Help with IELTS

Guest gingerlindz

Guest gingerlindz

Hi I applied for my reg with NMBsa everything I thought was sent and done and they have now replied telling me I need to sit an english exam test to prove i can speak, read and write english I thought this wouldn't be apllicable to me as i have lived in scotland all my life and educated to degree level here and also none of my visa or Australian skills assessment required me to prove my english language abilities. I understand the reasons for this exam but have struck a problem since our flight leaves on the 14th July and I can't get a place in any of the tests taking place before we go. Does anyone know of a way to get this sorted? I have contacted my employers to ask them, the NMBsa don't have any offers of help and I wondered if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Lindsay

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi, how long are you in oz before you have to start work? Might be worth looking into doing the ielts when youve arrived. Are you also aware that you have to do the academic test.

Heres the link for the adealide test centre.

IELTS testing centre

Hope this has been of some help for you.

Guest wardelou

Im currently studying to become an Enrolled Nurse and my understanding is that is your from NZ, USA and UK you dont need to sit the test. I registered with NMBsa as a student as it is a requirement since 1st March for all students to do this and I had no issues registering. I have been here 2 1/2years and only worked in aged care as a carer, I have PR also which I dont know if that makes a different.

Cheers

Louise

Guest gingerlindz

The problem is timing! I leave on 14th july and am supposed to start on the 9th of Aug. All the tests in Scotland are full up till I leave and there isn't a test in adelaide till after I'm due to start....slight problem!!! Have new job looking into it and seeing if they can work something out. Thanks for your help.

Lindsay

Contact Glasgow Uni and ask to be put on the cancellation list for the June or July exam (depending on the actual date of the exam) or just wait and sit it when you get to Australia.

Good Luck with the exam whenever/wherever you sit it.

PS. I've also lived in Scotland all my life and am educated to degree level and although I passed I found the exam to be more challenging than I expected. Go on-line and practice some of the tests before sitting the exam.

Guest gingerlindz

Ah thank you for words of warning and advice. i think I probably have been thinkin test will be easy! I'll heed you're advice and practice.

Guest Rich&Susie

i would second the suggestion of getting some practice in! when I did mine, most of the people I spoke to hadnt practiced and they really struggled. like a lot of things if you know 'how' they are going to test you, it is much easier to give them what they want!. I did mine in May, the listening you really have to concerntrate on, as you have to make assumptions from what is said, not just write down what is actually said, in the reading it is not just that you can read, you need to be able to scan blocks of text quickly and pick out key elements (read the questions first before reading the passage so you know what your looking for) on the speaking they want to hear past present and future tense as well as lot of descriptive words and a good vocab, on the writing it is about correct letter writing tecnique, as well as doing a piece on you opionion on something, reasons why, the counter view and a summary. as you can tell, I am rubbish at spelling, so watch that too as they mark you down, i got three 9's and an 8 (for the writing) but you really have to work hard and there is only just enough time to do everything. the practice is worth it, Good luck!

Guest Samster

Hi, yeah I would totally recommend doing preparation. I was surprised at how challenging it was having not done an exam for a while! Also you need to be careful in the listening test because they check your answers for grammar too, so even if you have answered correctly which proves you've understood it, they will still mark you down if you make grammatical errors. I arrived in Adelaide in August, and wasn't able to take the test till November (don't worry they are running more exams now!) Unfortunately I wasn't prepared and failed by half a point- you need to get 7 or above in each section. I didn't resit until Feb (my choice, I could have done it sooner!) so I only registered with NMBSA at the end of April! I am not trying to freak you out, but I just want you to know it really is best to prepare! If you want any further advice I'm happy to help... having been through it twice! :-) On the otherhand, some people don't seem to find it hard at all, so you may be one of them!

Guest gingerlindz

thank you all very much for help and advice, I'm flying to Dublin 4 days before leavingfor Adelaide to sit test so hopefully will pass first time (fingers very much crossed) so again hopefully everything will come through in time. Does anyone know how long reg takes with NMBsa after all the forms are in?