Carpenter - licencing

Guest foxesonthemove

Guest foxesonthemove

I am being told that in order to find work as a carpenter in Adelaide I will need to obtain a Building worker scontractor licence which will involve taking an 11 week course called the Timber framing code and then a further 2 courses in business subjects. (MBASA). I would then be eligible to apply for my licence with the OCBA.

I have been told a white card alone would not be enough because nearly all carpentry work is on a sub-contract basis.

Would I still be able to work whilst I was completing the course as 3 months off work isn't in the plan.

Finding it very confusing at the minute. This is the last piece in the puzzle before we can apply for state sponsorship!:goofy:

Terry

You will still need your white card but thats only a day course. If you do want to work for yourself you will need to do a couple of courses including the timber framing code one and business and legal course which you can do over 2 weekends and a test at home to do. You can also do it at night school over about 10 weeks one night a week . You should be able to pick a job no probs depends what you want to do.

Guest hughescl
I am being told that in order to find work as a carpenter in Adelaide I will need to obtain a Building worker scontractor licence which will involve taking an 11 week course called the Timber framing code and then a further 2 courses in business subjects. (MBASA). I would then be eligible to apply for my licence with the OCBA.

I have been told a white card alone would not be enough because nearly all carpentry work is on a sub-contract basis.

Would I still be able to work whilst I was completing the course as 3 months off work isn't in the plan.

Finding it very confusing at the minute. This is the last piece in the puzzle before we can apply for state sponsorship!:goofy:

Terry

You can apply for your SS without this we did, I would not mention that you are looking at self employment as our agent said they prefer migrants to be employed to fill the skills gap. Claire