Painter and decorator

Guest donna1

Hi we have just been allocated C/O meds next week etc, just wanting to know the average wage for a painter and decorator, my oh has had his own ltd company for about 20 years, he is also a plumber, just wanted rough idea so we can work things out this end, and does any one know if there is a restriction i.e time limit on when you can set up your own company

Hi we have just been allocated C/O meds next week etc, just wanting to know the average wage for a painter and decorator, my oh has had his own ltd company for about 20 years, he is also a plumber, just wanted rough idea so we can work things out this end, and does any one know if there is a restriction i.e time limit on when you can set up your own company

Hi Donna,

average wage would be between $20 to $35 per hour as a subby, you would have to pay your own tax, super, holiday etc to out of that as a subby. in commercial you can earn the higher end of that and may get them to pay some or all of your holiday, super etc, depends on your experience and the way you are employed. you dont earn as much in new domestic painting.

Not sure about time limit starting up your own company, but would guess that once you have your licence, white card etc it should be very quick, but just guessing that. Having said that it may take a while to get your name around and get used to the way things work here, i have been here nearly 6 years and can say it took a good part of that for me to get known, it's about who you know here, although i didn't initally set out to employ people and expand.

good luck

kevin