Any jobs out there?

Guest shellymc

Guest shellymc

Hi all

Just reading everyone's posts and the job situation looks a little scary, my OH is a HGV class 1 driver and I'm a hairdresser/ hairdressing teacher. Everyone seems to be getting over there and having a really bad time finding jobs!! or even being treated unfairly. I dont want to arrive and not able to get jobs and live off the savings we are taking into the country as we have two young children and need some security. Are we just going through the ups and downs like everyone does before they get their visa.Can anyone give us any reassurance on this situation. Is it really that hard to get a job!!

shelly

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday Shelly.

I cant help with your hair dressing but i can with info for the hubby.

His Class 1 is not valid over here so will have to sit his truck licence if he wants to stay in that line of work and cost around $1500 to $2000 to re due it.

If he wants to keep driving as a job, bus driving is always an option and doesnt cost him anything for his artic licence but it will be an auto licence which he can upgradeto a manual if he wants for a few extra lessons and bucks.

I had my PSV and HGV with ADR in the UK and was very supprised when they accepted and transfered my car and bike licence but not my psv and hgv licences.

Im driving buses here and loving it and theres always jobs going as all companys are short of drivers and all have there own driving schools.

Matt

Hi Shelly,

I am also a hairdresser. I work for a company called Just Cuts.

There are plenty of hairdressing jobs and there are driving jobs too so that shouldn't be a problem.

That's the good news!

To be honest the pay for hardressers is rubbish! I get paid $17 a hour but the penalty rates for Thursdays and weekends pushes that us a bit. You do get paid more in the chemical salons though.

The initial period is financially painful so be prepared to go backwards with savings...sorry! It's the price of establishing a new life.

Hope that it all works out. Just ask if there's any other info.

Tamara

I work at a Business College and I have plenty of jobs on offer for our students in general admin, reception, insurance, finance, accounts and not enough students that want a job to fill the vacancies!!

They are a mix of jobs, some specifically for young people who want to get a start in an office career and others that are looking for more experience.