Mental health nursing?

Guest guest7049

Guest guest7049

Hi we're wondering if there are any mental health nurses who have made the trip from the UK to Adelaide and let us know how your finding the work? We are in the early stages of hopefully emigrating and haven't fully decided on where to go yet but pretty sure it will be either Adelaide or Perth need to decide for state sponsorship.

Thank you.

Guest Daisy Duke

Hello 'Harrington' family!

Just saw your post on here. I'm a mental health nurse due to fly out in April this year. Had interview last May in London, got offered a post with CHAHS, and have been filling out forms ever since! Ha ha. Seriously, it's been ok so far and quite straight forward (it's just me, my partner and dog). We were planning on Perth originally, but got fed up waiting for jobs to come up. This opportunity arose, so we thought why not? I think it will be a good move as think there's a lot of change happening in Adelaide and it's back on the map now. Will be more than happy to kp you posted on how we get on.

Guest guest7049
Hello 'Harrington' family!

Just saw your post on here. I'm a mental health nurse due to fly out in April this year. Had interview last May in London, got offered a post with CHAHS, and have been filling out forms ever since! Ha ha. Seriously, it's been ok so far and quite straight forward (it's just me, my partner and dog). We were planning on Perth originally, but got fed up waiting for jobs to come up. This opportunity arose, so we thought why not? I think it will be a good move as think there's a lot of change happening in Adelaide and it's back on the map now. Will be more than happy to kp you posted on how we get on.

please do be interesting to hear how you get on, are you going on a PR visa? How did you get the interview?

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi guys,

I saw the ad in my rcn nursing bulletin beginning of last year with an agency called o'grady peyton. I phoned them, and they said they were interviewing in London, and various other places around the country. Anyway, cut a long story short, they offered me the job there and then! Could'nt believe it. I'm going on a 2 year visa (457), with 2 yr contract. If my partner and I like it, we can apply for perm res whilst there. They pay my flight, and money toward first 2 months rent. Apparently, they do this recruitment thing a few times a yr. You should email them or go on google. They got quite a few nurses retiring in next few yrs, so they are planning ahead I think.

PS, this is a fab site for any questions you have. Everyone is really welcoming and helpful

Guest guest7049

Yeah she's seen those adverts, we're hoping to get out on a permanent visa as we have kids and it's easier finacially to be a PR, however we haven't ruled out a 457.

How have you found the whole ANMC skills assesment and AHPRA registration process?

thanks for your time.

Hi

My husband and I are both mental health nurses. He got a job through o'grady peyton in the uk aswell and they paid for his flight etc. We came on a permanent visa though. Worked out alot better for us as it meant we were entitled to centrlink help straight away which meant i could hold off starting work until we had the kids settled over here. Also meant that he had the option of changing jobs and didn't have to wait the 2 years.

Jenny

Guest guest7049
Hi

My husband and I are both mental health nurses. He got a job through o'grady peyton in the uk aswell and they paid for his flight etc. We came on a permanent visa though. Worked out alot better for us as it meant we were entitled to centrlink help straight away which meant i could hold off starting work until we had the kids settled over here. Also meant that he had the option of changing jobs and didn't have to wait the 2 years.

Jenny

Hi Jenny

Is his job in the private sector or public? I think we'll have to give o'grady peyton a call next time they advertise.

We really would prefer to be on a PR visa to qualify for childcare help as we'd both be in full time employment.

How are you both finding Adelaide which area have you settled in? Also how did you find the registration process seems to be getting a few people down on here and other forums?

Baz

Guest dittydotty1
Hi Jenny

Is his job in the private sector or public? I think we'll have to give o'grady peyton a call next time they advertise.

We really would prefer to be on a PR visa to qualify for childcare help as we'd both be in full time employment.

How are you both finding Adelaide which area have you settled in? Also how did you find the registration process seems to be getting a few people down on here and other forums?

