Looking for admin/reception/legal & medical admin jobs?

Hi

I work at a College which offers training in Certificate II and III in Business and Business Administration courses, Microsoft short courses, MYOB and resume and covering letter writing workshops.

All the students at the College have access to our free job referral scheme where employers contact us with their vacancies and we put forward recommended and interested students. Until I started working at the College I had no idea this route to obtain a job was available and often you are only competing against a handful of applicants, instead of the 100's they will get on seek. Obviously there are no guarantees, but thought I would let people know this route exists.

Gaining employment in my opinion is a big part of a successful migration experience and I personally feel that gaining Australian qualifications is a worthwhile investment that can help you initially and long term with your job prospects - I know they have certainly helped me.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would bump this post up again.

At this time of the year office jobs begin to dry up and Dec/Jan are usually the worst months to be looking for work, but employers are still contacting me with vacancies.

Once again, this is a route to gain office employment that I did not know existed until I started working at the College, so I thought I would bring it to peoples attention.

• 2 months later...

Hi, it's been a while since you posted this, but it is possibly the best I have found for my requirements.

We are debating on emigration to adelaide. I would have been there 5 years ago following our first visit, my OH on the other hand got the wobbles when his Dad was ill. However, we are coming back next year to hopefully re-light the fire for my OH. So, to the point - I have worked in General Practice based finance and administration for most of my working life, and would like to work in some kind of medical based administration post in Oz. I am currently taking my AMSPAR Diploma for Medical Secretaries whilst still in the UK, and hope to move into a hospital based post.

My questions are: What are the equivalent quals? Do you know if the UK ones are recognised? and have you got any idea what kind of salary to expect for medical admin posts?

I appreciate your time for lokking even if you don't have any answers, I have trolled through BE and PIA but can't seem to find any info that I require. Thanks again

Niz :)

Hi Niz

I would probably have a look on SA Healths website for medical admin/secretarial job information and the sort of positions that are advertised.

Corporate and administration :: SA Health

At the College where I work, students that are interested in working in medical admin undertake the Certificate III Business Administration (Medical) course, which helps them get a foot in the door. There are other courses you can do on specific medical units as well.

How that helps.

:DThank you. x

Hi Niz

I would probably have a look on SA Healths website for medical admin/secretarial job information and the sort of positions that are advertised.

Corporate and administration :: SA Health

At the College where I work, students that are interested in working in medical admin undertake the Certificate III Business Administration (Medical) course, which helps them get a foot in the door. There are other courses you can do on specific medical units as well.

How that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rachelg125

Hiya, was just wondering if you are doing the home study method of your AMSPAR course, if so, which one did you choose....and have you figured out if this is accepted in AU? Thanks :)

Hi, it's been a while since you posted this, but it is possibly the best I have found for my requirements.

We are debating on emigration to adelaide. I would have been there 5 years ago following our first visit, my OH on the other hand got the wobbles when his Dad was ill. However, we are coming back next year to hopefully re-light the fire for my OH. So, to the point - I have worked in General Practice based finance and administration for most of my working life, and would like to work in some kind of medical based administration post in Oz. I am currently taking my AMSPAR Diploma for Medical Secretaries whilst still in the UK, and hope to move into a hospital based post.

My questions are: What are the equivalent quals? Do you know if the UK ones are recognised? and have you got any idea what kind of salary to expect for medical admin posts?

I appreciate your time for lokking even if you don't have any answers, I have trolled through BE and PIA but can't seem to find any info that I require. Thanks again

Niz :)

Just thought I would bump this post up again.

At this time of the year office jobs begin to dry up and Dec/Jan are usually the worst months to be looking for work, but employers are still contacting me with vacancies.

Once again, this is a route to gain office employment that I did not know existed until I started working at the College, so I thought I would bring it to peoples attention.

what kinda fees do they charge for these courses??

Very good points...........

