Any advice?

Guest ajp

Hi All,

Until January I worked in the UK with children with special educational needs and specifically autism and aspergers syndrome. Although I am working in Adelaide I haven't managed to find employment simular to what I was doing back in London.

I have a BA Hons Degree, although not specific to Special Educational Needs and an NVQ Level Three in Learning Support with children with special educational needs and eight years experiance in this field. So does anyone know,

a)How I find out if my UK qualifications are transferable?

b)How I get the necessary Australian qualfiications to be able to look for work in my field of experiance?

If you have any ideas I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Alex

Hi,

When I was teaching recently there was a child in the class with Asperger's, who had a support person who was trained and I think she is working for Relationships SA. Would be worth contacting them directly. What is your degree in? I have expertise in the areas you've mentioned and have found that schools are really lacking in knowledge and support for these conditions.

There is an organisation based in the city that assess qualifications and tell you what they'd be equivalent to over here, can't remember the name - will post when I remember. You should be able to google it, or maybe look on the DIMIA site.

Thanks that would be really helpful!

Alex

"from my friend who said she would be happy for u to facebook her so send me a pm if you want.

I don't think she will be a registered teacher here, as she didn't say she is a teacher. Sounds like what she did was similar to me! Suzer I don't have my logon details so if you could reply for me haha: Autism SA will have positions sim...ilar to what she probably did, but in my opinion I don't recommend working there unless she wants to travel to 15 different schools a week and have Stress illness in her future. I recommend applying to individual schools (or perhaps DECS as a whole) for Student Support Office positions. With 8 years experience though, I'm not sure if that is what they will be looking for.

agree with Dianne- also try HR at Education Department. "

Guest WhatNow?
Hi,

When I was teaching recently there was a child in the class with Asperger's, who had a support person who was trained and I think she is working for Relationships SA. Would be worth contacting them directly. What is your degree in? I have expertise in the areas you've mentioned and have found that schools are really lacking in knowledge and support for these conditions.

There is an organisation based in the city that assess qualifications and tell you what they'd be equivalent to over here, can't remember the name - will post when I remember. You should be able to google it, or maybe look on the DIMIA site.

Skills Recognition Services Ground floor, 55 Currie Street Adelaide SA 5000. Postal Address: GPO Box 320. Adelaide SA 5001. Telephone: 1800 658 887

Take your certs with you and they will check back with the awarding institution, equivolate it to a similar Australian qualification and give you a letter for each qual confirming their findings. Use this letter when applying for jobs. Took about 2 weeks when I did it and it is free.

Hi All,

Until January I worked in the UK with children with special educational needs and specifically autism and aspergers syndrome. Although I am working in Adelaide I haven't managed to find employment simular to what I was doing back in London.

I have a BA Hons Degree, although not specific to Special Educational Needs and an NVQ Level Three in Learning Support with children with special educational needs and eight years experiance in this field. So does anyone know,

a)How I find out if my UK qualifications are transferable?

b)How I get the necessary Australian qualfiications to be able to look for work in my field of experiance?

If you have any ideas I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Alex

I have just phoned the Department of Education and Children's Service's (DECS) and was informed that not only would they have to see my Degree Certificate, but also every transcript with every grade that I ever received during my degree course. This is going to be a bit of a pain for me as all my work is in different boxes in mum and dad's loft and would take weeks, possibly months to go through. I am going to try and ring my university up, as they should have this information in their archives (hopefully!!).

Thought the above info would be useful for you as you will need every grade that you ever received during your degree. When you have them, you can take them to:

Ground Floor

55 Currie Street

ADELAIDE SA 5000

They are open from 9am to 5pm and was informed that you don't need to make an appointment, you can just turn up.

Hope this helps.

As been said already try Curry street to get your certs sorted.

I work just doing relief as Modbury Special school just as an SSO (teachers Aid) and I think they would snap you up!! They may also help you get you DECS ID Number (they did me) PM ifyou need some more info:D.

Other than that Autism SA in Netley might have work for you my son has Aspergers and they help him loads and he is in main stream school.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice as to what I need to do to find out about training and job possiblities in SA. I will follow those ideas up and let everyone know how things go for me.

Cheers

Alex