Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By colette

Thread: ESL Teacher

Smile ESL Teacher

Could anyone advise if there is enough work in Adelaide to set up as a teacher - a private teacher of English as a foreign language.

Thank you

I qualified as an ESL at Adelaide Uni in 2008. I have worked casually at the University of Adelaide, GEOS (went bust last year) and now Carrick. There is a huge surplus of ESL teachers as all the universities do 2 courses a year and many English Language Schools have closed down over the last year or so. If you PM me I can give you the name and contact details of the places I have worked. The salary is usually $40 an hour or $70 per hour at the universities but you earn the latter with all the admin work involved. Private lessons are usually offered by teachers to their pupils outside college hours. It might be difficult to get private students without teaching in a college.
      JT1 likes this.

By the way do you have a CELTA qualification? Without one you are not allowed to teach ESL in Adelaide.

Hi Colette - been while since we spoke as worked for a while. Could we touch base as wanted to ask about where ESL teachers are currently required - roughly! Thank you....Natalie

Felixstow, NE burb :) Heaven!
      588 times
      Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
      By the way do you have a CELTA qualification? Without one you are not allowed to teach ESL in Adelaide.
      Out of interest, are you allowed to teach English as a Foreign Language (especially to private students) if you have a ITT qualification instead of CELTA qualification - ie if you are a qualified school teacher? Whilst at the moment I'm in two minds about whether I actually will ever return to teaching in any form right now, its handy to know what's available/legal/allowed etc :)
      Our 33,000km ish trip around Oz - have a look here (also good for tips on equipment and holiday places ) Our moving and living here blog :)