I came over here 5 years ago with alot of experience in admin....only thing lacking was accounts experience. I soon found that looking for part-time admin work was extremely difficult as they pretty much want you to be able to do a bit over everything. So many jobs advertised wanted you to be proficient in Microsoft office (which i was)...reception work (which i was)...and so on and so on.....then they would want you to be proficient in either MYOB or Quikbooks...which i wasn't.....I done some basic book-keeping back in the UK, but not to the level required.

So i decided to go to an adult college and learn MYOB....best thing i did! Without it, i wouldn't have the great job i have now.....

Hiya, was just wondering if you are doing the home study method of your AMSPAR course, if so, which one did you choose....and have you figured out if this is accepted in AU? Thanks :)

I am doing the AMSPAR through Keynet......haven't started yet though. It's possibly the cheapest and offers exactly the same qualification at the end. Only thing is you do have to go to Leicester to sit the exam:(

And I haven't found an answer yet as to if it is recognised in Oz. I will post if I find out though.:jiggy:

Niz.x

If you are paying for this course yourself, my advice would be not to undertake it and wait and complete a Certificate III Business Administration (Medical) once you are over here, this will have far more weight when applying for a medical receptionist/admin/secretarial position in Adelaide.

One of the units you will study is Prepare and Process Medical Accounts (information attached), which will not be studied as part of a UK course as the Medicare/billing system you will learn about is unique to Australia.

Very good points...........

I came over here 5 years ago with alot of experience in admin....only thing lacking was accounts experience. I soon found that looking for part-time admin work was extremely difficult as they pretty much want you to be able to do a bit over everything. So many jobs advertised wanted you to be proficient in Microsoft office (which i was)...reception work (which i was)...and so on and so on.....then they would want you to be proficient in either MYOB or Quikbooks...which i wasn't.....I done some basic book-keeping back in the UK, but not to the level required.

So i decided to go to an adult college and learn MYOB....best thing i did! Without it, i wouldn't have the great job i have now.....

This is very true, in the UK admin and finance jobs are usually 2 different roles, but like you say over here they want you to do a bit of everything. The employers that contact me with jobs usually want someone that has good IT skills and often MYOB as well so they can do the invoicing or receiving money for example and cover reception - multi-tasking/skilling is definitely the name of the game!!

Aside from accounts jobs, I can't see that these courses are anything less than a money-making sham, to be honest. I've never had any difficulty finding admin work, even in the medical field. Experience counts far more, and when filling out selection criteria etc, you need to be able to demonstrate that you can do the job, not that you've taken a course.

Aside from accounts jobs, I can't see that these courses are anything less than a money-making sham, to be honest. I've never had any difficulty finding admin work, even in the medical field. Experience counts far more, and when filling out selection criteria etc, you need to be able to demonstrate that you can do the job, not that you've taken a course.

You are entitled to your opinion. However, I do not see education and training and gaining qualifications to improve your skills, knowledge and employability as 'a money-making sham'. I can only speak from my experience that gaining Australian qualifications has helped me considerably and without them I would not have the job I have today. It also helps our students and employers approach us with jobs that are never advertised because they want students that have gained the skills and qualifications we offer.

Guest Guest5035

Are these courses recognised by the goverment, or is it better to go through TAFE instead?? As alot of "colleges" seem to open and get the money then go bust a few months later, leaving everyone out of pocket and no certificate.

Stevo

Are these courses recognised by the goverment, or is it better to go through TAFE instead?? As alot of "colleges" seem to open and get the money then go bust a few months later, leaving everyone out of pocket and no certificate.

Stevo

The colleges you may be referring to are the ones aimed at International students. I work in the domestic market and all our courses are accredited. People are free to choose whether to go to TAFE or a RTO and it is down to the individual what suits their needs and requirements.

I will be running Resume Writing and Cover Letter Writing Workshops in March. These are paid workshops which offer the opportunity to gain an insight into the current job market in office/administration positions and the chance for you to create a resume and cover letter that gets results.

If enough people are interested, the workshops could be tailored specifically for migrants wanting to gain employment or change jobs/progress in their career in Adelaide.

If you would like more information, please send me a PM.