Its not what you know.....Its who you know!

taffordbark

Since moving here we have found this statement to be so true,,,our eldest daughter struggled for 5 months after coming over from the uk ,with a first class honours degree to get any sort of work,,even at coles and woolies .

Eventualy after a word with a friend in the fox and firkin, and, she managed to get a job at the royal adelaide hospital !

Her boyfriend was in the same boat and we had a word with a guy we knew who worked at a well known wardrobe and bathroom manufacturer and hey presto! instant job!

We are now trying to find somebody who can help our 16 year old daughter get a part time weekend job , she has been down all the routes of trudging round with her c.v,follow up calls,applying online to all the usual suspects, all to no avail, we arent giving up hope because we know eventualy a word in the right ear will get her the job she has been so desperately searching for,,,so if any of you guys can help, please pm me.

Guest caoimhe

My 1st job was through a friend of my Aunts, My 2nd through my friends mother.

Hubbys 1st job was through a friend of a friend of my uncle his 2nd through a member on PIA posting the job....;)

You are absolutely right. My OH struggled to get a job. Guests of ours managed to get him an interview by bypassing all the internet nonsense (cv's vanish into cyber nowhere!) and he's been working there ever since.

My teenage son just started at Woolworths after sending in plenty of applications so perseverance does work. Take a look at the WOW (World of Woolworths) site and send the applications out. A lot of the jobs are for younger people. I hope that someone on here knows of something...please let us know if it works out.

Hope that it does!

Tamara

Yes, that's the way it is here IMO.I spent 6 months Emailing resumes without any success(usually never heard again)Then lo and behold,a mate informs me of an alternative route to take,like pay for a course that will guarantee work,and it did!Who you know get's you a long way when looking for a job,but that is a worldwide thing,not just here.:wideeyed:

Not always the case - I got my job after an online application, no previous work experience, no references other than UK Uni and there were 85 applicants and 2 days of interviews for my position! Still no idea how I managed it, lol. As for hubby, it was a case of right place right time.

Wheras my Sister with Aussie references, flexible hours, degree qualifcations etc still can't find anything.... the job market here is very random

Guest adelaideinjuly
Since moving here we have found this statement to be so true,,,our eldest daughter struggled for 5 months after coming over from the uk ,with a first class honours degree to get any sort of work,,even at coles and woolies .

Eventualy after a word with a friend in the fox and firkin, and, she managed to get a job at the royal adelaide hospital !

Her boyfriend was in the same boat and we had a word with a guy we knew who worked at a well known wardrobe and bathroom manufacturer and hey presto! instant job!

We are now trying to find somebody who can help our 16 year old daughter get a part time weekend job , she has been down all the routes of trudging round with her c.v,follow up calls,applying online to all the usual suspects, all to no avail, we arent giving up hope because we know eventualy a word in the right ear will get her the job she has been so desperately searching for,,,so if any of you guys can help, please pm me.

i totally agree , i have been searching deeply for two months now with no outcome , constantly editing my cv but still couldn't secure an interview

started thinking of going back home

Guest Matey2

I applied for one job from Seek and got it. In fact I applied at 5pm on Tuesday and was called at 9am on Wednesday and asked to an interview. I was offered the job the day after the interview. I had no Australian experience or references and the organisation went out of it's way to get references from the UK.

I know I was lucky, but I think it helped that I applied for a job well below that of my previous UK role which compensated for my lack of Australian experience.

I now work in an organisation linked to the recruitment sector and I would say that Australian employers have different ideas and expectations to UK ones. First of all, they require applicants to be 'work ready'. They are usually not prepared to pay for training, so if you can afford to get the some courses under your belt, then do so. They will generally be open to the idea of an unpaid trial too. So cold calling organisations you would like to work for and offering to work for free for a day to show them your skills can be a great way to get a job.

Labour hire agencies such as Trojan etc are always looking for production workers. Again, having a white card is a HUGE advantage.

If you are claiming Centre link benefits and are not obliged to register with a Job Services provider, then do so. These agencies seem to have cornered the market in employment placement and have all the contacts.

Good luck :wubclub:

i totally agree , i have been searching deeply for two months now with no outcome , constantly editing my cv but still couldn't secure an interview

started thinking of going back home

Come on now - you've made it here, don't fall at the first hurdle. :confused:There must be someone on here who can point you in the right direction:nah: