Is There Much Work For Brickies In Adelaide

Guest RachnTom

Guest RachnTom

Hi Guys im new to this site please be gentle, as the title says is there much work out there for brickies, we are very undecided where we are heading to once we get our visa, we have never been to oz and dont know a soul so we are going there blind, we know we want to or more so need to go to where the work is,we have two young children so areas with good schools would also be important, any info and advice would be appreciated thanks in advance ;)

Hi RachnTom,

Welcome to PIA, the construction side of things is really booming or so our migration agent says!

With so many new build properties going up, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

There is a lot of good advice to be had on this site, so no doubt someone will be able to answer your question a bit better.

Good Luck!

Guest RachnTom
Hi RachnTom,

Welcome to PIA, the construction side of things is really booming or so our migration agent says!

With so many new build properties going up, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

There is a lot of good advice to be had on this site, so no doubt someone will be able to answer your question a bit better.

Good Luck!

Thankyou for the welcome :)

Guest ozadele
Hi Guys im new to this site please be gentle, as the title says is there much work out there for brickies, we are very undecided where we are heading to once we get our visa, we have never been to oz and dont know a soul so we are going there blind, we know we want to or more so need to go to where the work is,we have two young children so areas with good schools would also be important, any info and advice would be appreciated thanks in advance ;)

My husband and two sons are brickies, one of our sons is in the Uk in London working as a brickie at the moment, he's been there for a couple of months now and enjoying it. There is lots of work around Adelaide for brickies, generally either side of the city North and South as there is lots of new house building going on. Less work for renovations or extensions. All the trades in South Australia ( and I think all other states too) must have a licence to work, which can be a time consuming process to organise and its not something that you can do prior to leaving the UK. Some advice would be to keep a port folio of any work that you do, for example photos and also references from either firms or private work that you have done. You will need to show this as part of getting your licence. Most work is sub-contract for the big house building firms and you will likely have to do a short course around bricklaying and the legislation associated with the building industry before you can sub contract. There are a few big companies that have work on the books but the money is not as good as sub contract work. I am a teacher so as far as schools go I think that closer to the city Northside is generally ok and all of the southside is good. We have both large high schools and smaller area schools which cater fpr students from aged 5 through to 18 in the on school but the school is usually small in number of students, approx 300-500 across those year levels. Hope this is useful, keep in touch and let us know how you are progressing and if we can help in any way.

Cheers

Deb & Wayne :)

hi there

we have been here for 7 weeks now and hubby is a bricklayer. the only thing he had to do was a health and saftey idiots test to enable him to work on the sites here. they do the test every thur and fri (apply to master builders when you get here, you need your citb card). the test is 4 hour long , $80 and when you pass they issue the card at the end of the test.......hubby says just common sense!

After this he phoned bricklayer ads in local paper and started work, the wages not great but you can get by on it fine.

he works mon - fri from 7am to 3pm and takes home after tax $831.00 per week, he has the option of doing sat morns 7am to 11am but not bothering for now.

He's on $34 per hour but $9 of this is put into a super annuation fund for retirement, also including in the take home is travel expenses!

hope this helps, we have 3 children so bear in mind that depending what type of visa you come on you will be entitled to family tax benefit, which boosts your income a little more per week.

bye for now

andrea

Hi Andrea we are applying for a 136 independent visa, are 136 independent visas entitled to family tax benifits

Cheers Rach

Hi,

I dont know about family tax benifits as I have not looked at these things, but the 136 is a perminant residency visa so am sure you will get it.

simon

hiya

we came on an 136 and entitled to ftb, it all depends on what you earn, how many kids you have , their ages etc....

you also have to declare any overtime and pay rises otherwise you may end up with a tax bill at the end of the year but vice versa they will owe you if not been paid enough, just be honest with what you have.

a few people i have met just take the basic payment and wait for the rest of the entitlement at the end of the tax year, good idea if you can afford it.

If you rent a property (privatly rent) you can recieve rental assistance.

We are a one wage family, with a home still up for sale in gibraltar, we have 3 girls under the age of 9, we roughly get about $550 every 2 weeks thats including the rental assistance.

hope this helps

andrea

Hi,

I dont know about family tax benifits as I have not looked at these things, but the 136 is a perminant residency visa so am sure you will get it.

simon

hiya

we came on an 136 and entitled to ftb, it all depends on what you earn, how many kids you have , their ages etc....

you also have to declare any overtime and pay rises otherwise you may end up with a tax bill at the end of the year but vice versa they will owe you if not been paid enough, just be honest with what you have.

a few people i have met just take the basic payment and wait for the rest of the entitlement at the end of the tax year, good idea if you can afford it.

We are a one wage family, with a home still up for sale in gibraltar, we have 3 girls under the age of 9, we roughly get about $550 every 2 weeks thats including the rental assistance.

hope this helps

andrea

hiya

hope this helps

andrea

sorry don't know why you got that twice!!

Guest salisbury massive

Just be aware regarding licences, if you are employed or sub-contracting you don't need a full licence. If you want to go out on your own its a completely different ball game. OCBA will be able to give you more information

http://ocba.sa.gov.au/ Just select Licencing from the grey area on the left.

The other Federation of Master Builders is also a good place for information.

http://www.mbasa.com.au/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=MBASA/ccms.r

Legal and Workplace and Code of Practice on the dop down boxes on the left.

• 1 month later...

any contacts

looking for general building work,done a lot of blocking and stonework in uk not much brickwork though,is there work out there or not would appreciate any sort of

info on this

cheers

Rik