Healthcare Work In Adelaide

Guest punkrokka

Guest punkrokka

We're were told tonight by an agency to forget about Adelaide when it comes to getting work in Healthcare.

It was a bit doom & gloom regarding cutting back and people already on the ground struggling to get jobs in nursing, midwifery and so on.

A better picture was painted about other areas.

Any thoughts ?

Guest punkrokka
who gave you the information?

what did they say?

what is their experience of healthcare in adelaide?

Dont agree withmost of it!

Don't want to start naming & blaming but as far as I know it was an established healthcare recruitment company that covers Adelaide and other areas.

All they said was very much as I posted, that the work isn't there and other areas would be worth looking at instead.

The difficulty from this end is knowing if an agency has the interest of the individual in mind when it comes to offering placements.

What parts do you disagree with ?

Guest nicandchris

Hi in respect to nursing the goverment has been recruting hundreds of nurses from overseas and particularly the UK to fill the shortage however this is in mental health rather than pathology! Yet it is healthcare!

Guest punkrokka
All of it!

IMHO there are a lot of opportunities in health care here in adelaide.

Seems a very strange thing for a recruitment company to say?

Can't speak for all specialities but certainly in my field (pathology labs) jobs are very, very hard to come by.

Thanks, at this stage it's hard to know if an agency is just trying to fill a gap regardless of the area, the call we had was very pushy on Melbourne, I suppose that is their job, or if they are offering good advice.

It's direct entry midwifery that I'm trying to find out a bit more about, do most people use a recruitment agency or a more direct method to find employment.

Are there any horror stories of agencies to avoid.

Guest WhatNow?

What you have to remember about all recruitment agents is that they are getting paid not by you but by their clients. If they have a contract to fill in Melbourne then that is why they are pushing you towards Melbourne. Some agents have a good spread of regular clients, others will chase and take new contracts wherever they can, then try to fill them with a recruiting drive. There are rumblings that some areas of Healthcare in SA have been a little oversold recently in terms of overseas recruitment (especially in encouraging nurses from countries where they are paid very much less than here and thus can be persuaded to take less well paid jobs) and this is what is starting to impact on the new SA trained nurses, who potentially cost so much more to employ. Crazy after spending all the money to train them, but Hospital Managers are trying to make the money go as far as they can and you can see the twisted logic.