hairdressing wagess???????????????

Guest laurenburton92

Guest steph&neil
does anyone know the basic wage of a qualified hairdresser in adelaide????????

Hi the wages are around the $20 per hours mark which sounds good when you are in the UK but it is not that great here! the hourly rate depends on your experence & the type of job you take - for example perm jobs will pay slighly less per hour & include sick & holiday pay, & casual will attract a higher rate but no holidays or sick pay. See the work sa link http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/uploaded_files/hairdressers_15_01_10.pdf

all the rates will be there - normally the jobs advertised will say award rate or higher (the higher is normally just down to commision on selling products!) all employers are legally obligated to pay the overtime rates, if you get offered a job & they offer flat rate make sure it is more than the usual hours rate - I have heard of (& been offered) work where they try to make you work for this & they get away with it when they are franchised & the head office is interstate or abroad it shouldnt make a bit of diffrence but it does! hence why I decided to work for myself!

Hope this is helpful

Steph x

Hi my wife has her own salon and my boys girlfriend is a hairdresser there are 3 grades of hairdressers here A,B, AND C you would be a C due to lack of experience. The wages are poor for hairdressers and there is loads of saloons. My boys girlfriend is on about $17 an hour that's about average.

http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=2672#Hairdressers and Toilet Salons Award

Hi,

There's some good info above.

I have been a hairdresser for over 20 years and am presently employed by Just Cuts.

The salary is more if you work in the chemical salons and around $20 per hour sounds about right. It's only $17 per hour in the non chemical salons (just cutting and not colours etc). This salary is determined by the "award' rate. This is a rate that is set for a lot of trades and to be honest it's rubbish! I could earn $20 per hour at a local hardware store (on a checkout or shelf stacker) on a contract or $24 per hour as a casual.

The real money is having your own salon or working for yourself. Many people work from home or do mobile hairdressing.

Tamara

Guest steph&neil
Hi,

There's some good info above.

I have been a hairdresser for over 20 years and am presently employed by Just Cuts.

The salary is more if you work in the chemical salons and around $20 per hour sounds about right. It's only $17 per hour in the non chemical salons (just cutting and not colours etc). This salary is determined by the "award' rate. This is a rate that is set for a lot of trades and to be honest it's rubbish! I could earn $20 per hour at a local hardware store (on a checkout or shelf stacker) on a contract or $24 per hour as a casual.

The real money is having your own salon or working for yourself. Many people work from home or do mobile hairdressing.

Tamara

Hi I have to agree with Tamara the wages do not reflect the training that hairdressers or beauty therapists put in! I have to say that my business is doing well - it does take time & effort I choose to work for myself as the hours & pay are far better!

steph x

Thanks Steph.

I had my own salon for 7 years before migrating here but I just havn't gone that route as other business ventures presented themselves!

I see that you are working for yourself and I think that's a great route to go. You get the personal service and the person offering it gets the flexibility. I find that the salons are often just production line venues. You are expected to do a minimum number of clients per hour.

I have had a look on http://www.adelaidemobilebeauty.com

Great.

If I leave my work (and no longer get my hair done at work as a freebie!) I will give you a call.

Tamara

Guest laurenburton92

i am not in adelaide yet so i don't have access to the sunday newspaper, i am due to come over end of july.

could you give me any websites that would be of any use please?

Hi there,

All the jobs that appear in the newspaper also appear on the careerone web site.

Take a look on www.careerone.com.au

The way that I secured a job was just to hand out my cv at various salons and I was called in for an interview that way. They may ask you to do a sample cut and blow dry and there are some differences between the way things are done here and in the UK. I ran a salon in Weston Super Mare and it's a bit different but nothing to worry about.

Tamara

Hi my wife has her own saloon and my boys girlfriend is a hairdresser there are 3 grades of hairdressers here A,B, AND C you would be a C due to lack of experience. The wages are poor for hairdressers and there is loads of saloons. My boys girlfriend is on about $17 an hour that's about average.

Personal & Other Services and Toilet Salons Award

does your wife sell beer in her saloon:biglaugh::biglaugh: just kiddingx

Wages are very low here to what we were use to, my OH came over as a hairdresser and now works else where as the money wasn't great and his income was our main income. You should have no trouble finding a job he got offered 3 in the 1st day of looking.

Too true Diane!

In a 7 and a half hour shift we are expected to do a minimum of 22 cuts with a target of around 25. The cuts cost $26 each for adults, pensioners $24, students $24 and kids $20.

The salon makes around $600 and the hardresser gets around $120.

I know that there are lots of hard working tradies who might not be very sympathetic but hairdressers also suffer from varicose veins, arthritis in the hands, repetitive stress syndrome, and increased levels of cancer from chemical exposure. There are plenty of back injuries too.

It seems quite odd that hairdressers migrate to fill a skills shortage but they are then 'lost" to other retail jobs as the pay is better.

Guest laurenburton92

oh okay then.

if i explain that i am from the u.k they could probably adjust me to their ways do you think?

i think maybe it would be more benficial for me to hand out c.vs rather than to apply online then

thank you

Guest puff the dragon
Too true Diane!

In a 7 and a half hour shift we are expected to do a minimum of 22 cuts with a target of around 25. The cuts cost $26 each for adults, pensioners $24, students $24 and kids $20.

The salon makes around $600 and the hardresser gets around $120.

I know that there are lots of hard working tradies who might not be very sympathetic but hairdressers also suffer from varicose veins, arthritis in the hands, repetitive stress syndrome, and increased levels of cancer from chemical exposure. There are plenty of back injuries too.

It seems quite odd that hairdressers migrate to fill a skills shortage but they are then 'lost" to other retail jobs as the pay is better.

I expect thats why there is a skills shortage poor pay:arghh:

• 1 year later...

Hi Tamara, am a fellow westonian looking to emigrate next year. Am training in Winscombe at the mo as I'm on an apprenticeship (late in life but needs must!) any advice you could give me? Anything I should concentrate on or do to improve employability? Applying for visa beg July, husband and kids already citizens. Moving to Adelaide (obvs)

Kylie

Hi Kylie,

Thanks for the pm.

If you don't complete your apprenticeship before arriving here you can always complete it at TAFE. They have waht's called RPL (Recognised prior learning) so bring as much documentation and proof of what you have done...it just means that you might not have to repeat things that you have already done.

For employability, there are salons that take on apprentice hairdressers...but not where I work.

Despite a blip in the economy at the moment there are still plenty of hairdressing jobs...but the pay is not great!

You will hopefully get some good feedback from this site as there are plenty of hairdressers active on here!

Take care.

Tamara