Any more mental health nurses?

Guest nicandchris

Guest nicandchris

Hi ive got a job as an RMN in Adelaide sponsored by the health service, but im wondering especially about the inpatient care. Im not intending to work on the inpatient units long term as my expertise is with eating disorders (hopefully get a job in that in the south) but may have to initially. Im a little concerned about the practices being behind that of england and the use of mechanical retraints. Im led to believe that the nurses are general trained but whom have undertaken extra training in mental health so that'll be a little different to what im used to. Additionally i may have to work shifts (which i havnt done for a few years) which is ok but im worrying about getting childcare for my 5,5 month old who will be 16 months or so by then. Im told they are flexible about child care but is this correct?

Lots of questions sorry just that it would be helpful to get some responses if possible

many many thanks

Nic:huh:

Guest nicandchris

hi not sure yet, as mentioned my experitise is with eating disordes but the manager there cant give me a def answer as to whether there would be a job in that particular department or not. As its a year away yet im told that nearer the time they will allocate me to whats available i.e. inpatient or community (pos queen elizabeth?) the community jobs will be all over. Its going to be difficult to decide where to live until nearer the time although we would like to live either near the hills or highbury? We will have to find childcare which is concerning for me as we wont have perm residency for the first approx 8 months and we will have to find a good nursery for him too. SOOOO many things to consider!

Guest nicandchris

hi there, whats happening is that CNAHS have written into my contract that they will apply for perm residency after four months of working with them. Apparently they are joining forces with the south Adelaide health service and that the ED services would become part of CNAHS? Are CNAHS ok to work for or difficult? Also whilst the ED is in the south is that i place that i would nt want towork near? I dont know it sounds from you mail that it may not be as easy as i thought? Thanks and would love a reply.

many thanks nic

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
hi there, whats happening is that CNAHS have written into my contract that they will apply for perm residency after four months of working with them. Apparently they are joining forces with the south Adelaide health service and that the ED services would become part of CNAHS? Are CNAHS ok to work for or difficult? Also whilst the ED is in the south is that i place that i would nt want towork near? I dont know it sounds from you mail that it may not be as easy as i thought? Thanks and would love a reply.

many thanks nic

Hi

The eating disorders unit is in Flinders medical centre. (just below the city) which is near the hills of belair/blackwood etc. You could request nightshift so long as you've got someone (hubby/partner etc) as its 12 hours, all shifts in the city upwards are 12 hour shifts. Nurseries open at 0630 (ABC ones, others 7.30am). They should be able to tell you a couple of months before you get here where they'll put you, but wherever this is it'll stand you in great stead to get your head around services/funding etc. I'm moving south soon, so can't comment on the south yet, only the old CNAHS (city and north). the good thing is, now that they're all one service you can transfer between the two subject to vacancies. I would take Elaine's advise and update your visa to a permanent resident as childcare will cost you a fortune without it, as you get subsidaries etc, and 50% back every three months, without it you'l struggle unnecesarily. I really regretted this.

Sarah

• 3 months later...
Guest fluxsta
I would suggest you apply for permenant residency while in the UK,now would be good.

As you'll then be free to work wherever. There is no eating disorders in CNAHS. The eating disorder unit is in the south. Please think carefully. Pm me if you wish..

Hi there,

Coming over for recce next Feb with my wife and kids, is it a good idea to try and meet face to face with people in various hospitals and employment agencies. Mental health nurse, worked mainly substance misuse. Currently with Priory Group in UK......any pointers on what hospitals or agencies to get in touch with before we go, or when we get there?

Guest deleriumal

Another 2 RMN's here, looking to move over in Nov 11. DH has experience in addictions but has been told they are based privately so he will get somewhere in the acute sector. My experience is in CAMHS but they have offered me Liaison Psychiatry which I am really looking forward to since I have been working in intensive and crisis outreach within CAMHS.

I was reading with note re: PR. If the agency we applied for the jobs with are pursuing a 475 (presumption that it's this) can we still apply for PR on top of this privately?

Thanks

Guest nicandchris
Another 2 RMN's here, looking to move over in Nov 11. DH has experience in addictions but has been told they are based privately so he will get somewhere in the acute sector. My experience is in CAMHS but they have offered me Liaison Psychiatry which I am really looking forward to since I have been working in intensive and crisis outreach within CAMHS.

I was reading with note re: PR. If the agency we applied for the jobs with are pursuing a 475 (presumption that it's this) can we still apply for PR on top of this privately?

Thanks

Hi there i think you can do what you like, you are still sponsored by them as on the 457. Also did they actually tell you where you would be placed? Mostly they wont let you know until just before you go?