Cv/resume help needed

Guest Sannie!
Hi all ,

I am wanting to apply for a new job and need help on my cv/resume . I read one time there is someone on here who can help , i have got one but probably need it looking at. cheers Gary

just in case if it helps a bit - Go to Skill recognition service, ask for an appointment and get it done with a consultant. they do there for migrants and it is all free ;-). :GEEK: propably if anyone can do here that is well appreciatedd. :-)

Guest WhatNow?

A few tips that were given to me by someone whose job it is to get the long term unemployed into an interview:

1. Read the job/person spec carefully and then match your experience/qualifications as closely to the spec as possible, most relevant first. Targetting your CV is the most important thing.

2. Don't be tempted to include anything that is not directly relevant to the job for which you are applying - if employers want to know more about you then you can tell them at the interview.

3. Remember that there may be upward of 200 CVs going in for any one job and the first process they all go through is to be read for reasons to reject them. This means that relevance, spelling, good English, lack of woffling is all important.

4. Fact of life is that if you are a temporary visa holder you will automatically go to the bottom of the pile behind citizens and permanent visa holders (what ever you are told by anyone else - I have this on authority from several agencies and employers) and understand that some jobs in defence are only open to Citizens. The strong advice that you don't even mention your visa status or that you are a migrant unless it is DIRECTLY relevant to the job for which you are applying.

5. Australian references carry far more weight than overseas ones so the sooner you can build up even a casual job history, the better.

Remember that you need to get past that first stage and into an interview so you can do yourself justice in person. All the employer needs to know at the CV stage is 'What relevant experience and qualifications has this person got that will enable them to do the job?'. Don't give them any reason to throw your CV in the bin or onto the 'too hard' pile.

Good Luck