IT Work Prospects

Guest Nige69

Guest Nige69

Hi Guys,

Quick question straight to the point can anyone advise me as to Adelaide IT work prospects namely Data Analyst, MI Manager, BI Analyst, Database Analyst type roles - Business Objects / SQL Server primarily.

Also what are the salaries like?

Is it easy to get some short term really easy admin type work if need be - simple Access / Excel type stuff if need be.

Any info would be great

Cheers

Nige

ps hope to speak to some of you soon:)

Morning Nige.

The IT market here can look a little scary - check www.seek.com - as the place is fairly small so the quantity of work available looks, at first glance, to be limited. I've been here since November 2007 and have been working (for the same company) since Jan 2008.

Not sure what happens for other professions but the IT job market pretty much starts to close down for Xmas at the end of October and really doesn't start again until mid-Jan; bear that in mind for your migration plans. That said, your BO/SQL skills should be in demand here although the agents will be reluctant to put you forward for anything until they've had a face-to-face - they're a bit old school in that respect, I suppose. We use a local firm for our SQL stuff - Blue Crystal - who may be open to at least an initial email enquiry.

Salary-wise, I can only compare to Bristol but the permanent wages, for CBD work, look to be on a par with the contract rates slightly lower. I'm also basing this on the salaries/rates from nearly 3 years ago so things may actually look a little brighter over here now.

Good luck.

Justin.

Guest WoodMartin

Hi Nige

We arrived in October 09 and I met up with a few of the agencies in town (Hudson, Talent International, Hays, Tennyson) they all seemed fairly positive (but then they would really). After 6 weeks I had a job - which I found through www.seek.com.au (Bluefin was the agency, they are based in Sydney though!).

I think that there are jobs out there both in contracting and permanent roles, as I was contacted by an agency a few weeks ago - just to see if I would be interested in a role they had.

Your skills are very similiar to mine - so I think you should be OK. Just to reiterate what Justin has said - all of the agencies like to have a face-to-face before they put you forward for anything. I arranged meetings with all of them in the first few days after arrival and found them all very helpful.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sannie!
I arranged meetings with all of them in the first few days after arrival and found them all very helpful.

Alan

Arranged? - do you had to pay anything for that? Most of the agencies I went, want me to apply online and wait. whereas I wanted to meet the agents/recruitment consultants in person to sort out the things better. P.s I am a career changer I was previously in corporate sales.

:wubclub:

Guest WhatNow?

Depends what your skills are and if they are in demand and whether you have a good CV. By the way, recruitment agents in South Australia are not allowed under the terms of their licences to ask applicants to pay anything to them. The employer is the only one who pays, and only if and when a candidate is taken onn. If you are asked for money by a 'recruitment agent' then they are acting illegally and their licence can be revoked.

Guest Sannie!

Thank you, whatsNow! To my understanding of the situation certificate courses are of good value when compared with university degrees, i have my masters from a recognised but overseas university and also the overseas work experience. Even after applying for 100's of jobs online and many in person I haven't received a phonecall for an interview atleast. stragightaway- rejected!

I would rather dont mind them paying some % from my income provided the agents/recuritment consultants take an effort to put me in somewhere.. ;)

Guest WhatNow?

Sannie - are you aware of the Skills Recognition Service? Overseas Qualification Service for Overseas Qualified Professionals

If you are already here and have working rights you can take any o/S certificates/degrees in and they will try to match them up to Australian similar qualifications. You get a letter stating what they think your qualifications are equivalent to here. Not sure how much it helps, but it's better than nothing.

Guest Sannie!

yeah, i am aware of the skill recognition service, I was thinking about this for a while but later forgot over the period of time ;) Duing the information session by immigration SA the representative in charge was saying about this. It is done for free of cost for migrants I think! I am not sure but if it not gonna cost me anything I may go for this service ;) thanks for rememberring me again. ;)

Guest Sannie!

Hi WhatNow,thanks. Morning, I went there to find out if it will be of any use for me!!! gave my PG certificates along with passport and pre-migration assement copy for the purpose. Also fixed an appointment with a consultant and for that I was asked to come again with a copy of my resume for consultation. and yes as you said it is all FREE!!! ;) let me see how it helps.. Please share if there are any other similair tips as well.

WhatNow?, Thank you once again. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sannie!

I really don't know what's is that lacking in me!I have an overseas tertiory qualification, overseas work experience, I am constatnly mailing, also, do regular visits to recruitment agencies, trying my luck with retail outlets as well. I am doing everyhing to the best of what I can. Yet, I haven't suceeded in securing even a part time job. Can you please throw me a hint! like - what else I could more.

advice please!

:)

I really don't know what's is that lacking in me!I have an overseas tertiory qualification, overseas work experience, I am constatnly mailing, also, do regular visits to recruitment agencies, trying my luck with retail outlets as well. I am doing everyhing to the best of what I can. Yet, I haven't suceeded in securing even a part time job. Can you please throw me a hint! like - what else I could more.

advice please!

:)

Sannie, it appears from your posts that english is not your first language, is this correct? If so, this could be part of the problem as I know employers/recruitment agencies are very cautious about recruiting people who do not have excellent english skills.

Guest Sannie!

jessica, You are certainly right! English is not my first language and infact in could be a reason why I am not being considered. But I am pretty sure and believe that I can communicate well with the best of my ability. Whatever, someone has to provide me an opportunity to find out what I am worth doing here as a skilled ;) ? Migrant!!!! :(