UK NURSES AND IELTS!! Please read!!

Guest fluxsta

Guest fluxsta

Dear forums friends,

After much persual of issues relating to 'do we as nurses need to do the IELTS exam if we are from UK'......

My family have literally just landed from the most awesome recce ever and meet some amazing people from this forum. I will post a longer recce summary once jetlag has gone and we have had some sleep ;-)

I just wanted to say that I had taken much advice about this dreaded IELTS exam that AHPRA 'apparently' need. I sat the exam, passed, and last week went to the Adelaide office of AHPRA to submit my completed AGOS-04 nursing application in person. Staff told me categorically that

I DID NOT NEED TO DO THE IELTS EXAM IF MY SECONDARY EDUCATION WAS IN ENGLISH!!

I showed copies of my secondary education and nursing papers to prove that my education was in English. So, please save the money and the bother (I was freaking out about sitting the IELTS!)..........and don't sit the IELTS!!

In saying that it may come in handy for PR, not sure.....maybe forum users can guide me on this.....

awesome forum. met so many friends already.....recce to follow

• 4 months later...
Guest kenco

hi i have just sat the OET test costing 450.00 and failed , i was told to take the test by ahpra ?? is it still the same ?? we dont have to do it ? i was born in the uk and educated in the uk ?? any advice will help

We're hoping to go over on a 176 visa, dh is the main visa applicant and for this he had to sit academic ielts getting a minimum of 7 in all bandings, in order to get his skiils assessed by the anmac. I am a nurse as well i also did the academic ielts but failed it by 0.5 so i contacted aphra explaining i was coming on dh visa as dependant, they e-mailed me back stating i would still need to have a ielts pass of 7in all bands (even though i got 8 overall)

I think it depends what visa you want and/or going over on, i have read of others getting there much faster on other visas and/or via a agency but for us having a family i want a little piece of mind with the 176.

We sat the ielts in Birmingham at a cost of £130 each but i've since found it varies around the country from around £112 - £135.

Hope this helps, i'm sure other nurses will be along soon who can help further...

Sue

Guest RobJ1978

i needed it anyway for the skills assessment...but when i was at my exam, i met a fellow nurse who said it is newly come in that all nurses need to have.

Obviously this is just going on what someone else says.x.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kat+Rocco

I have just been accepted for registration by AHPRA and did not need to sit IELTS I just provided proof of my uk education uni

transcripts etc with my application :wink: