Australian work ethics

Guest adelaideinjuly

Guest adelaideinjuly

I am starting a new job next week after six months of hard search and would like to receive your advise concerning the australian work ethics , Do's and Don'ts , what they look after , how managers evaluate , what is considered rude and not professional , lunch break , coffee break , would they appreciate arriving early and staying late ,...

Thank you

Guest Guest5035
Take as much time off sick as you like, stab your work mates in the back and suck up to the boss and your fit right in:biglaugh:

i didn't realise we worked at the same place.

stevo

Gosh you lot work in some horrible places! Nothing like that where I work at all!

In my opinion, don't turn up late: no need to get in hugely early unless you've been asked specially to do so, but give yourself 5 or 10 minutes to get yourself sorted, get yourself a cuppa and turn your computer on, if you're using one. I officially finish at 2:30, but usually work till at least then, then pack up, which takes another 5 or 10 minutes. My boss is really considerate and the hours were negotiated in the days when I had to get to school to pick the kids up, so always asks in advance if she wants me to work extra hours or days.

Depends on the sort of job you're doing, but if you're in an office there is often a kitchen and fridge, sometimes a microwave, if you want to bring your own lunch, or there will probably be a "deli" nearby where you can buy hot stuff at lunchtimes. Lunch breaks are not usually paid for, and most people don't take more than about half an hour. You should get some sort of induction when you first arrive, telling you about emergency procedures etc. If not, ask. Oh, some places do drug and alcohol tests, specially if you might be handling machinery, so don't turn up drunk or high!

Generally work ethics are just the same as in the UK - imagine what you'd ask of an employee if you were the boss, and behave accordingly. If in doubt, ask, as everywhere will vary in terms of dress code etc. Adelaide is a real networking town so try and treat everyone politely as you never know where and when you'll run into them again!! Don't talk negatively about anything, any place, any religion, any sports team, until you're sure the person you're talking to doesn't live there, or passionately support that team (until you get to know them better anyway, after that feel free to say their team is rubbish!) and try not to compare anything unfavourably with the UK as that doesn't go down too well! Oh and the term "Pommy Bastard" isn't necessarily an insult and can be a term of endearment!!!

i didn't realise we worked at the same place.

stevo

:biglaugh:

Gosh you lot work in some horrible places! Nothing like that where I work at all!

In my opinion, don't turn up late: no need to get in hugely early unless you've been asked specially to do so, but give yourself 5 or 10 minutes to get yourself sorted, get yourself a cuppa and turn your computer on, if you're using one. I officially finish at 2:30, but usually work till at least then, then pack up, which takes another 5 or 10 minutes. My boss is really considerate and the hours were negotiated in the days when I had to get to school to pick the kids up, so always asks in advance if she wants me to work extra hours or days.

Depends on the sort of job you're doing, but if you're in an office there is often a kitchen and fridge, sometimes a microwave, if you want to bring your own lunch, or there will probably be a "deli" nearby where you can buy hot stuff at lunchtimes. Lunch breaks are not usually paid for, and most people don't take more than about half an hour. You should get some sort of induction when you first arrive, telling you about emergency procedures etc. If not, ask. Oh, some places do drug and alcohol tests, specially if you might be handling machinery, so don't turn up drunk or high!

Generally work ethics are just the same as in the UK - imagine what you'd ask of an employee if you were the boss, and behave accordingly. If in doubt, ask, as everywhere will vary in terms of dress code etc. Adelaide is a real networking town so try and treat everyone politely as you never know where and when you'll run into them again!! Don't talk negatively about anything, any place, any religion, any sports team, until you're sure the person you're talking to doesn't live there, or passionately support that team (until you get to know them better anyway, after that feel free to say their team is rubbish!) and try not to compare anything unfavourably with the UK as that doesn't go down too well! Oh and the term "Pommy Bastard" isn't necessarily an insult and can be a term of endearment!!!

Diane can you get me a job there:goofy:x

Guest kangomik

Find a nice tree to park under when it's hot, then you can leave the aircon on and have a snooze.

Learn to speak AFL, because thats all there is on a monday morning.

Don't mention the Ashes in your first week, they are a little touchy about it.

Relax, smile, enjoy and make friends with everyone. It's only work.

ohh if there is beer in the fridge ask before you drink it.

Make sure you know the rules when it's your birthday, are you buying or are they?

You may have Barbie brecky's or a barbie after work (if your lucky once a month) your expected to attend.

Don't forget about the sick days, check if you need a Dr's note for 1 day off or 2 or more. all though the new work legislation states you need neither, but you wouldn't want to start a new job stating that kind of stuff.

Be flexible if you can, and multi-task, very few jobs involve just one role (possibly due to smaller population)