work needed on working visa please

tina&steve

hope you guys can help??? My son and his mate who are both 20 are coming to Adelaide in November (YAY at last). They are hoping to come on a working visa for upto 12months. Do you know how easy it is to get work here for them?? by trade my son lays paving (streets and drives) and his mate lays flooring but they would do anything.

Thanks in advance

Tina xx

I'm sure there is a forum where you can advertise your skills etc......just dedicated to the younger ones on working holiday visas......... may be good to look for that!!!!

Our daughters bfriend came over on a working holiday visa.......and within two weeks got a job as Xmas casual...... in fact he hasnt been out of work since arriving and now has his second year visa!

Good Luck...... ;)

Guest tinkham_lee

Hi,

I am currently on a working holiday visa (2nd year) and I have struggled to find work.

To start with I was lucky and a friend gave me a job as a labourer but he had to let me go after 4 months,

I signed up with agencies and managed to get a few days work here and there as a labourer but it wasn't a guaranteed income, this was on and off for 2 months, then managed to get work picking grapes which lasted all of 3 weeks. I now managed to get work as a cnc machinist (my trade) but only because I'm applying for residency through my partner who is PR

None of the shops looked at my cv, even McDonalds and KFC turned me away, (I worked in McD's in England for a year) I found I was too old and too qualified for many Shop causal positions, I'm 23 and have college qualifications. lots of shops want 14-16 year old causals (as they get paid a lot less), and dont want people with restrictions on the visa, MYER said no as soon as I said I was on Working Holiday visa.

Im not saying the work isn't there but just be prepared for lots of looking and lots of rejections.

I ended up driving around all the industrial estates asking for work, even going into the same places 4 or 5 times.

I hope your son and his mate don't have the problems I had.

All the best

Guest nicandchris

Hi i came over on a working visa some years ago however did the whole year working on farms i.e. grape picking in South Australia, Bar work and waitressing in Melbourne, on an Avacodo farm in Perth and Orange tree pruning in Queensland and we were never short of work if you look for it. In fact we earned so much money that we could spend a year in New Zealand after doing travelling and working on farms here and there. If you can get it into your head to do farm work then its really rewarding and something that id never do in the UK so its interesting. Im unsure of the farming work around Adelaide at this time of year but we found out in backpackers and just ringing around from the paper.

Guest nicandchris

hi there no it wasnt too bad, the only problem was when our team was sent in too early to prune some smaller trees after the machine had picked the fruit. We had to prune around red back nests with hundreds and hundreds of baby red backs but i used to just remove problematic red backs with my tools to other trees before i pruned them (bit time consuming). I was never bitten by anything tho. I camped for three months doing that job and it was great fun!!

hi there no it wasnt too bad, the only problem was when our team was sent in too early to prune some smaller trees after the machine had picked the fruit. We had to prune around red back nests with hundreds and hundreds of baby red backs but i used to just remove problematic red backs with my tools to other trees before i pruned them (bit time consuming). I was never bitten by anything tho. I camped for three months doing that job and it was great fun!!

:swoon:eeeekkkkkkk rather you than me!!! :)