Job Opportunity for Migrants

Guest jwcs75

Guest jwcs75

Hi All,

Need some advice.

I've been recently granted the Regional Sponsored Visa 475 by SA government, and will be migrating to Adelaide in Sept 2010. But my main concern now is the job opportunity in Adelaide. Prior approval of my Visa, I've been applying jobs over the net but the response was not promising merely because I'm a Chinese or I could not attend a face to face interview.

I'm worried that the saving I got might not able to sustain my living if I could not find a job.

Please share your thoughts and advise the chances for migrants to find a job in Adelaide.

Many thanks.

:notworthy:

Hi All,

Need some advice.

I've been recently granted the Regional Sponsored Visa 475 by SA government, and will be migrating to Adelaide in Sept 2010. But my main concern now is the job opportunity in Adelaide. Prior approval of my Visa, I've been applying jobs over the net but the response was not promising merely because I'm a Chinese or I could not attend a face to face interview.

I'm worried that the saving I got might not able to sustain my living if I could not find a job.

Please share your thoughts and advise the chances for migrants to find a job in Adelaide.

Many thanks.

:notworthy:

What is your occupation?

Cooler

Guest kangomik

I guess you have to understand just how many over seas applicants they get, I know i struggled getting a response.

However 2 weeks before flying i managed to gain 15 interviews by adding flight details and arival times etc.

Again it's difficult for employers to plan 3 months down the line when they need some one now.

Tell us your occupation, this will help us to let you know how much work there is in that area

Guest jwcs75

Hi Cooler & Kangomik,

Thanks for the advice and valuable info given.

I'm in my mid 30s and have been involved in sales and marketing througout my career. Currently I'm a Business Manager for a foreign bank in Malaysia in-charge for merchant payment option.

Is not necessary for me to get the similar portfolio that I have now as long as there is job for me to sustain my living. In simple manner, I'm willing to take on any job offer as long as opportunity is given.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance. :notworthy:

Hi Cooler & Kangomik,

Thanks for the advice and valuable info given.

I'm in my mid 30s and have been involved in sales and marketing througout my career. Currently I'm a Business Manager for a foreign bank in Malaysia in-charge for merchant payment option.

Is not necessary for me to get the similar portfolio that I have now as long as there is job for me to sustain my living. In simple manner, I'm willing to take on any job offer as long as opportunity is given.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance. :notworthy:

I cannot comment personally on those fields. However, I do know people who have success in obtaining jobs in banking and marketing and they did not find it difficult.

If you are prepared to come and take possibly a backward step, you'll be fine. I would say the key is to get your foot in the door.

Best of luck,

Cooler

Guest emmaandlee

Hi,

I work for a bank and I had a telephone interview before I arrived, and a second interview when I finally got here. I am also on a 475, and they had no issues at all.

You will probably have to take a small step back, but if your skill is in demand the opportunities are there. But yes - you do need to be here for a face to face interview at some stage.

Good luck.

Emma

Guest jwcs75

Hi Cooler/ Kangomik/ Emma,

Thanks for all the feedback.

I feel much better and confident after reading all the response. The key should be getting myself in Adelaide first and I'm ready to take the challenge or even a step back.

Please keep in touch.

Cheers.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sannie!

After reading all the above, Good that I can see other 475 applicants. Well, I am re-posting one of my previous post. So, someone can advise me.please!!!!!!!!!:wubclub:

I really don't know what's is that lacking in me!I have an overseas tertiory qualification, overseas work experience, I am constatnly mailing, also, do regular visits to recruitment agencies, trying my luck with retail outlets as well. I am doing everyhing to the best of what I can. Yet, I haven't suceeded in securing even a part time job. Can you please throw me a hint! like - what else I could more.

advice please!

:)

Guest emmaandlee

I'm not sure what advice I can give....

I may have been lucky to virtually secure a job whilst I was still in the UK, but I can say that my Visa type was never an issue. I was asked about why I chose SA and I was honest and said it was the only option! But I am more than committed to living here.

Your CV is always key, and make sure you adapt it for each job. I have noticed from my work colleagues that when they apply for a job, they spend a lot of time making sure the application is perfect. Have you had any interviews? I can give some advice on interview technique if need be...

When I was looking I used SEEK mostly, but there are loads of jobs advertised in the Advertiser at the weekend.

Good luck

Emma

Guest Sannie!

Hello Emma,

The reason I chose SA is jjust the same as yours. ;) . NO other GO!!

I have sent some 250+ applications in last 40 days but unfortunate that I haven't received any call so far.NOT EVEN ONE! I do send all my applications only through SEEK.com but it hasn't worked for me till now..

I agree with what you've said 'Cv is the key'. I prepared it spending many hours and I cross checked with a consultant at skill recognition service to find out how good is that!?. she said "It was quite impressive with the format and not to change anything on the outline".

To my understanding the real little problems could be- overseas qualification, overseas work experience, work related refrees will apparantly be an overseas one, english is not my first language could also be an added disadvantage, though I am not sure, how far it is obvious!

Sannie, it might be worth trying to do some volunteer work - or if you haven't already done so, registering for some temping work, just to try and get an aussie reference. Even if it's not in the field you are hoping for eventually, it will give you a chance to prove your work ethic and conscientiousness, and show that you are prepared to get out there.

It's tough, and I wish you every success. Your English is excellent and I am in awe of someone that can speak it that well when it is not your first language. Good luck anyway.

Guest Sannie!

Diane

Thankyou, for the complients and for the healthy advise from you saying " to do some voulntary kind of work". Well, I went to adelaide city council to find out where can I really start at! but unfortunately, the lady officer incharge for these 'voluntary works' was on leave today. ;)

Besides, someone is saying the same as what I thought ;) please look at my previeous post.. Here is the link you go http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/17333-work-prospects-2.html

Guest mistofmind

Emma

i am also on 475 visa here for the last one month with 8 years of experience in financial industry but no interview call so far. i am from india. can you help?

mist...

Guest adelaideinjuly

can you please advise on how to receive consultation on cv writing as per aussie standards , I have hr , qa and admin experince on a managerial level , i tried to lower my titles and responsiblities but still receiving many rejections , any advise ?

Guest Sannie!

@Adelaideinjuly - Mate, Go to Skill recognition service ad fix an appointment with a consultant there. propably they should help you. Ofcourse! for free of cost ;-)