Arghhh HELP pls - NURSES, what is going on over there??

Hazel M

Hi, My hubby is a Neo-natal intensive care nurse & since our reccie back in Nov 2007 has kept in touch by email with Flinders (when we were there, he was shown around the unit and basically told that with his skills, he would not be turned away for a job).

We are thinking (as we now have possible tennants lined up for our house here as its still not selling) that we will be in arriving in January. Basically, we dont have the cash to arrive & then look for work - he needs to have a job secured before we go.

He called his contact at Flinders and was told that there were no jobs at the min and they would not be able to hold something for him til Jan, although said they still were very interested in him (not much use unless there's a job too)and to call back in Oct / Nov. He was also told that almost nationally in Oz - that nurses are just on 12 mnth contracts now :shocked:

So yesterday he spoke to an agency in London who were nearly tripping over themselves that we've already got our visas but told him they'd only got a couple vacancies - somewhere in NSW & somewhere in Tasmania :arghh: :arghh::arghh:

What do we do now???? We want to be in Adelaide NOT Tasmania!!!! Flinders was the best hospital because we want to live somewhere like Mount Barker, Mount Lofty, or Mclaren Vale... but now anywhere around Adelaide is going to be preferable than somewhere not even in SA!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has any contact names for other hospitals which have neonatal units then I'd be really glad to hear from you - or even the name of a good nursing agency that he contact from here would be fab. Really starting to worry now as we seem to have been up against it in one way or another from the start and now this is the final hurdle. We've even said he could go on ahead of me if a job came up for him and me and the children could follow on. Just don't know why there are suddenly no jobs?

Any help / contact names or even info on what is going on with nursing jobs at the moment very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hazel x

I think it may be that he's a neonatal nurse rather than in general nursing. Most hospitals here prefer their staff to be flexible in where they can work as far as I know. My Mum's a cardiac nurse and she's got a permanent job at a private hospital, who sponsored her visa, so in her case, a 12 mth contract was never mentioned. I'm guessing they are just hesitant to give a permanent job to someone they haven't met and haven't seen in the workplace. Can't blame them really! I don't know any more - there are lots of nurses on here who'll be able to offer advice xxxx

Apparently the fact that he currently works in a speciality is in his favour.

He is able to be flexible - can do both aduls and paediatrics. Both Flinders and the agency said that if he were a general nurse with no speciality it would be even harder to find work!! Its just that they were saying about how few jobs there currently are thats making us panic.

The Womens and Childrens hospital has a NICU. He should email the hospital. I don't know why he was told nurses are being hired on yearly contracts. The norm is usually a short contract to see if you suit and then a permanent one. Can he do PICU? because the WCH also has one of those and most of the patients are under 5.

Guest nicandchris

Hi Flinders told me a similar thing tho luckily i have a job lined up the the health trust generally but want a speciality job at flinders. i emailed my cv and they responded well but said that they cant let me know about a job until nearer to the time next year which is understandable.

Guest thekings
Hi Flinders told me a similar thing tho luckily i have a job lined up the the health trust generally but want a speciality job at flinders. i emailed my cv and they responded well but said that they cant let me know about a job until nearer to the time next year which is understandable.

I had a similar response and was told to go in and see them when I actually land in Adelaide. To be fair I suspect that they are literally inundated with nurses wanting jobs with them but then cannot commit due to other offers, problems with visa, registration, families and the list goes on. Whereas if you turn up on the door with registration in hand and available to start there and then, they will probably take you more seriously.

I don't know if thats the case, I'm just making assumptions and trying to keep myself optimistic, but it sounds good to me. :D

I had a similar response and was told to go in and see them when I actually land in Adelaide. To be fair I suspect that they are literally inundated with nurses wanting jobs with them but then cannot commit due to other offers, problems with visa, registration, families and the list goes on. Whereas if you turn up on the door with registration in hand and available to start there and then, they will probably take you more seriously.

I don't know if thats the case, I'm just making assumptions and trying to keep myself optimistic, but it sounds good to me. :D

It does sound good! And I suspect there could be something in it, doesn't make it any easier unfortunately as we;ll not be landing anywhere til we know there's a job to go to though!!

A friend of mine travels from Mount Barker to the Women and Childrens so that is not too bad, perhaps when you have an actual date for arriving they will be moreinterested. When you have booked your tickets contact them again and see. He can always if all else fails join an agency like NASANSB, as he can do NICU, Paeds and adults he will not be short of work. I regularly get work at Flinders NICU and I don't do ventilator so someone that can do it all should be fine.

Good luck and keep us updated

Guest cornish Busdriver

My missus works in flinders theaters.

She was working at the Calvary wakefield but wanted out so appiled for noarlunga and flinders and got offered both.

She said the best way to get into flinders is wait to you get here and phone the theater manager, if you go through personal you can be waiting ages.

She said its a great screwy bunch of people there and she loves it aparts from the C4 shifts.

I took my hubbies CV into Noarlunga Hospital and said 'hes a wicked nure and I reckon you will want him to work for you!' they called him within 24 hours for an interview and was offred a job almost straight away even without ED experience. Dont panic I think is the key, be brazen and walk in to the hospitals CV and passport in hand and ask for a job. Good luck with it xx

Guest happy feet

i currently work at Flinders and a girl on my ward is from Canada and she has been told that Flinders is not sponsoring any overseas nurses as they are over budget! I spoke to my manage who said the same, although they over budget, they also understaffed and nurses here on strict at the mo, so no money to sponsor nurses from overseas. I no it a hard decision coming out with no job, but i'm sure once here he would have no problems... Like u say, send him out on his own maybe and see if he can get something before u all come out..not ideal i no!!!! Good luck

Guest SA Great

I know for a fact that the Flinders are employing a lot of asian (chinese) and indian nurses because their governments pay half of their wages. I know it sucks but thats what I have been told.

What with all manufacturing going to China I reckon it won't be long before we are all on boats trying to get into China instead of the other way around!!