Careers advice

Guest Anne29

Does anyone know anywhere in adelaide where you can get careers advice? I've looked on google and found nothing and am getting quite desperate...

Basically after doing a number of admin jobs since being here, (I've been here just over 3 years) I've decided that I actually am starting to dislike office work. I've had a number of bad experiences, such as jobs being advertised as admin, but turned out to be pure accounts roles. I had to leave my last admin job as the office manager (my line manager) was making my life hell. The other staff picked up on this and someone mentioned to her that her behaviour towards me was not good. After this she wasn't as hostile towards me, but she'd totally ruined what would have been the perfect job, so I left.

I've been doing a casual job for about 4 months (cleaning) and was told on monday that all the staff there would be losing their jobs in 3 weeks, me included (this was due to our company losing the tender for the renewed contract). I'm gutted as this was my only way to keep myself sane whilst I looked for something permanent as well as having some money to contribute to bills to take the strain off my fiance having to pay for everything.

I really could do with some careers advice. I have a BA Honours Degree in Early Childhood Studies majoring in Special Educational Needs and would therefore like to get back into working with children. My degree qualifies me as an Early Years Practitioner but would like to start off being a teachers aide so that I can build my knowledge up of the education system out here. I've heard that to be a teachers aide, you need to hold a first aid certificate, is this correct? I really don't know how to get into it but need some advice as in 3 weeks I will have no job.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

Hi Anne,

When we attended the information day with DIAC at 55 Currie Street, I remember them mentioning that there was a careers advice centre about two doors down, which dealt specifically with helping and advising recent arrivals.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply, it is much appreciated. I will go into the city tomorrow and see if I can find this place.

hi Anne,

we have been here nearly a year and I can't believe ho hard it is to get work!! I am at the moment an sso/hpi at a primary school but it is only 5 hours a week. I had visions of it being like in the uk and working mon - fri but these jobs come up raelly rarely and hours are offered to those who have been there the longest as everyone is on a part - time contract at this school. We are quite a way from adelaide too so it might be different for you where you are. I was told by one school that I had to do a certificate 3 in childcare and another school new nothing about this so i am a bit confused. I think that you do have to have a first aid certificate, police check and a number from decs before you can work in the classroom. I only got my hours by leaving my resume at the school. Hope this helps, i have all the info if you would like me to email it to you about the childcare course.If that would help then pm me and I will get it to you. Rach

Had a careers meeting this morning and have to say found it very useful and starting to feel more positive about exploring the idea of working with children again.

Regarding the first aid certificate (for working as a teachers aide), the careers advisor said that it is very likely that this will be needed but may vary from school to school.

I also found out that I may need a child protection license (which involves going on a days course to update my knowledge on child protection), but this may not be definite, again for anyone wanting to work with children, ring around schools and ask..

If anyone wants more info on the advice that I got, drop me a pm (it's too long to put it all down on here) as I'd be happy to share that knowledge.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied:notworthy:

Guest Rich&Susie

Hi Anne,

Don't know if this is too late, but when i come over to Adelaide in October i'm going to see a student advisor at the TAFE. I guess that this would only apply if you wanted to re-train though?

Rich.

Hi Anne,

Don't know if this is too late, but when i come over to Adelaide in October i'm going to see a student advisor at the TAFE. I guess that this would only apply if you wanted to re-train though?

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Thanks, that's good advice but won't need to re-train. Good luck for when you come over. I may have knowledge that I can share with you in that time, so feel free to drop me a pm if I can help.

I think there is a career jobfest going on at the showgrounds on the 22nd of sept. Might be worth taking a look.

Thanks for that, but after the careers advice meeting, feel that I know which direction I'm heading in. Very useful to know though, so thank you for taking the time to reply.

An update (this info may be useful for anyone wanting to work with children):

I have found out that I may need to have my Degree recognised out here, which means that no only do I have to show my degree to the Skills recognition service, but also a transcript of every grade that I received during my degree, what a pain. I found this information out by calling the skills recognition service (freecall - 1800 658 887)

I have also found out that in order to work with children, you will need:

* A police check.

* Department for Families and Communities Criminal History Record Check - this costs $57.20.

* Child Safe Environments – Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect Certificate (Formerly Mandated Notification Certificate). I have a list of places that do this, so pm me if you would like them. Not sure on the cost of this but do know that it only takes a day to get.

* First Aid Certificate (BELS Course or Senior First Aid)- this can be with anyone that offers the course, although St John's Ambulance or Red Cross seem to be the main choices when you google first aid.

Hope this information is of help to others.

For anyone wanting careers advice, you can arrange an appointment (it's by appointment only) by calling:

Freecall: 1800 662 736 or

Email: cic.adelaide@centrelink.gov.au

The Careers Information Centre is based on:

2nd floor south, 191 Pulteney Street,

Adelaide, SA, 5000.

It is part of Centrelink, but you do not have to registered with centrelink - it's a career's advice centre for EVERYONE!