plasterers

Guest nurse sue

Guest nurse sue

does a uk trained (time served, no formal training, but doing it for 15 years) plasterer need a licence to work in south aus?

and if so, is it easy to get? or will it entail tafe training?

thanks for any replies

:wubclub:

Guest the4hopes

He will only need a licence to go self employed, my husband works for a small business, just went straight into the job, this has been his second job.

Guest nurse sue
He will only need a licence to go self employed, my husband works for a small business, just went straight into the job, this has been his second job.

hi, thanks for replying.

is there much work around for plasterers? from what i was picking up from various forums, most plasterers work as self employed?

cheers :wubclub:

Guest The Morleys

Hi Sie

I am a x plasterer and looked into the job front when I first came over. As above to work for someone you are fine as long as you get your white card (for site work), which takes a day.

Working for yourself is a different kettle of fish, you have to either have 2 years of books from running your own business in Australia OR do a contractors course. The coures can be done at home over a couple of months up to a year (obviously you are not working whilst doing this) with such as TAFE OR with a certified business that does it over a couple of weekends. The couple of weekend is the bset obviously and costs arround $1300. When you have done that it takes a while but you end up with your contractors licence. Then you have to get in touch with 'the business and occupationl services' and book in for a supervisors intervies, where they ask you specified questions about your trade and if you come across ok, then thats it. This si all of the top of my head and its being a while so I may have some bits wrong. IT takes a while and is a pian in the bum. The bus and occ serv will laso give you the names of the businesses that do the short courses. they should be you first port of call.

good luck!

Just reading along, my husband is a plasterer also. (23 years)

Is it easy for him to get a job??

(hoping to move next year, now waiting for the SMP, but any 457 offer is welcome ;) )

Guest the4hopes
Just reading along, my husband is a plasterer also. (23 years)

Is it easy for him to get a job??

(hoping to move next year, now waiting for the SMP, but any 457 offer is welcome ;) )

As I said above, it's best to email and phone, there aren't many jobs advertised. My husband has been plastering a long time aswell, and we had our own business in the UK, the Australians and Italians(who my husband works for) have their own ways to plaster and alot of techniques are different to how my husband has worked, and has had to change to their ways, sometimes better though!

As I said above, it's best to email and phone, there aren't many jobs advertised. My husband has been plastering a long time aswell, and we had our own business in the UK, the Australians and Italians(who my husband works for) have their own ways to plaster and alot of techniques are different to how my husband has worked, and has had to change to their ways, sometimes better though!

They still are in the dark ages still use sand cement and lime. No bonding or browning here no board finish either.

Guest Tterrier81

hi, just been reading this and was hoping someone could help me, i have done a little bit of plastering/flushing and was wondering if any plasterers out there need an apprentice, i have been lookin for an apprenticship for a while now and im finding it really hard as im 28 and no drivers licence, if anyone can help please let me know, cheers,

terrier

They still are in the dark ages still use sand cement and lime. No bonding or browning here no board finish either.

That's great, my husband is very good in that while renovating churches!! :wubclub:

And sometimes using reed to finish the job!! :jiggy: