Work Licence / business course

niknjas

Hi

Have been working for an aussie guy subbying since I got here and am now getting well and truly hacked off with it as slightly antiquated to say the least. So decided going to work for myself again and make enquiries to OCBA.

Not sure they are for real. Ran my own business in UK and now they are saying I have to do a business course to work for myself again or at least subby for BORAL. has anybody else been through anything similar and attended one of these courses and could tell me what it entails before I start ranting too much?

Thanks

Jason

Hubby did his license through Master Builders Association on South Terrace. He attended course for 2 days and then had to take the test. It does include some sections on finance and marketing. When you get results, you apply to OCBA and provide you certificate along with a current SA police check, information on all of the work you have done here (we also supplied info on work in UK) and references. They review your aplication. It took about 4 months for the whol process and cost around $1500.

Once you have license you can work for yourself. Hubby is bricklayer but I'm sure it would be similar for you?

Hubby did his license through Master Builders Association on South Terrace. He attended course for 2 days and then had to take the test. It does include some sections on finance and marketing. When you get results, you apply to OCBA and provide you certificate along with a current SA police check, information on all of the work you have done here (we also supplied info on work in UK) and references. They review your aplication. It took about 4 months for the whol process and cost around $1500.

Once you have license you can work for yourself. Hubby is bricklayer but I'm sure it would be similar for you?

You may be able to do the same through the HIA (Housing Industry Association) so perhaps compare the two?

Guest Gina & Alan

Hi mate,

Ok if you have a skill that needs a license you must do the tafe course over 6 weeks ( 1 night a week)in business studys 2 modules or do it over 2 weekends at master builders.

Soon as you have done that you can apply for your license straight away no time restrictions,

It does not matter that you had your own business in UK you still have to do business course.

you then have to show references from aussies companys and uk companies to prove you can do what you say you can do when applying for license.

Thanks for that. Going to do the MBA fast track one and try and get on for next month. Someone said on here it took four months for their licence to come through - is that the norm?

Cheers

Jason

From going on course up until receiving licence in post was around 4 months for Jim. (oct till Feb) so I suppose take into consideration Xmas shutdown. He did the fast track at the MBA too.

Mel