Advice for Newly-Qualified Nurse!

Guest NicNox

Guest NicNox

Hello Everybody :o

How are you, all? I am wondering if you could give me some advice.

I am currently studying at the University of Surrey hoping to Qualify in July 2012 (18 months time), with a Diploma of Higher Education in Adult Nursing. I will be 27.

My question is: As I am looking to emigrate to Adelaide as soon as possible, when is the best time to get the ball rolling (so to speak) and also: how do I go about doing that? Should I use an Agent?

Any advice would be greatly received.

Kind Regards

Nicola

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Nic,

I'm also a qualified nurse, and am just about to go out to Adelaide in a few weeks time. I have just over 2 years experience (I did the diploma in mental health) and went for an interview last year in London, and got offered the post. I went through an agency called Peyton O Grady and they pretty much sorted everything as we went in terms of red tape.

My friend only qualified last Sept, and she applied more or less straight away once she qualified, again with the same agency. She is just waiting for her nursing reg to be prosessed as she started the process a few months after me, but hopes to be over there by July.

The whole process from start to finish has taken roughly 10 months, so not to bad.

My partner and I are going on a 457 visa initially, but hopefully if all goes well, we will apply for PR once we know we are defo staying.

Feel free to fire any questions, and hopefully I can help you out.

Sara

:-)

Guest NicNox

Hello Sara How are you?

Thank you very much for your relpy, I really appreciate :-)

When you decided to emigrate, did you contact the Agency before doing anything else? Also, If you do not mind me asking: How did you find the job that you interviewed for?

I apologise for all the questions, but being a complete beginner to all this and as I would be going on home, Im trying to get all the infomration now, if that makes sense haha.

You must be getting all excited and nervous at the same time :-)

Kind Regards

Nic

Guest Steph&Lee

Hi Nic,

I am also qualified as an adult nurse with a diploma. Are you goping employer sponsor?? if so the rules may be different. If you are going state sponsored or PR then unfortunately you will need 2 years post grad experience!! You will also need to sit your IELTS test before you can obtain a registration in nursing. This cost £120 every time you have to sit it (unless you pass first time!). Once you have qualified, 2 yrs experience and passed your IELTS then you can start the process. It is a long haul so dont expect it all to happen quickly. We are currently awaiting state sponsor.

If you need any info re: the process let me know.

Steph

Guest Persha

Hey Nicola

I would start the AHPRA paperwork before July 2012. I would say start the paperwork a couple of months before because, it takes a while to get all the info required. Once you have some spare time, nearer July 2012 apply for the IELTS test as there is normally a waiting list.

Hope this helps!

Jo

Guest NicNox

Dear Steph

Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it. What is the alternative to state sponsorship? Have you not gone through an agent or are you doing it on your own? Also, how easy did you find it getting a Nursing job?

Thanks again

Nic

Hi Nic,

Have you looked into the graduate nurse programmes? Most hospitals do this or transition to professional practice programme TPPP (i think they are the same tbh). They are basically like the preceptorship programmes we have here. I'm doing the whole visa process on my own, theres lots of people on here and poms in oz that will be able to help you out. I did my IELTS April last year, and also contacted a nursing agency in Australia last year (who are currently trying to "temp" me into applying for a job in a different state even though i have SA SS!!! Not changing tho, Adelaide is for us). Any questions give me a shout.

Bev

Guest NicNox

Hello Bev How are you?

Thank you for your reply :oRegarding the Graduate Nurse Programmes would I apply direct to the Hospital? How did you get SA State Sponorship and also how do you go about doing the IELTS? Also, if you do not mind me asking? You said that you are doing it on your own: have you found it difficult and where did you start?

I feel silly asking all these questions: but Im a complete beginner in this process.

Kind Regards

Nic

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Nic,

The agency I am with have helped me along with all the paper work. Also, the health authority will sponsor you for perm res after 6 months if your on a 457 visa.

With regards IELTS, if you google english language centers, it should come up with one in your area as it has to be an approved center. You could prob do that asap and there is plenty of practice material on line as it is a bit of a strange test. I would strongly advise you to have a look at the practice stuff as the woman at the test center told me lots of English people fail it first time as they do not practice first.

The whole process does seem like a bit of a minefield at times, but it all comes together in the end.

