NVQ 3 Childcare qualifications

Guest c4ndygirl

Oh crikey.... i didnt know the rules had changed either. I'm NNEB which is the equivalent to your level 3, and was going to get work on my husbands visa, so i'm stuck now..

What do the new rules entail?:realmad:

Hiya,

Don't panic .. although NVQ 3 and NNEB are the same in the U.K they might not be classed the same in adelaide, however if you are getting your qualifications assessed through your visa or like me having to do it separately then they tell you what level its at. You can still work though your just classed as unqualified just under Diploma Its still not bad money more than the U.K nursery nurse!

Liz

Guest c4ndygirl

Thanks Liz,

Where did you go to find this info? Is there a website i can check?

We have applied just on my husbands qualifications, hes an electrician, so we have gone for the 136 visa. I just wanted to to work when i go there.

Thanks again

Candia:o

Guest Globetrotter

Hi there

Just thought I'd add my experience as I've just come over to Australia and have got a BTEC diploma in nursery nursery from the UK.

I saw someone from the skills assesment when I got here ( who was not v helpfull at all ! ) and was shocked to find out that over here I'm classed as unqualified - anyway it wasn't as bad as I first thought. I was finally put in touch with someone from the local tafe ( college ) who explained that all I needed to do was alittle abit of written work to bring me up to the ozzy standard.

Iam able to work as I'm doing it and found a job no problems after just 2 weeks ( abit too quickly ! ) I'm at a community childcare center ( not private ) doing relief work and on good money. When Iam classed as qualified ( in about a month ) I will be getting more than I did when I was a manager of a nursery in the Uk, so it's not all bad !

Kerry

Hiya,

I think the info may be on this website www.work.sa.gov.uk I was only given an address to send my stuff, I am hoping to work for Select Education agency when I get there and they gave me all the info. If you want the address then let me know. I would check that your skills are not assessed with your hubby's as you are on a different visa then us.

I got my assessement back today via email , after I spoke to a very rude lady last night on the phone!

You are right Kerry they are not very helpful!

Thanks for your info, I am glad it doesnt seem too much hassle topping up to Diploma, I was a bit worried. How have you found working with children over there? Do they follow similar practices?

Thanks

Liz

So glad someone has added this as I'm in the UK and doing my NVQ2, but might get the visa b4 I'v passed so was wondering if I could carry on In Oz. I'v had emails back from both select and ABC and they take you on unquilified. But wanted to know if it costs loads to do childcare at college in OZ? And is there loads of work in childcare?

Cheers

Tina x:)

Hiya, Tina,

I don't know about the cost of finishing your course in oz, but I have been told from a few different people that there are lots of jobs in childcare which is good news for all of us! There is not much of a choice with childcare jobs where I live, so I have stayed working in a school for nearly 4 years so do need a change.

Liz

Guest salisbury massive

Hi

I also have an NVQ 2 in childcare and spoke to a lady on the phone yesterday at Select.

she sent me this email with the following phone numbers to get the qualification assessed.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding work with Select Education as a child care worker in Adelaide. Please find a copy of the Child Care Registration Requirements attached. Prior to Registering with Select Education, you will need to do the following to have you overseas qualification recognised:

1. Have your qualifications academically assessed by the Skills Recognition Support Service. TAFE - Currie Street Campus, Adelaide Ph: 08 8207 8354

2. Contact Laura Rodrigez at Licensing and Standards to request a letter of recognition of your qualification once it has been assessed. Ph: 08 8226 1324

To register with Select you have to do the following, this is just Select - Applying for jobs in the paper might be different.

CHILD CARE

REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

The following documents must be provided as originals or certified copies signed by a JP. Once you have all of your documents in order, please call our Adelaide office on 08 8468 8021to arrange a time to register.

1. Qualifications or Academic Transcript

If applicable

2. National Criminal History Record Check

Please complete both the Consent to Obtain Personal Information Form and the Schedule of Application(s) for DECS Criminal History Screening Form and submit to:

Criminal History Screening Unit (DECS) Ph 82260430

3. Statutory Declaration

Please complete the Statutory Declaration provided in the presence of a Justice of the Peace. To locate your local JP please visit www.justice.sa.gov.au

• Child Safe Environments – Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect Certificate (Formerly Mandated Notification Certificate)

· Edmund Rice Campus Thebarton 82342937

· The Gowrie Training Centre Thebarton 82345219

· TrainSet Marryatville 83332601

· Australian Education Union 82721399

• First Aid Certificate (BELS Course or Senior First Aid)

Contact The Red Cross Ph 1300 367 428 or St John’s Ph 08 8306 6999

Please also bring the following to your registration interview:

• Current CV – including 2 referees

Referees who can comment on your ability to work with children will be highly regarded. Acceptable references include:

· Practicum reports if you have graduated within the past two years

· Written references on company letterhead paper.

· Names & contact details of verbal referees (overseas references must have an email address)

7. 2 x Passport size photos for ID card

• Bank Details & Tax File Number

BSB and Account Number

• DECS Identification Number

If applicable

10.Proof of Identification

100 Points – Please see attachment

Hope that helps

Jo

Guest salisbury massive

I've not started work here, there are plenty of jobs in childcare, but it is difficult to get into primary schools as teaching support staff (classroom assistants).

There are plenty of childcare centres like ABC etc who advertise each week. There seems to be an ABC in every suburb. some centres are attached to schools. Of course there are places like Select who can get you jobs or casual work to start with.

The easiest way is to go round the centres near where you live and leave CV's, and offer to do voluntary work for 1/2 a day etc. Then when a job comes up you are already in the frame. I'm waiting to see if the school my daughter goes to is going to offer me anything next year.

100 points identification is usually an australian driving licence or you passport or 2-3 bills with your name and address on it.

jo

Guest Globetrotter

There does seem to be lots of nursery jobs about. I got mine in the first one I walked into, without them even seeing a CV or reference ! They were really short staffed and asked if I could start 2 days later.

The staff to child ratio isn't as good over here, I had a bit of a shock. I do find my job physically quite hard because of this - I feel I need to be an octopus, especially when caring for babies. The centre I'm at is very well run though and has high standards, there is also lots of planning involved to make sure all areas of child development are covered. Hopefully this is the case in other Australian nurseries aswell.