Baz

hi, we are both nurrses, husband is mental health nurse

he got job through o grady peyton, you dont have to wait for a recruitment day just telephone them and they will interview over phone and you can e mail them all the info they need.still got airfare and rent assistance.

i would apply for nurse registration ASAP as if you are not in the country you seem to go to bottom of pile, taking about 6 months at moment.

we came on PR and registration not through when we arrived, so we went down to AHPRA every day to hassle them and told them we were in financial hardship with 2 young children,(which was becoming not far from truth) it finally got done within around

6 weeks. but it was a stressfull waiting game.

hope this helps

oh the other thing to watch out for is o'grady peyton dont always know the geography of adelaide, what seems to us an hours drive on map is usually twice that as the speed limits over here are very low, and the the road system contains loads and loads of traffic lights so bear this in mind when considering where to live / work

e,g, seaford to salisbury or elizabeth is not a doable commute and there are lots of jobs in salisbury and elizabeth because it is a rougher area to work

amanda xx

Guest guest7049
hi, we are both nurrses, husband is mental health nurse

he got job through o grady peyton, you dont have to wait for a recruitment day just telephone them and they will interview over phone and you can e mail them all the info they need.still got airfare and rent assistance.

i would apply for nurse registration ASAP as if you are not in the country you seem to go to bottom of pile, taking about 6 months at moment.

we came on PR and registration not through when we arrived, so we went down to AHPRA every day to hassle them and told them we were in financial hardship with 2 young children,(which was becoming not far from truth) it finally got done within around

6 weeks. but it was a stressfull waiting game.

hope this helps

oh the other thing to watch out for is o'grady peyton dont always know the geography of adelaide, what seems to us an hours drive on map is usually twice that as the speed limits over here are very low, and the the road system contains loads and loads of traffic lights so bear this in mind when considering where to live / work

e,g, seaford to salisbury or elizabeth is not a doable commute and there are lots of jobs in salisbury and elizabeth because it is a rougher area to work

amanda xx

Thank you my wife filled in an expression of interest form on there website last night so will hopefully hear from them. We went throught the registration application last night so are going to get the ball rolling ASAP as we've heard it can take a while to get sorted.

If they offer you a role is it up to you to then find a property near to where you will be working.

Sorry going to be firing loads of questions at everyone now lol

Baz

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Baz,

Re where to live, you have to do your own foot work really, and keep in mind the communte. You can get a rough idea of preferable suburbs on here - seems south and coastal are best. Our agent at o' grady has been really helpful actually. He's an aussie and knows the area, which always helps. Only thing is, I don't know the location of where I will be working yet, but should find out soon.

Hope this helps.

Sara

Guest nicandchris

Hi there, we too are heading over later this years fingers crossed if the house sells! yes again with peyton and on a 457 visa. we too would love to come on a pr however no chance as money is too tight. Double edged sword as in one way we hope that my oh can get a job with the coach company over there but then again we need him to look after our little boy until we get pr (hopefully within six months or so), maybe part time for him initally if he can get a job. Its a bit of a minefield isnt it. Whilst i had an interview in manchester in may last year ive only just now managed to apply for the nursing registration. Remember the ielts is a nightmare to have to do and takes time, i believe its still needed for the nursing although we do hear conflicting reports about this.

As the Uk system gets tighter and tighter to live within, with the prospect of little future within the fast disolving NHS around us, moving to adelaide seems a light relief and making the days managable.

Good luck everyone!!

nic

Guest guest7049
Hi Baz,

Re where to live, you have to do your own foot work really, and keep in mind the communte. You can get a rough idea of preferable suburbs on here - seems south and coastal are best. Our agent at o' grady has been really helpful actually. He's an aussie and knows the area, which always helps. Only thing is, I don't know the location of where I will be working yet, but should find out soon.

Hope this helps.

Sara

Yeah as I thought which isn't a bad thing as we will probably need to be within a decent commute to the CBD as I work in IT so guess that's where I'm likely to end up working, also need to be hopefully a short distance from where ever Gaynor will be working it's challenging isn't? I'm not a stress head but can easily see how stressful it is.

Let us know when you find out where your working.

