position before we came over and it did make the transition a lot smoother for us knowing that there was one less thing to worry about. On the con side, it did force our hand to commit to a start date when we hadn't sold the house and meant that I came over 4weeks before the rest of the family. But to be fair, my employer had agreed to pay relocation costs so I guess there had to be a bit of give and take.

Talk to an agency nearer the time would be my suggestion - you may be able to line up interviews soon after you land (I was talking to the agent the morning after we landed on our recce, with 4 interviews lined up within the next 10 days).

You have a big to-do list as soon as you land anyway, so you may as well hit the ground running on all fronts :D

Guest guest569
Thanks for the replies, bit of a concern to hear it's about who you know not what, as we don't know anyone in Adelaide.

Don't worry we were all in the same boat when we arrive. You'll soon meet people who know people and your network will grow and work will sort itself out.:)

Guest Skippy

Hi Ischa,

my husband is a land surveyor. It took him about 1 month to secure employment. He went with numerous agencies, bought the Adelaide Advertiser every Saturday. But the most effective thing he did was to send his resume out to all the companies in Adelaide that worked in his particular surveying field. He used the internet to form a small list of companies to approach. He then followed it up with a phonecall about a week later and eventually had two interviews. He was offered both jobs and went with the one that seemed to suit him best. It is a very stressful time but try to remain relaxed and buoyant about it. Using the telephone and even popping in in person to companies is not unusual here. People really are so friendly. My husband has just said that if your OH is a quantity surveyor there's lots of that work about. And if he's a land surveyor there's lots of infrastructure work coming up in Adelaide over the next 2 years. Perhaps starting his job search a few weeks before flying is a really good idea. If we can give you any more advice no worries. Good luck! Anna and Paul x

Don't worry we were all in the same boat when we arrive. You'll soon meet people who know people and your network will grow and work will sort itself out.:)

I would not worry about it I never had work lined up before we came and the first Interview the guy said so your Scottish my dad is Scottish talked for about 10 mins and offered me the job. Same with the second job same sort of thing. They like the British work ethic hear the Aussies are shocking ( nice day lets go to the beach)

Thanks for the replies, bit of a concern to hear it's about who you know not what, as we don't know anyone in Adelaide.

It's moreso like that in Adelaide than other places, but it's not all about who you know. It does help to network as much as possible when you arrive but you'll want to do that anyway to meet people. It does help to look for work before coming, as long as you have a firm arrival date. Start looking on seek.com and career one to see what's out there.