Sara

:-)

Guest NicNox

Hello Sara

Ok cool, I will definitely look into the IELTS. Is there a time limit on them, if I do them within the next year, but do not qualify until JUly 2012?

Are you all ready for your move? Excited, Apprehensive or Both?

Kind Regards

Nic

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Nic,

Ooh, I don't think there is a time limit on IELTS? Can't remember? I sat mine last May. Sorry I'm a bit forgetful to say the least at the moment with everything that's going on.

Re the move, yes a mixture of everything really but overall excitement.

Did you say you are studying general nursing? The rest of your training will fly by and before you know it, you'll be out there too enjoying the good old aussie lifestyle!

Sara

Hello Bev How are you?

Thank you for your reply :oRegarding the Graduate Nurse Programmes would I apply direct to the Hospital? How did you get SA State Sponorship and also how do you go about doing the IELTS? Also, if you do not mind me asking? You said that you are doing it on your own: have you found it difficult and where did you start?

I feel silly asking all these questions: but Im a complete beginner in this process.

Kind Regards

Nic

Hi Nic, i'm good thanks how are you? Yes you need to apply direct to the hospitals, they usually do 2 intakes each year. You can only get state sponsorship if you applying for permanent residence and you need 1 years experience (20+ hours per week).

As for the IELTS test, like Sara said just google it for your nearest test centre. They are then valid for 2 years from the test date. I have found the process of applying quite straightforward, but to be honest it also comes lots and lots of stress. It requires alot of planning and alot of researching, this goes for visas, registration, jobs, sponsorship, skill assessments, CVs etc. I found all the information i needed on here and poms in oz, if you are unsure about something post a thread on here, theres are plenty of people doing the same thing who can help you out.

No worries about all of the questions...i was exactly the same a few years ago!!!

Bev

Guest leemina

Hi Elaine

Could i ask which agency you work for? I'm hoping to come out in aug/sept with my family and we're concerned about the job situation. I've got just over two and a half years experience since qualifying, worked on gastro medical and currently on respiratory medical ward. Dont know if wanna work full time initially, but would be willing to do anything to get pennies in the bank :) Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jules3695

Just a quick question, Do I need to do the IELTS test?? I am a qualified nurse with GCSE English and Language and have the paperwork to prove this. I qualified two years ago with the Advanced Dip in Higher Education and I am hoping to immigrate with my partner and child. I have only just come across the IELTS and after looking at the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia web site they state i dont need to do this. Im confused!!! :arghh:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanx

Julia X

Guest Amanda12

Hi Julia.

I'm just looking into this myself at the moment. My understanding is that you will need to do the IELTS as nursing requires a score of 7 or above and any skilled job requiring a 7 or more requires an IELT exam regardless of whether English is your native language.

I understand this is for your visa app.

There is a really long thread on the PIO site about the IELTS test and I googled it and looked in the aus gov website.

Good luck.

A

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi there,

Re the IELTS, you will need to sit it. I too am a nurse and did it last yr, and it's true what Amanda says, you have to sit it (academic level) and get an average band score of 7.

It costs £120. There's loads of practice stuff online.

I know it seems weird having to do this if you have studied at this level, but hey ho, you get used to jumping through hoops during this process.

Good Luck

Guest Amanda12

Thanks for clarifying this Daisy.

Another thought Julia is that as Daisy says you can get practice papers on line and if you can get a higher score, ie 8 it will give you more visa points. We will be relying on my OH eloquent language for this!!!! Lol :)

Prob worth getting lots of practice in first.

A

Guest jules3695
Just a quick question, Do I need to do the IELTS test?? I am a qualified nurse with GCSE English and Language and have the paperwork to prove this. I qualified two years ago with the Advanced Dip in Higher Education and I am hoping to immigrate with my partner and child. I have only just come across the IELTS and after looking at the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia web site they state i dont need to do this. Im confused!!! :arghh:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanx

Julia X

Thanx for the replies guys.

I spoke with a consultant from the Australian Embassy and he assured me that if my partners application (as a Fitter) was in before July we did not have to sit the test. I forgot to say we are going on my partners application as I only have two years experience as a qualified nurse.

Im still confused!!! :sad:

Julia. X