Construction and Mining

Guest JamesP

Hi guys,

i understand from some of my research that Australia is still having a large demand in terms of Construction and Mining work, despite the current world economy.

Does anyone know if there is much work for machinery operators ( e.g shovel and telehandler drivers?)

Whilst i am coming to OZ on a WHV initially i am looking at longer term prospects aswell. If anybody could give me an idea, it'd be appreciated.

Cheers

Jim P

Guest Chandan

my husbands english cousin got a job in the mines in NSW driving massive trucks.. he didnt need a truck licence because it is on private land.. he gets paid $35 an hour.. not bad for a personal trainer!

Jim,

Not only mining, but the railways are booming at the moment. The company I work for are advertising for loads of different jobs.

No problems getting work in the heavy construction sites.

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

Chandan, how did he manage that?! lol. what visa did he go out on?

Mez10, is the work in the Adelaide area, or Oz in general? Although i'll probably do a bit of seasonal work, my best chance of permanent migration is as a machinery operative. Also, most sites in England now you need a CPCS or CSCS card, although my current work on a coal site doesn't (though this is very rare now).

Does Australia have anything equivalent to these? I understand i'll probably have to take a skills test so i can get the ozzy equivalent of my ITSSAR shovel and telehandler tickets.

Again, the advice and help always appreciated! :D

Jim,

You will need a White card to work on any Construction site. It's just a one day 'listen to Aussie's Health and Safety rules' nothing special.

Yes on the skills test for any machinery, there's plenty of company's that do the testing.

On the Railway, you would require different inductions for each railway company. It's not like the UK (one company owns the lot) We have ARTC, TransAdelaide, WGA to name a few.

You would be better joining a 'Labour hire company' We use several UC Rail, GTE, Nash Rail, Skilled, there's loads. They would sort out your training and get the work.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...
Guest wakefieldinoz2006

hi,i work in the mining industry now back in south australia,but was working over in western australia earning$ 38 an hour on the dump trucks cat 793s,most companys will want you to work through labour hire ie skilled,intergrated,hays , 3months probation then maybe taken on full time,you will need a white card ,(one days training $120 approx some comps will pay it) to drive a dump truck most companys require a heavy rigid licence(class 2 in english) costs $1500 + ,you will need to take medical and drugs test paid for by company if you pass interview,but they are screaming out for operators in western australia ,thats where most of the work is happening,south australia is slowly getting back on its feet,coal mining is gennerally happening in queensland and nsw,seek.com.au is a good place to start for oppertunities,oh and dont just email them ,they will just ignore you most of the time,try and get a phone number and speak to the mining and construction co ordinater in person,so they can advise you better, i work for lucas earthmovers in sa and they are after operators also

Guest Chandan
Chandan, how did he manage that?! lol. what visa did he go out on?

Mez10, is the work in the Adelaide area, or Oz in general? Although i'll probably do a bit of seasonal work, my best chance of permanent migration is as a machinery operative. Also, most sites in England now you need a CPCS or CSCS card, although my current work on a coal site doesn't (though this is very rare now).

Does Australia have anything equivalent to these? I understand i'll probably have to take a skills test so i can get the ozzy equivalent of my ITSSAR shovel and telehandler tickets.

Again, the advice and help always appreciated! :D

Sorry JamesP, I have only just saw this, He is married to a lovely Aussie girl, not sure what visa he is on but its definatly not a Partner Visa just yet as he is asking loads of question for that one. He lives in Orange in NSW so not sure how he got the job.

If I didnt have young kids I'd probably go work on the mines too, I here there is over 30,000 women working on the mines. That would be an awesome way to get some serious savings in the bank. Good Luck!

Thanks again guys. Wakefield in OZ, sounds good. I'll put some feelers out and see how it goes. I know mineral exploration and processing is booming in SA due to the PACE program, so fingers crossed i'll be able to secure some work. I know by working in mining or construction i can automatically qualify for a 2nd whv, giving me time to secure long term employment (hopefully) :D

• 4 months later...
Guest jlr248

My OH is a plumber with 20 years experence in UK. We hope to get to Adelaide later this year and he is looking for plumbing work but is also interested in working in construction or mining. I could ask loads of questions but basically any advice regarding potention employers, job and wage prospects would be helpful. Look forward to hearing from anyone with info or advice. x

• 1 year later...