Guest guest7049
Hi there, we too are heading over later this years fingers crossed if the house sells! yes again with peyton and on a 457 visa. we too would love to come on a pr however no chance as money is too tight. Double edged sword as in one way we hope that my oh can get a job with the coach company over there but then again we need him to look after our little boy until we get pr (hopefully within six months or so), maybe part time for him initally if he can get a job. Its a bit of a minefield isnt it. Whilst i had an interview in manchester in may last year ive only just now managed to apply for the nursing registration. Remember the ielts is a nightmare to have to do and takes time, i believe its still needed for the nursing although we do hear conflicting reports about this.

As the Uk system gets tighter and tighter to live within, with the prospect of little future within the fast disolving NHS around us, moving to adelaide seems a light relief and making the days managable.

Good luck everyone!!

nic

Gaynor's not particularly looking forward to the IELTS which she has to do for state sponsorship skills assesment. That's the dilemma on a 457 as you don't get the finacial support for childcare etc for us with 3 kids it would be a nightmare so we're really hoping to go on a 176 PR visa just need to get our arses in gear and get it in before July when the points system changes.

Do you know where you are going to be working yet?

Hi Jenny

Baz

Hi Baz

We both work in the public sector. Love Adelaide, we're down south in woodcroft. Registration process wasn't as bad for us as was before AHPRA. Know this has slowed everything up, so the earlier you start the better.

Jenny

Guest nicandchris

hi there no noone knows until about two months before arriving, however they talk about putting you where your talent lies. i imagine the wards first though and then trying to change when there. were looking at more abit inland, the hills hopefully as were bringing our dogs. its hard to keep focussed as its been almost a year since the interview and only just sending in the registration, money having been tight whilst i was on maternity. just have to keep chipping away at it.:cute:

Gaynor's not particularly looking forward to the IELTS which she has to do for state sponsorship skills assesment. That's the dilemma on a 457 as you don't get the finacial support for childcare etc for us with 3 kids it would be a nightmare so we're really hoping to go on a 176 PR visa just need to get our arses in gear and get it in before July when the points system changes.

Do you know where you are going to be working yet?

Just seen you have 3 kids, would really recommend going for PR as the centrelink is a big help with childcare costs etc, any childcare costs you pay you get 50% back.

Jenny

Guest guest7049
Just seen you have 3 kids, would really recommend going for PR as the centrelink is a big help with childcare costs etc, any childcare costs you pay you get 50% back.

Jenny

Yes I've looked into it a lot and think that's the best route for us plus as the whole process takes longer than a 457 visa it will give us time to sort out Gaynors registration etc and save some more cash!

Guest dittydotty1
Thank you my wife filled in an expression of interest form on there website last night so will hopefully hear from them. We went throught the registration application last night so are going to get the ball rolling ASAP as we've heard it can take a while to get sorted.

If they offer you a role is it up to you to then find a property near to where you will be working.

Sorry going to be firing loads of questions at everyone now lol

Baz

yeah, you need to find your own accomadation near where you are working, but i would suggest a start date for work 3/4 weeks after you arrive, this would give you opportunity for short term rental so you can suss out where you want to be.

the properties on some rental websites can look great but the pictures are often misleading so good to view for yourself before you get a long term rental.

also think about co ordinating your shipment of furniture with start dates/rental dates, you may need something furnished for a few weeks, although this site is good if your desperate to borrow furniture usually someone is able to help.

it is all a minefield and we blundered in unaware and quite naive and we survived LOL been here scince sept and despite our lack of planning still managed!

good luck any questions feel free to PM me

amanda

Guest guest7049
yeah, you need to find your own accomadation near where you are working, but i would suggest a start date for work 3/4 weeks after you arrive, this would give you opportunity for short term rental so you can suss out where you want to be.

the properties on some rental websites can look great but the pictures are often misleading so good to view for yourself before you get a long term rental.

also think about co ordinating your shipment of furniture with start dates/rental dates, you may need something furnished for a few weeks, although this site is good if your desperate to borrow furniture usually someone is able to help.

it is all a minefield and we blundered in unaware and quite naive and we survived LOL been here scince sept and despite our lack of planning still managed!

good luck any questions feel free to PM me

amanda

Your right about the minefield! This and other forums are so helpful though.