Builders licence/Contractors licence

Guest allyb

Hi

Have been looking into things for my hubbie regarding getting a licence to run his own Building company in Adelaide. I understand he would need to get a licence and apply for one when he gets out there. In the Uk he does all domestic work renovations, bathroom reforms etc and works for himself which ideally he wants to do in Oz. From looking at the website for the licence information for SA I understand that he would have to do a business

Management course. Could he do a business management course in the Uk before we get to Oz as we dont think we will move to around late 2012. If he could do a course in the Uk it would speed things up with him obtaining a licence. He has done his AQF111 in Solid plastering for Tra purposes and can you use all your references from the UK and UK previous business records ie Accountants letter etc. I understand that you have to have I think 100,000 dollers in assets as well. Any help would be much appreciated many thanks

Guest guest569

Ive just got my Contractors liscence and supervisors registration. Bring all your references and some photo's of your work. You will need to do a business corse which shows you can run the financial side and there is also an area on business law.

once you have passed this its just an interview at OCBA where you talk your way through a normal days routine( emphasise health and safety!!)

Guest dunnarunna

my husband has just got his builders licence here he had to do the business course which was 2 whole weekends, they need proof you can run a business know the laws involved, finance etc, as he hadnt done this in uk he had to do the course and summit the qualification with his licence application, so maybe if you have a qualification in this from the uk they would accept it, but youd have to check with them. there are different licences for different aspects of building here, although in england my husband built extensions, renovations etc, here as his work is mainly bricklaying and general repairs insurance work that is what his licence covers, so although he can build extensions he cant here, on his licence. mad i know but as its more expensive and harder to get for the full one he only got the licence he needed, it also took him along time to get they say about 12 weeks from summiting the application until the interview at present, (with the business course and waiting for results from it it was prob about 5 months in total for his licence). for the final interview he took with him the same stuff as he used for tra 3 years ago, as well as photos of work he has done here, as he had city and guilds bricklaying they didnt ask questions about bricklaying they asked questions for the general repairs, asking what you do in your everyday work.

hope this helps any questions just ask

donna

Hi

Jason has just completed his business course as he wants to work for himself again. He did his over two weekends in (late) November and is just finishing the last page of the financial assessment from the course work. The coursework you have to complete at home within 3 months of taking the course. Lot of reading and listening but not too bad he said. His only moan was that they promised food at lunch and didn't provide and did not really know where he was going so did not buy anything to eat (so his brain went to sleep):SLEEP:. Assessments not too bad and most of the answers you can get in the book and if you get stuck go and ask your accountant how to do it (we did as got stuck on the bits where his brain went to sleep).

We've been told that after submitted, takes 6 weeks. One thing though is that if you want the weekend fasttrack course at least with Master Builders (don't know about the others), you have to join otherwise don't stand a cat in hell's chance of getting on the course as they give priority to members.

Regards

Jason & Niki

Hi Niki

With the course Jason done was all the assessments done like self study at home or do you have to do a actual sit down exam. Did Jason attend the weekend course over 2 weekends to complete it. I have also emailed the licence dept in SA to see if Terry can do a business course in Uk equivilant to a Australia one. Just waiting to hear back from there. How is work out there and are you liking it in Oz

Hi ya

Jason has done it was over two weekends from 9 - 4 but you only have to attend 2 out of the four sessions really. Jason did 3 of the sessions. All of the coursework has been done at home. The hardest bit of it really is some of the terminology. He also switched off a bit as hates that sort of scenario. There is no exam at the end, just this coursework and have been told that if you fail they will try their hardest to help you get there. Apparently the fee's that we paid Master Builders, means they also do the hard work for you obtaining your licence. We have got a lot of it but asks for two employers SA which J does not have but can use UK references as well.

Good luck with it all.

Absolutely loving it here. J took a bit longer but complete turnaround now and says that we have a good standard of life and he is so much more relaxed. Work is a bit quieter at the mo but not that bad. Did not really expect any different from UK on that front as always went quiet after Christmas.

