White card ?

garyandelaine

Hi everyone,

Been here just on a week now and really enjoying life at the mo.

Got quite a bit done so far ( bank accounts , medicare , TFN , Car , Centrelink - they fobed us off and told us to apply online . )

Can somebody let us know how to get a white card (i am a carpenter)or if i need one straight away and anything else that we will need to do pretty soon .

THANKS , GARY ELAINE CONNOR 6 DYLAN 3 :notworthy:

Hi Gary. I'm also a carpenter and coming over in February. Reading your post about needing a white card; do you know if I would need one of these to work on a subcontract basis? Also just wondered what you did about your tools and getting them over. I'd planned to stick them in the container with everything else but obviously won't be able to work for about 6-8 weeks until they arrive. Trying to make contact with local builders about work availability but not getting too far. Sorry about all the questions, there just seems so much to sort out!!

Thanks

Simon

Hi Gary. I'm also a carpenter and coming over in February. Reading your post about needing a white card; do you know if I would need one of these to work on a subcontract basis? Also just wondered what you did about your tools and getting them over. I'd planned to stick them in the container with everything else but obviously won't be able to work for about 6-8 weeks until they arrive. Trying to make contact with local builders about work availability but not getting too far. Sorry about all the questions, there just seems so much to sort out!!

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon , everyone needs a white card to work on a building site (i think) its like the cscs card in uk . to be a subby you need a builders licence( ABN ) which you have to do a course for (a couple of days i think) , someone on here could tell you for sure.

I put most of my kit on the container (whitch doesnt arrive till feb) but put some tools in our cases cos we had 40kgs allowance and i used them till we left. basic hand tools (hammer chisels screwdrivers ect , also paslode , cordless drills as well. I think the best thing to do is approach sites etc when your here as there seems to be loads going on (in the south anyway) I will try after xmas as things seem to be winding down for the holidays. hope this helps Gary.

Thanks

Simon

Hi You will need a white card if you are working on building sites one of the first things they ask for Its only a day course to get it.As for working as a subcontractor you will need to get an ABN can be done over the net but you must have a builders licence which can take a while to get. You will have to complete a course and pass it to get your builders licence.Can be done over ten weeks or over two weekends and then the test.You can work for someone on wages with out a builders licence as they will have one but if you want to be a sub contractor you need a builders licence along with the relevant insurances.

Hi Simon , everyone needs a white card to work on a building site (i think) its like the cscs card in uk . to be a subby you need a builders licence( ABN ) which you have to do a course for (a couple of days i think) , someone on here could tell you for sure.

I put most of my kit on the container (whitch doesnt arrive till feb) but put some tools in our cases cos we had 40kgs allowance and i used them till we left. basic hand tools (hammer chisels screwdrivers ect , also paslode , cordless drills as well. I think the best thing to do is approach sites etc when your here as there seems to be loads going on (in the south anyway) I will try after xmas as things seem to be winding down for the holidays. hope this helps Gary.

You will find there is not much going on and not many houses being put up things tend to slow down a couple of weeks before xmas and a couple of weeks after new year that is when most people take holidays.

Hi You will need a white card if you are working on building sites one of the first things they ask for Its only a day course to get it.As for working as a subcontractor you will need to get an ABN can be done over the net but you must have a builders licence which can take a while to get. You will have to complete a course and pass it to get your builders licence.Can be done over ten weeks or over two weekends and then the test.You can work for someone on wages with out a builders licence as they will have one but if you want to be a sub contractor you need a builders licence along with the relevant insurances.

You won't need to do a course for your licence if you have all your paper work, Gary took all his info up to someone in Adelaide and they processed it in a couple of weeks...can't remember where he went and he's not here to ask...will post info later!!!

Thanks Joolz. Which paperwork are you referring to? When we applied for our visa it was before they brought in the requirement of everything, as in qualifications, being on paper. It was satisfactory to have lots of different references from different sources. I don't know if you were processed this way too? It'd be good it what we have got is sufficient.

Hiya...yes wasn't sure what Gary took but he has said it was his certificate from Vetasses for his skills test, UK City and Guilds certificates and his apprenticeship papers. The Vetasses Certificate has a significant number on it which made Gary's easy to process...not sure how easy it will be for you as you don't have this? It was The Office of Consumer and Business Affairs at 91-97 Grenfell St...may be worth a phone call just to check if you have enough evidence to process the licence. The number is 8204 9644. Or check out the website www.ocba.sa.gov.au

Hope this is of some use and good luck with your licence.

ps. Gary got his white card from the Construction Industry Training Centre at Regency Park, 8301 4500 it was $100 and was a day course. He said you were literally given it for turning up lol!!!!