nursing jobs

Guest m.and.m

Guest m.and.m

Hi im a nurse currently working in UK but emigrating in September, will be looking for a nursing post as soon as i arrive, waiting for my registration from South Australia at moment, would it be worth contacting hospitals before my registration comes through i have 4 years experience in community hospitals and district nursing would appreciate any advice thanks

Guest gingerlindz

i've said in previous post I contacted every hospital and asked them if there were any jobs coming up or available, most got back to me in some way or another. This was all whist applying for my reg i kinda did it all together and am now flying in just over a month and last thing to get fixed is my reg!!!! but the new job seem fine that'll all get sorted!

Perhaps RDNS (Royal District Nursing Service) would be a good start. Claire works for them (or did i think) she might be able to help.

I doubt you'll have a problem getting a job here, it's just a matter of waiting for your registration

Best of luck :)

• 2 years later...
Guest jones1541

Hi, Myself and the family will be moving out in 2013 and im just wondering, do you know of any learning disability nurses that have done the jump over to Australia?

I hate to sound negative after all the positive posts above (and I nearly did not write at all) but ...

I am an RN and clinical facilitator for both EN/RN/bridging students in a private hospital. When I arrived here (almost 4 yrs ago), nearly every shift we had agency staff in because we were short of staff. Now, there is a glut of RN's - we are over staffed and any positions that come up will be filled by EN's until they achieve the hoped for ratio (70% RN to 30% EN). The student numbers have dramatically increased because of the shortfall in nursing staff, both when I started here and the predicted shortfall in the future for the ageing population. The downside of this is that there are currently around 700 students a year qualifying in Adelaide alone. Those that are international students are not allowed to apply for graduate nurse positions in public hospitals because there are just not enough positions for their 'home grown' and a lot go to work in nursing homes.

There are quite a few casual positions advertised (such as on seek and govt websites), there are also 'country' positions, and there is the odd metro position but they are more few and far between than they have been in the past so my advice to you would be join an agency who may be able to get you a temporary position that you can then extend to permanent once you are here and definitely start applying now as public hospitals in particular are notoriously slow when dealing with recruitment.

On the positive side, it is envisaged that a lot more people will remain in their homes rather than go to nursing homes (policy changes) and this will mean that the need for community nurses should increase.

It may also be worth applying to Noarlunga hospital and Glenelg community hospital if you are looking for less acute work.

Good luck with your search, keep us posted!

Guest Guest6899

If you have a community background RDNS are always advertising + hospital at home, they have their own website. I have spoken with several graduate nurses lately and they say they are struggling to get permanent work, loads of agency. Some can only get work on the pool after their years graduation. i got my job at Flinders whilst in the UK but i am only temporary until Sept. I have been advised not to worry and it will be extended but when you want to purchase a house etc i would rather be permanent. you will get work there is no doubt on that but they are slow on recruiting. Its up to you if you wait depends whether you need money coming in quickly or can wait a bit.