Help with resume and cover letter for nursing posts

Guest northernstar200

Guest northernstar200

Hi there, i don't know if there is anyone out there who could help, but i really could do with some help with my cover letter and cv. I have applied for many many jobs in the last couple of months and have not had any success in even getting to have an interview.

I would like to thank anyone who answers in advance.

Tracy x x x:biglaugh:

Guest kangomik

Have a chat with Suzer (or suser, sorry) she has a good rep for doing C.v's They need to be australainafied ( i know it's not a word:biglaugh:)

The covering letter is critical over here.

Guest sarahtwinn82

Ring Flinders Private Hospital and ask to speak with Margaret Zotti. Ask her if any nursing jobs are vacant. Hope this helps, I understand how you feel, Pete can't find work either.

Have a chat with Suzer (or suser, sorry) she has a good rep for doing C.v's They need to be australainafied ( i know it's not a word:biglaugh:)

The covering letter is critical over here.

The only difference I made to my CV, was to change the address and telephone number to my Australian one.

There isn't any need to Australianize CV's. Just call it a Resume.

I've spoken with a couple of agencies, and they said my CV/Resume is excellent. With regards to a covering letter, just write a letter stating your interest in the position, and big up your qualifications and experience.

There isn't any need to Australianize CV's. Just call it a Resume.

I've spoken with a couple of agencies, and they said my CV/Resume is excellent. With regards to a covering letter, just write a letter stating your interest in the position, and big up your qualifications and experience.

Not true...and cover letters need to be individualised according to job you are applying for...not to mention selection criteria.

Not true...and cover letters need to be individualised according to job you are applying for...not to mention selection criteria.

Well I had 3 job offers within 3 weeks with mine, so must be doing something right!! :biglaugh:

It goes without saying cover letters are unique to each position, but I used my UK CV, just changed the address and had no issues. Everyone I've spoke to has said the same.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with Suzer. I know for office positions there is a lot of competition and employers want to know you actually want the job they are advertising and are not just applying for anything.

Employers I am speaking to have approached our organisation because they don't have the resources to deal with the approx 100 applicants they will get for an advertised office vacancy on seek and they just want me to put forward a few suitable applicants to interview. One of the employers I spoke to said in 30 hours of his vacancy being on seek he had 70 applicants.

Guest WhatNow?

That is not at all unusual either - a 30 hours a week basic admin job I know about that was advertised recently attracted 274 applications. The employer will look for reasons to throw out as many as possible in the first pass, so, as I have posted before, you need to write a good covering letter showing you have addressed the requirements of the job description closely, matching the requirements to any experience/qualifications you have. You do not have to mention your visa status unless this is a condition of the job, as this is often used as a 'filter'. The employers are principally looking for evidence that you can express yourself clearly in good English, have understood the job description and have enough relevant experience/quals to be worth asking to an interview. Keep the CV, or 'Resume' as it is known here, relevant (target the way it is written if necessary) and brief (2-4 pages) with no unexplainable gaps and you should be OK.

That is not at all unusual either - a 30 hours a week basic admin job I know about that was advertised recently attracted 274 applications. The employer will look for reasons to throw out as many as possible in the first pass, so, as I have posted before, you need to write a good covering letter showing you have addressed the requirements of the job description closely, matching the requirements to any experience/qualifications you have. You do not have to mention your visa status unless this is a condition of the job, as this is often used as a 'filter'. The employers are principally looking for evidence that you can express yourself clearly in good English, have understood the job description and have enough relevant experience/quals to be worth asking to an interview. Keep the CV, or 'Resume' as it is known here, relevant (target the way it is written if necessary) and brief (2-4 pages) with no unexplainable gaps and you should be OK.

274 applicants, wow that is astonishing.

Even this chap wouldn't have got the job:

A local business was looking for office help. They put a sign in the window, stating the following: "HELP WANTED. Must be able to type, must be good with a computer and must be bilingual. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer."

A short time afterwards, a dog trotted up to the window, saw the sign and went inside. He looked at the receptionist and wagged his tail, then walked over to the sign, looked at it and whined.

Getting the idea, the receptionist got the office manager. The office manager looked at the dog and was surprised, to say the least. However, the dog looked determined, so he lead him into the office. Inside, the dog jumped up on the chair and stared at the manager.

The manager said, "I can't hire you. The sign says you have to be able to type." The dog jumped down, went to the typewriter and proceeded to type out a perfect letter. He took out the page and trotted over to the manager and gave it to him, then jumped back on the chair. The manager was stunned, but then told the dog, "The sign says you have to be good with a computer."

The dog jumped down again and went to the computer. The dog proceeded to demonstrate his expertise with various programs and produced a sample spreadsheet and database and presented them to the manager. By this time the manager was totally dumb-founded! He looked at the dog and said, "I realize that you are a very intelligent dog and have some interesting abilities. However, I *still* can't give you the job."

The dog jumped down and went to a copy of the sign and put his paw on the sentences that told about being an Equal Opportunity Employer. The manager said, "Yes, but the sign *also* says that you have to be bilingual."

The dog looked at him straight in the face and said, "Meow."

Cooler