Looking for work, can anyone help?

wesandmel

Hi,

Here is my situation, I transferred here to Australia from the UK just over two years ago. I have been contracted with my employer for two years due to Visa regulations. Since being here I have never really enjoyed my job here or working for this company. I have persevered due to having a wife who is studying and three sons all at school.

As my contract is now up I am looking at my options for employment. Unfortunately I have found that due to my lack of qualifications there is not much choice. You seem to have to be qualified in everything here, including how to pull a pint. The other issue is that there are only three companies who specialize in what I have been doing for the last 15 years. They are not however in the state of SA and I am not willing to relocate the family again.

I have 15 years work experience. 13 years in production and the last two in project co-coordinating, staff management and general customer service and sales.

I guess what I am asking is, does anyone know of anyone who is looking to employ someone with experience but not necessarily being qualified in anything.

I have looked at all industries and different jobs within the industries and I would be happy to try my hands at anything. I have a resume available and cover letter if anyone would like to view and think they can help.

Cheers

Wes

Hi Wes,

Have you thought about registering with some of the employment agencies?

I had a couple stay with me...he was a landcape gardener. He struggled to find work but walked into a management job in retail after an agency opened a few doors. In fact...on the very same day, he received a letter of confirmation that he had the job, and a letter to say that he had been unsuccessful!!! The positive one was the response to the agency and the negative one was an online application.

Good luck with your job hunting. My OH is in the same boat....qualifications not worth diddly here.

Tamara

Definitely worth registering with some agencies, and the best way to do this is go in person. OH was made redundant here about 18 months ago, and wasn't hearing anything - finally rang the agencies and said "If you have anything you are not putting me forward for because you think I am too experienced/the pay is too low/the contract is too short, please do put me forward, I will do anything" - he got a short term contract, which was then extended, then he was taken on to contract direct for the same firm, and he is still there now. Still not what he is qualified for/good at/enjoys but at least it opened a few doors for him. This is in Project Management. So many jobs don't even make it to the advert stage, they just go to someone who is known/known of, so the more you can put yourself out there the better.

Thanks for your advice.

I probably should have been a bit clearer. When I said that my contract was up I meant that I no longer had to work for my current employer. I am still employed with them, but I am able to look elsewhere.

The problem I see with registering with an agency is that it’s not guaranteed permanent work and with a family to provide for I cannot afford to leave my current employment and go to an agency.

What I am ultimately looking for would be a permanent position, a career change. And as mentioned before I would try my hands at anything.

Cheers again for the advice.

Hi,

Sorry...by agency I mean employment agency. They act as the link between the employer and work seeker. They screen and arrange their clients (you) cv's, references etc and contact you when there's a suitable position to apply for. The jobs will range from casual to permanent but most will be full time permanent depending upon what you are looking for. The employer pays the agency fee when one of their clients successfully gets a job so it's in their interests for you to get employment.

In the case of the person who's now a manager at a retail store the agency was paid $6000 by the company that employed him! He's also not happy where he is and the agency is now sending him for other job interviews.

Guest WhatNow?

Best to get a resume ready, check it out that it is suitable for Australia (one of the members of this forum can help with that - Suzer?) then go into town and just walk in. Be ready to tell them what you have done and where, and whether you have any IT skills - most of them will give you a set of skills tests Word, Excel, Typing, Data Entry (don't worry they aren't grim at all!). I would try Julia Ross in King William Street and Talent2 in the Westpac Tower (corner of King William and Pirie Street) and Entree (Hender) in Flinders Street. They will ask you to submit the resume via email but if you just do that without visiting them personally you won't get the same response.