IT Desktop support

Guest guest7049

Guest cornish Busdriver

I dont work in IT desktop support but have got my 1st hons in digital arts and technologies / communications and electronics if thats any use.

And now repair and mantain all the computers in work.

Is it a question about working in a desktop support role or a computer problem ?

Guest guest7049
I dont work in IT desktop support but have got my 1st hons in digital arts and technologies / communications and electronics if thats any use.

And now repair and mantain all the computers in work.

Is it a question about working in a desktop support role or a computer problem ?

Thanks for the reply just interested to find out about the job market for desktop support engineers in preferable big companies, there seems to be a few jobs advertised but after some first hand experience of anyone working in the industry.

Baz

Hi Baz, I've worked as a 1st Line IT Support Analyst and as a 1st Line Team Leader for 10 years, we are emigrating to Adelaide on the 1st May so I've been looking for jobs. I've found quite a lot of Service Desk jobs in and around Adelaide, take a look at seek.com.au and Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | CareerOne.com.au, you can register with these sites and they will email you alerts as and when jobs are posted. I did find a job today as a Facilities Administrator with some Help Desk support, looked like a junior role SEEK - Facilities Administrator Job in Adelaide

They don't tend to display salaries, but if you go to hays.com.au, you can download a salary report, I did and the average salary for Helpdesk is $35k, level 1 $40k, level 2 $50k, level 3 $65k.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ali

Hey im working as a junior network engineer for an IT company here, got the job from ringing around. I use to work for an IT comapny in UK and have a few certs so that helped. Found that technically people in Aus are pretty good but they lack a little on the customer service side. Im contracting on 26$ an hour works out after tax 800 a week which is about 52000 over the course of a year. Any other questions give me a shout

Guest guest7049

Thanks for the replies and link, I've got plenty of certs luckily my current employer is keen on that, always worked in 2nd/3rd line so hoping to do the same out there, guess I'll have to start firing off my CV nearer the time of our move.

you may actually have done 2nd 3rd line so dont take this the wrong way but in the UK i thought i was very much 2nd / 3rd line but coming here im 1st line, 2nd line would be someone who installs new enviroments and 3rd line is someone who can do everything pretty much everything.

just dont want u to be taken by suprise like i was

you may actually have done 2nd 3rd line so dont take this the wrong way but in the UK i thought i was very much 2nd / 3rd line but coming here im 1st line, 2nd line would be someone who installs new enviroments and 3rd line is someone who can do everything pretty much everything.

just dont want u to be taken by suprise like i was

I think it depends where you work. In the IT Dept I work in the IT Helpdesk would be classed as 1st line, Technicians classed as 2nd line, System Admin/Engineers as 3rd line as a general guide and we are a team of 10.

Where as in the UK when I started out in IT, the organisation I first worked at did not have a Helpdesk so I was classed as 1st line as an IT Technician.

A lot of the IT jobs in Adelaide seem to be through recruitment agencies. Although when we recruited for a Help Desk Administrator directly on seek recently it was a headache getting good candidates.