Plumbing & Heating Engineer - Advice

Guest Bather's

Guest Bather's

Hi everyone,

Im looking for some advice.

My o/h is currently employed as a Plumbing & Heating Engineer in the UK and would like to continue with this line of work when we arrive in January.

:GEEK:

Are his UK Qualifications accepted?

Can anyone give us some advice on what he will need to do before he can get a job?

Does anyone know if he can apply for jobs whilst we are sill in the UK?

The visa was granted on the back of my o/h skills (it's a Skilled 136) we activated the visa March 09.

Just cant wait to get out their.....................:jiggy:

Thank you so much for all your help

Danielle

Hi everyone' date='[/color']

Im looking for some advice.

My o/h is currently employed as a Plumbing & Heating Engineer in the UK and would like to continue with this line of work when we arrive in January.

:GEEK:

Are his UK Qualifications accepted?

Can anyone give us some advice on what he will need to do before he can get a job?

Does anyone know if he can apply for jobs whilst we are sill in the UK?

The visa was granted on the back of my o/h skills (it's a Skilled 136) we activated the visa March 09.

Just cant wait to get out their.....................:jiggy:

Thank you so much for all your help

Danielle

Hi Danielle

My oh is also a plumber, we came over here 2 years ago but went to WA first and I can only advise of what happened there, although its probably quite similar here in Adelaide.

He had to go on 3 courses at Tafe (college) the first course was a migrants course, where he had to prove that he could bend pipe! Then he had to go on a plumbing and drainage course and a gas course, once those were passed and he got his white card (health & safety) then he could start work.

We have since moved from WA to Adelaide and all that he had to do was take his WA cards to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs and they have transferred them to SA cards. Heres a link to the OCBA OCBA - Licensing and registration which hopefully will be of some help to you.

Good Luck with the move, and hopefully someone will be able to give you more info on how its done here in Adelaide. :)

Julie

Guest kfoley0681

hi my husband is a plumber in adelaide to! he was a plumber and heating engineer in uk for many years and had his own business. he will need to have a meeting with paul hebard at the tafe regency road who will ask for all evidence of previous experience this gives you first grant on licence like apprentice part! (3 parts to it) we used evidence used to obtain skilled independant migrant visa. then he will need to do the 6 week course (1 nite a week) to gain 2nd part this allows him to work as a qualifed plumber as such but for an employer. once this is done he will need to do a 2 year course comprising of 8 modules to obtain the masters licence to be able to work for your self which my husband is currently doing. although once completed there is still 2 short corses to complete to be able to offically run your own business! this has all just tightened up recently and my husband was updted only last nite at tafe by the lecturers! you can sometimes get a few modules of part 3 signed off with evidence. paul hebard and paul ferris are the 2 men at tafe that your husband will need to see so he could always contact them if more info is needed! most companys will take them on with out the licence as long as you are enrolled to get it but be prepared to work for apprentice wages! and not sure where you are in uk or what he earns but my husband worked mostly in london and finds the wages a hell of a lot less here! but you could start emailing companies the week before you come with a cv(find the companies on line so you can set up with meeting on arrival theres lots of jobs about! good luck!

Guest paul smith

Hi, the heating & plumbing is totally different out here if not a bit backwards. Be prepared for a shock as any qualifications in the UK mean nothing out here. Do not work for a company called ERS they are sharks. There are plenty of jobs about ,you just have to find the right company. I am just leaving a very good company called Gas Works on the Anzec Highway to join the Police. The owner is called Steve and is probably the best enginner & boss you will ever meet. If you need to know any more let me know. Thanks, Paul.