Plumbers

Guest addison

Guest addison

I'm sure this has been asked before, but if it has I can't find it.

We are currently looking to commence the whole scary process of visa application with a view to settling in the Adelaide are (somewhere)

I would like to know if poss what the average wage is for plumbers in either domestic or commerical plumbing as himself is a plumber/pipefitter, so any info about this area of employment would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Guest Perth Pom

Over here in Perth, the going rate for a wages job is around the $23-28 per hour for a 38 hour week, plus 9% super on top. I'm sure it will be similar in SA.

Please bear in mind that you will probably be a good few weeks without work, because you will have to take a course and pass an exam to be allowed to work here. I think the test is pretty straightforward, but getting on the course normally involves waiting around until a space becomes available!! And yes, Australia is desperately short of tradies. Something should be done to make things quicker/easier for new, qualified migrants.

If you want to become self employed, be ready to jump through a LOT of hoops.

Guest addison

Do you have to attend this course if you have passed a skills test in the uk? we have been lead to believe that once youv'e passed the skills test you are ok to work straight away???

Do I have this wrong??

Guest ben&sharon

Hiya,

My other half is a self-employed plumber here, so we've done a bit of research into this already, and our understanding is that you need a 'licence' to work in the plumbing trade in Oz. To get this, you unfortunately have to re-train to meet their requirements. A nice lady at the Plumbing Industry Association of SA suggested we contact the following for more information:

OCBA www.ocba.sa.gov.au or Tafe SA http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/

Have to admit, we haven't contacted them yet, so i don't know how helpful they are - let us know!! :)

Hope this helps,

Sharon.

Guest ben&sharon

Not a thing, I'm afraid! We haven't looked that far into it yet. Ben's plan is to 'network' the local pubs for a while to build up some contacts!! ;) Have to say, it seemed to work here.......!!

Sharon.

Guest Perth Pom
we have been lead to believe that once youv'e passed the skills test you are ok to work straight away???

Do I have this wrong??

I'm afraid so mate.

People really should write to their politicians once they arrive. People are being given very mis-leading and costly advice from UK.

I know many plumbers who have packed up and gone back home, rather than go through the rigmarole of obtaining a license. I'm talking blokes with 25 plus years experience, who have run their own successful busineses in UK. Just because you have passed your TRA, doesnt mean you can work here. Electricians have the same strife too. All other trades, it appears are OK.

Having said all this, stick with it, it's worth it. And many parts of the trade are very different to UK plumbing, so some training really is necessary.

Good Luck.:)