Midwifery Work

Guest midwifeonthemove

Guest midwifeonthemove

Hello Everyone!

I am a midwife with 13 years post reg experience looking to move to Adelaide in March 2011. I was wondering how much work there is for midwives around, and how much roughly I can expect to earn?. I am happy to work full time or agency....whatever is available :cute:

Thanks for any help.

T x

Hi T,

quite a lot of work here for midwives..............both public and private sector.

Talking to some expat midwives, practice is very different...espesh in the private sector, which is driven by the obgyn bods, and there is a huge tendency to LSCS; not complaining me, means i get called and get extra dosh,lol

My current hospital has a large unit for mids, busy, but i think its understaffed!! Really nice place, and the mid girls are fabulous.............most are part time so i guess thats why it seems busy!

Salary is dictated by hours worked, naturally, and dont forget, in oz you have to accrue annual and sick leave!!

Hope it helps

Jane

Guest punkrokka

That's all good news .... Now that IELTS is out of the way we've sent off all the paperwork to APHRA today.

It was worrying us that the work wasn't there for midwives, is there anywhere we can get a copy of that newspaper article?

Hi T - Welcome to Poms in Adelaide

I think we have met and probably worked together:biglaugh:

Yes there is a lot of midwifery work here - The two major public hospitals are Womens and Childrens Tel 08 8161 7000 and Flinders Tel 08 824 5511

I do know that Flinders are certainly recruiting at the moment although they will want you to be available to work a 24/7 roster and The Womens and Childrens are usually on the look out for experienced RM's - speak to Rowy on here - she works there and has settled quite well so I believe.

The private hospitals with mid units are Ashford - 08 8375 5222

Flinders Private - 08 8275 3333

Burnside 08 8202 7222

I think Im right in saying that you have probably worked in the private system in Australia and yes it is different but if you find a nice unit and can cope with the differences then there are some nice ones around.

Lindsey

That's all good news .... Now that IELTS is out of the way we've sent off all the paperwork to APHRA today.

It was worrying us that the work wasn't there for midwives, is there anywhere we can get a copy of that newspaper article?

I sent the newspaper article to my Aunty in the UK as she is a midwife and I thought she might find it interesting and in case anyone she works with is thinking of making the move out to Australia.

I might be able to get a copy of it from the local library and post it to you.

Guest punkrokka

Thanks, that's a shame...I was hoping it was something that could be scanned, e-mailed. Do you have a web link to the paper & I can ask them instead of putting you to any bother.

Guest midwifeonthemove

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for all your replies.

Just an update..

I have now landed myself a job (very easily too!!!!)

So are now planning everything else!!! We land on the 5th March..so busy, busy, busy!!!!

T x

Guest midwifeonthemove
Well done, that was quick.....where will you be working?

Hi punkrokka,

I have a job at Burnside, and my OH has landed himself a job in the CBD....So all systems go now!

Are you planning a move over?

T x

Guest midwifeonthemove
Hi T

where's the job?Do youneed anything for you arrival???

Lindsey

:biglaugh: I am scarily disorganised....will be pitching a tent in your backyard at this rate Lindsey! x

Hi Punkrokka, I am a full time Midwife at the Women's and will give you any info you need on salary and the Unit if you need any? Just pm me? Am in the process of replying to Tanya also about work here in Adelaide. Been here since August 2010 and really enjoying my job at the Women's, far better than the UK!!! Penny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest catchingbabies

Hi Penny and all, just read this thread with interest. I am a recently qualified midwife and will be looking to move to SA next year, I'll have a yr in Nov. My OH is looking to come over and work for SAPOL as they look like recruiting from the UK at the end of this year. I am struggling to find alot of info on the web a out individual hospitals. I would prefer a happy place with nice people and eventually after gaining experience in the Australian systems I'd love to caseload. If anyone has any info that they can offer or email addresses of who to talk to about job prospects I'd love your help and hear your experiences. I have 5 children from 18 down to twins of 7 so will need affordable living and good schools and easy to get to on foot facilities for all xx thanks all who can help xx

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, really hope I'm not hijacking as I see this thread is from some time ago....I'm applying to Uni here in the Uk and if successful I will start next year. I am coming to Adelaide in April on a reccie for a month and reall would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get some kind of volunteering/work experience over in Oz. Something like a few days helping out on maternity ward/ going out in community/ god I would even love to make some very exhausted ladies a nice cup of brew if that's all I can get-anything wike this would be fantastic experience for me and would give me an opportunity to see how 'real midwifery' works! I see some of you who posted are midwives already in Oz so wondering if any of you can give me any advice on how to go about this or if any of you could even help me out with getting in somewhere!!! Here's hoping, thanks a lot, Jodi x