Carpenter/ joiner job wanted

Guest joolz

Guest joolz

We have been here 4 weeks now and Gary is wanting to get a job sorted soon.

He is looking to work on site for a buliding company.

He has 25yrs experience and is able to do 1st and 2nd fixing. He had his own business in the UK, mainly doing home improvements and purpose made joinery. Previously he worked on site.

Gary has got his own transport and has his TRN and White card. The only thing he is missing is all his tools which are due over and the end of August in our container. However he does need to buy some core tools as he did not bring everything with him. He has sourced these and will buy them once he knows what he will require to work with.

Would appreciate it if someone knows of a good contact or if anyone knows of any jobs coming up.

Please PM if you can help...

Hi, Joolz and Gary

I am a carpenter/joiner hoping to be in adelaide soon (sept/oct),and i was wandering if you had found it difficult finding work? this is my main worry as you read some horror stories and some good ones about finding work,hope to hear from you soon and will keep my eye on this thread , cheers Gary

Guest joolz

Hi sorry for not replying straight away...

Gary has not had trouble getting work but...the first couple of weeks we were busy finding a more permanent rental, kids schools around the rental and basically taking it a bit easy as we have not had much of a holiday for a couple of years, just enjoying being here really.

When you first come here you need to get a Tax Reference Number...if you do it on line it takes about 2 weeks plus, so there is nothing much to do until you get it. Also I'm sure you will be shipping tools, so unless you send the container ahead of your flights you will have to wait for them to turn up. Ours has been delayed a fortnight so unfortunately we will have to wait a litttle longer!!! You will also need a white card which you can go on a training day in the city and basically it's a case of turning up and going over health and safety aspects...although it will cost you c. $100.

Everyone says "oh if you are a carpenter you won't be short of work", but you need to be aware that their job descriptions are different to the UK's and Chippies are expected to do ground work etc...just depends which way you lean to on your carpentry/ joinery preference? Also they work in gangs on site so if you want to do site work you will need to find a contractor who works for a building chain or someone who is independant? There seems to be alot of work advertised for North Adelaide but not much South, although they are building loads down south? Word of mouth is a wonderful thing here and it does help to talk to as many people as possible to find your contacts.

Gary is applying for jobs and has had some replies already so hopefully something will turn up in the next couple of weeks...he need's to get back to work soon as he is getting bored with shopping centres, and secretly the family too lol!!!

Good luck to you Guys and before you know it you will be here with us...

Guest Damien

Hi Joolz,

I'm a brickie and the firm we are subcontracting for have a few chippies, apprentices etc. They have loads of work ahead of them, may be worth contacting them. PM me and I'll speak to them.

Damien

• 3 weeks later...
Guest janmoo

Hi guys

Whats goin on sept / oct must be carpenters in adelaide month! Lol hubby and i are headin the to from n ireland he also ha 27 yrsvexperience and built 3 homes for us here in n ireland. Im frantic that he wont get work! Im a beauty therapist and nail technician would appreciate any contacts. We have managed to secure a rental in glenelg which was great so we know where we re going. Mind you it is unfurnished and oh wants us to go straight to apartment from airport! We will be sleepin on the floor!

Will be fun tho excited and terrified at same time. Put the word out i can do beauty and amazing glitter gel nails i will be doin mobile to start! Omg omg 6 weeks to go!:arghh:

Hi joolz and gary,

just wandering if you had found anything ? and what its like . Hope its going well , Gary elaine and boys.

Hi there we are good thanks.

Gary has a promise of a job but is still waiting for his license to come through, could be a couple of weeks...yet another expense that no-one tells you about, $326!!!! SA say Carpenters don't need licenses but everyone is asking for them in the job adverts. Bring all your qualifications, vetasses certificate etc as you will need them.

There are not many carpenter jobs advertised I think alot is word of mouth so be prepared to put your name about a bit:chatterbox:.

Apart from no jobs yet we are enjoying it here and will have our container soon so some furniture to fill the house will be good!!!!

Weather is set to warm up soon as we move into spring:notworthy:can't wait!!!!

Bye for now ...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest seananfiona
We have been here 4 weeks now and Gary is wanting to get a job sorted soon.

He is looking to work on site for a buliding company.

He has 25yrs experience and is able to do 1st and 2nd fixing. He had his own business in the UK, mainly doing home improvements and purpose made joinery. Previously he worked on site.

Gary has got his own transport and has his TRN and White card. The only thing he is missing is all his tools which are due over and the end of August in our container. However he does need to buy some core tools as he did not bring everything with him. He has sourced these and will buy them once he knows what he will require to work with.

Would appreciate it if someone knows of a good contact or if anyone knows of any jobs coming up.

Please PM if you can help...

hi guys give me a call if u still looking 4 building work. i have a job thats 2 big for me on my own an cant find anyone willing 2 work with half a brain.cheers sean 0438869413