to all brickys out there..... help!!!!

Guest willow1234

Guest willow1234

can anyone advice me on weather to bring my hand tools (in container) or could i buy good ones out there ?i.e. trowels,levels ect .

Guest Nicky&Andy

if you take tools , clean well, any wooden handels have to be painted, my oh is only taking some of his tools, (the ones he cant do without)sorry cant help with the price of tools in oz,

Guest guest569

most people are only without their container after landing for 6 weeks. That is a really busy time settling , looking for a vehichle ( or2) a rental, kids schools and jobs !!

There are plenty of good tool shops here if you needed something to get you going.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Yeah defo bring them but make sure there realy clean with now rust on any part of them.

So glad i brought all mine with me as some simple decent everyday tools can be quiet expensive.

Guest Damien

Hi Willow,

I came out here in March and got a right shock, the bricklaying is SO different here.

Bring what you can coz tools are expensive over here and generally the quality is not as good. Try and bring your trowel, line, pins, blocks etc in your hand luggage so you can use them asap. You can get Stabila levels here. Don't bring any jointers as it's all raked out here. If you use an 11" Marshalltown bring a few new ones over as they are mostly 12" here and bloody expensive!

Be prepared for a totally different way of working, you do get used to it but it is hard here. I'm not trying to worry you just giving you the heads up. The weather is good here though :jiggy:and the fishing is magic!

If you need any help let me know,

Damo

Guest Damien

I'm not gonna lie to you mate. It's not like the UK, where I was on the same large site for a couple of years. There are plenty of houses going up but not much work advertised. There were 2 or 3 ads in the paper this week, check out the jobs on the Adelaide Advertiser website. There are loads of 'brickies' out here that fleece you, tke your money, shout at you, put you down etc. On the other hand I was really lucky and am working with another pom and it's good. It's mostly just 2 brickies or a 2 and 1 building one house then moving on, travelling miles in the process. It's not all as sweet as certain people will have you believe but it is manageable. Sorry to sound like I'm on a downer but this is the experience most brickies have when they arrive here.

On the other hand the weather's great, fishing is fab too!

Damo

Guest Damien

Shouldn't you be at work ;) The fishing is ace here. I've has whiting, flathead, tommies and mullet from the beach. Bream from the river. It's coming in to salmon season and I managed one last week. All within 15 mins walk of my house. When I got here Tyke took me out on his boat, it was ace and I caught small snapper, flathead, KGW, leatherjackets etc. The fishing is brilliant. Don't worry aout work too much, it's just different and can be a shock to the system. When you coming out and where are you heading for? We are down south (Port Noarlunga).

All the best mate,

Damo

Guest willow1234

sounds good mate. we arrive 25 may mate , weve got ooa in everard park but we are heading to seaford (so the wife tells me ! lol) hopefully we can get a rental in the area

Guest Damien

That's near me. There are loads of houses going up in Seaford Meadows so you should be able to get work ok. The fishing from PN beach, Southport and Moana is good and very close by. And the area is FULL of bloody poms ;)