Any more questions, just give us a shout.

Niki

Hi

Thanks for that. Normally I mostly do all the business side as Terry is not really keen on that side but if he has to do then at least he does not have to do a sit down exam just course work.

I willl look into the Master builders side. Work in the Uk is okay a bit slow over Xmas but now picking up. Weather is crap here looking forward to warmer weather.

Thank you for all the replies and we know what to expect with the licence side etc.

Guest dunnarunna

agree there pp we had to pay $500odd extra to join them to do the course which was $500 odd, did the application for licence myself they never offered any advise or help, may use them for public liability insurances but wont be rejoining next year.

donna

Guest brianlynnette

hi my oh Brian is a plasterer and were coming over on a spouse visa as i am a citizen, im just wondering if theres much work in adelaide for plasterers, we hope to be there within the end of the yr sooner if the house sells kwik at a loss aswell if we have to haha:biglaugh:

Guest guest569

There is work for plasterers and they make good $$. It is a completely different style of plastering than in the UK though !!! Its all tape and jointing inside houses , No float and set and skimming !!!.

Outside is sand and cement render and texture coating !!

Old school plasterers do well here but your skimmers will struggle with the change !!!

Guest brianlynnette
There is work for plasterers and they make good $$. It is a completely different style of plastering than in the UK though !!! Its all tape and jointing inside houses , No float and set and skimming !!!.

Outside is sand and cement render and texture coating !!

Old school plasterers do well here but your skimmers will struggle with the change !!!

Hi thanks for that, as brians never had the need to buy taping tools as over here you get yr tapers and then yr plasterers do you think its be wise to buy all taping tools before we get over there thanks:biglaugh:

• 1 month later...
Guest bosco

hi all just came across this thread and wondering if anyone can tell me if you need builders licence to run your own plastering buisiness in s aus.cheers

Guest guest569
hi all just came across this thread and wondering if anyone can tell me if you need builders licence to run your own plastering buisiness in s aus.cheers

You need a liscence for every buliding trade sub contracter.

Definitely go via OCBA, very helpful & they will have an up to date list of training companies, hubby did his thru Peertech (cant spell), a white card is also needed.

NB Yes there is an interview but Ash had to have 2, mainly cause he had been here over 2 yrs before getting a license (well that was their excuse) having said that it was straight forward enough, references, photos all up to date & an informal chat on 'painting boats' yes don't laugh !!!

He worked full time for a company but now has his own business with 3 painters, plenty of work too :)

Good luck

Guest boesman

Yes, I was also told if you want to work for yourself in any trade or sub contract you would need a license, but NOT if you are employed by someone. Know if there are lots of tiling work going round Adelaide?

Thanks for the great info on the business management course!

• 1 year later...
Guest boesman
Can you tell me whats courses should I take for gaining builder license?Cheers

Just started the process ourselves now. I am going to do the business courses over three weekends. Then I can start my application for a licence. I will probably use all my TRA assessment papers again as proof that I had run a business before.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest coolqi
Ive just got my Contractors liscence and supervisors registration. Bring all your references and some photo's of your work. You will need to do a business corse which shows you can run the financial side and there is also an area on business law.

once you have passed this its just an interview at OCBA where you talk your way through a normal days routine( emphasise health and safety!!)

Can you please tell me what kinds of interview topic do they ask? as I am preparing for my builder licence as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boesman
Can you tell me whats courses should I take for gaining builder license?Cheers

Hi, I can't remeber out of the top of my head, but they say what courses on their website. These are two courses from a list they gave that you can do.

BSBSMB401A Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business, and

BSBSMB402A Plan small business finances

Just google these numbers and you will find place that offers them. I did mine over three sundays. Cheers.

Can you please tell me what kinds of interview topic do they ask? as I am preparing for my builder licence as well.

What ever type of licence you are appling for that is what they will ask you about if its plastering they will ask you about plastering if its bricklaying they will ask you about bricklaying.