Going to Adelaide for 4-6months on a WHV as a Welder

Guest mcgartland

Guest mcgartland

Hi to all,

Im going to head over to Adelaide in February for a few months on a WHV, just wondering what the crak is with getting work in Adelaide. Im a qualified welder but i am willing to work at anything from mine work/farming/road works/welding etc

Is is beter to go out with work sorted before i leave or would it be ok to land and look for work.

I will be staying with my sister that lives and is a citizen in Adeliade.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Guest Guest5035
Hi to all,

Im going to head over to Adelaide in February for a few months on a WHV, just wondering what the crak is with getting work in Adelaide. Im a qualified welder but i am willing to work at anything from mine work/farming/road works/welding etc

Is is beter to go out with work sorted before i leave or would it be ok to land and look for work.

I will be staying with my sister that lives and is a citizen in Adeliade.

Thanks in advance

Tony

unless you have trade papers and are signed here in adelaide, i think the only work you might get will be back street places, i might be wrong though.

stevo

My nephew came over here a couple of years ago on a WHV....he was here from December onwards...he did various work, such as kitchen hand, working with a carpet company as a kind of labourer...almond knocking and grape picking down in mclaren vale...i cant remember what he earned..

if you are prepared to pretty much do anything, you should be able to get work....

Dont think you'd secure work before you come....

Guest WhatNow?

When you get here go into some of the backpacker hostels in the city as they all have noticeboards where local employers post jobs suitable for WHV holders. Chatting to some of the people in there will give you an idea of where the jobs are and who pays what - sometimes the employers will provide transport for groups of workers so it's as well to make yourself part of the network even if you aren't staying there and you'll find out from people who are already doing the jobs.

Guest tinkham_lee

Mclaren Vale is about 40mins south of adelaide, and you get paid for the number of buckets you fill. more buckets = more money, the price varies from day to day depending on which vinyard you are working on. you can expect to get around $100 a day if you work quick. you will need your own transport.

Hi Tony,

I arrived in Adelaide in January on a working holiday visa. I read your post after being in a similar situation & can give you lots of advice.

I was based in Seaford and was staying with my girlfriends family, im not sure where you are going to be based in Adelaide but if you can let me know that would be great.

The grape picking work is not fun! Firstly you will need a car to get to the sites, the meet up is at 6.00am & the organisers I worked with did not like people talking whilst working. I also found that the MADEC office in McClaren Vale wanted you to go down there daily to sign a form each day to express your interest.

The season was nearly over in February/March and I would say it starts much earlier. The working conditions were poor, with the tractor occassionaly running out of drinking water for everyone. I also know for a fact that if you don't keep up, they will get rid of you, i'm 28 & work hard but this really took the piss!

Even speaking with Australians, most of them wouldn't touch the grape picking work.

As for your welding, you will probably need to do a TAFE course to get a certificate, and if you want to go on building sites you will also need a white card, which is a health and safety course.

I also found that with the 6 month working condition on the visa, most employers were not interested. If you e-mail me at steven_flood@hotmail.co.uk I can give you more advice or get you or your sister to call me on 0430 887 450. I work as a hospitality attendant on the trains, so if I don't answer its probably because I have no signal or im working, so leave a message and I will do my best to get back to you.

All the best,

Steven