IT Manager Looking for Work

GaryP

Having been in Adelaide now for just over two weeks, I feel that I should actively start looking for work.

I understand it can be quite difficult to break into the senior management circle in Adelaide so am looking for a leg-up from anyone that may be able to help.

To start my search I have registered with the key recruitment agencies and had initial meetings with them. If anyone knows of any available positions that would suit me or can assist I would be very grateful.

I am an experienced and technically accomplished IT professional looking for a Senior Management Position. For the last 7 years, in the UK, I was employed as an IT Director and managed teams of IT System Engineers whilst providing high level consultancy and Infrastructure Architect services.

My technical skill set is focused around but not limited to Microsoft Windows Server & Networking, Citrix, VMWare, Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft SQL.

If you can help on my quest for employment or know of any one who can I would really appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Gary

Gary,

Which agencies have you registered with? My top three would be Hudson, Hays and Talent2.

Don't take any c%$p about taking a lower rate to get your foot in the door either! They won't!

I think there are loads of contract jobs around at the mo ... and even more when the Gov finances get announced in a few weeks.

Rgds

Nick

Ps. And if you need a good BA ...

Guest WhatNow?

I would add Paxus (Grenfell St) and Candles (I think it is - somehting like that anyway, someone will correct me if I'm wrong). One of our recent clients was an IT project Manager in the UK and found the best way to get work was to get a foot in the door by taking short term contracts. It took him 6 months and one or two contract jobs (useful to get some Australian references on your CV) before getting offered a job similar to what he was doing in the UK. You have to expect to go down a few rungs before you go back up - this is our experience (unless you are very lucky or head hunted). Adelaide is very much a networking place - or as some would put it 'Not what you know but who you know'. The attitude of local companies is that you may know a lot about IT but you know nothing about the local working culture, and they like to try you out first.

Thanks Guys,

I have 'signed on' as it were with Paxus (and a number of others) and found Maria to be very helpful and pleasant although she hasn't had a suitable position yet.

I think the strategy I will probably go with is to hold out for a couple of weeks for a just incase I can get a lucky good permanent position and then switch to contracting as I have noticed plenty of contracts about although I will need to research methods and rates etc.

In the UK I was instrumental in setting up a small business offering IT support to other small businesses so I have not discounted this as an option either although this will be a lot more challenging than simply getting a job!

I very much agree that Adelaide is a little clicky and I will need to build up a local knowledge and build some business relationships but it does feel like a real uphill struggle to get in to the right circle and I am starting to feel like very unwanted!! I have been passed over for at least two positions because of the lack of local experience.

A little frustrating but the only way is onwards and upwards!

Cheers

Gary

Guest WhatNow?

Yes Gary, unfortunately it does feel a bit like that at first. Paul found it frustrating too. He kept his eye on the paper and on Career One and he recommends that if a job is advertised with your agency for which you have not been asked to apply, ring them and point it out. I know Paul was mystified why he hadn't been put forward for at least two jobs for which he had more than the required skills and experience. He discovered that the companies were clients of different consultants at the same agency!

Good Luck - the last resort is you offer to work for someone for free for a couple of weeks to show what you can do - I have heard several instances where that has worked too, though it may not be appropriate at this high level in an organisation!

I was an IT manager when I arrived in 2004 it took me 3 months to get a job, I took a lower level job but it didn't bother me, as I got a job I loved (it included free wine, and working at Penfolds in Magill).

I have since changed track, more than once, and now work for myself (not IT) but still do a bit of IT stuff for friends (yes I do have many!!!) etc.

Something will come a about. Two weeks is nothing, but if you don't get something in the next 8 weeks, it could be a longer wait than you anticipated, as Aus does close down in Dec/Jan.

Good luck.

Thanks Guys,

I am not concerned about taking a lower level job and in someways may prefer that as going back to a more technical and a less mangerial role seems a whole lot less stress and may make my first year here a little more enjoyable.

I hear what you say about the fact that everything shuts down during peak summer, the recruitment agents have warned of the very same thing. I don't think I could go long term without doing something it would drive me insane!

I think if there is no light at the of the tunnel over the next two weeks I think I will take stock and either try my hand at contracting or try to set up my own business (or both!).

Anyway if anyone hears of anything that may suit me I would appreciate a heads up.

Cheers

Gary