Real trouble finding work

Guest stevewhite

Guest stevewhite

Hi All..

I hardly ever use this forum, more fool me then:nah:

I have been in Adelaide for approx 3 weeks now.....I am a Plumber/Gas fitter back in Blighty, I was lead to believe before coming to Adelaide that I would be able to use my experience and UK qualifications to get me an Internationally recognised Provisional licence in Plumbing that would allow me to legally look for and work I was also lead to believe that I would have no probs getting work, whilst doing this I would need to complete some gap course's at the college so I could then should I want to, get a SA Cert 3 in Plumbing......No problems I thought that seemed fair.......Well the reality is after 9 day wait I got a letter to take to the office of consumer affairs OCBA, I now will have to shell out $400 up front and then wait for 6-8 weeks(and I cant work whilst I wait but I can apply for plumbing jobs???) for a licence that I will not definitely be granted and the money will be kept either way, the licence I may get will only allow me the same freedom as an apprentice, something else I was unfortunately not made aware of which means I will have to have another plumber with me at all times and I have found out that there is little or no openings for someone such as me with this licence I may get. I obviously need to get the Cert 3 but that is going to take along time to get and alot of money and I will not be able to work whilst doing this. then should I get the Cert I am not seeing that many plumbing jobs advertised anyway....My only chance seem to be getting aboard a plumbing company who is willing to take me on as I am whilst I obtain the needed gap training to allow me to get the SA Cert 3. I have also been applying for casual labouring work jus to keep money coming in but I am getting no replies from anyone at all despite emailing ref,CV,qualification and Photos of work. I came over here on my own with limited funds and have only met a couple of pom's both who have been very helpful. However I am really struggling to make any headway or contact with anyone who may be able to help me out and being on my own means that I do not have any contacts support or anyone to bounce ideas off and as a result I am quite down about the whole thing now, I know I have to look at the bigger picture but at the moment I just cant get a break......

So if anyone has any advice or knows someone who may need someone then I would be very grateful for any info you may have.

At the moment the ever present cloud of having to go back to the UK is on my horizon and I would really like to stay...

Many thanks and hope you are all having a good wkend.

All the best Steve

Sorry I can't help you out at all but just wanted to say that hopefully someone on here will be able to. The Australian job market seems to have an awful lot of red tape. Whereabouts are you living? Maybe you could post on here and see if there's anyone nearby who would maybe want to meet up and go out for a drink, and hopefully give you some advice on what to do next. Good Luck.

Guest stevewhite

Hi Anne.

Thanks for the reply....Yep there is definitely plenty of red tape, far more than I was made aware of before coming here despite alot of time researching and you dont really find it all out until getting here. Had I know how hard things were gonna be I may have reconsidered. I was a bit naive in hoping things would work out nicely.

I am renting a room in Athelstone at the moment, its ok but there is nothing here as such.

Thanks again Steve

Guest stevewhite
Hi Steve

Keep at it, does seem to take a while here.

Perhaps have a word with HR Help who posts on here,nice people and very helpful.

Perhaps worth a shot??

Here ya go.............

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/22513-free-job-seeker-workshops-adelaide-starting-1st-april.html

Hi tyke thanks for the idea, i appreciate the help...Spoke to Rob today abd he was really helpful, gota be honest tho I can see myself going back to the UK, I think now to come over here at 40 knowing no one, with no contacts and moral support that I have been asking too much of myself...I am now questioning how much I really want or need to be here for and something does not seem right, I have isolated myself for a dream that was maybe better off as a dream a, I dont have kids to think about and if I did I may feel more motivated to stay and try in what I have found is a hard place to find work at the moment...Money wise I do not feel I have the resources to support me for the time frame I am looking at regarding finding a decent job and I just dont know really if its worth it for me, maybe I needed to come here to get it out of my system, I just dont know really, my judgement is so clouded by so many different emotions and thought that staying motivated and focuses is very hard...Maybe its not meant to be..

Thanks again Steve

Guest Guest75

Hi Steve - keep the faith,you have only been here a few weeks.

The early weeks are very testing times.

You never know ,you might look back in years to come and laugh about this period.

I've just had an email from who a good contact in Onkaparinga Council who helps me and keeps me up to date with any opportunities for migrants.

He has just sent me some info on a free training program by Skills Recognition Services.

Dunno if it would help??

Trouble is that is is in the form of a PDF file, can't seem to copy and paste from it.

Unless anyone can tell me how??

If not drop me a PM with an email address and I'll send it to you.

:cute::cute:

Guest stevewhite

Hi Tyke ..

I have tried to send you PM but due to the unreliable internet I am as usual having issues with it. Please let me know if you got it or not.

Thanks

Guest Gina & Alan

Listen mate, people have come over here in a far worse scenario then yours beleive me, get ya head out of the bucket and look whats around you, you dont have to be a plumber straight away , easy enough to get a license to drive lorrys or buses here just for an example, your welcome to chat anytime

Alan

Guest stevewhite

Hi

I'll just get my head out of a bucket...

I have applied for many plumbing and labouring related jobs, I have offered to work for free whilst I train at my own expense!!! jus ti try to get my foot in the door and I have had no replies......I did casual work in Perth for a yearish had no joy getting better work.....I nearly went down the dump truck /hr licence route with the thoughts of good wages but after checking about it was old chestnut of " what experience and who do you know etc", they will happily take the money but no one Tafe or training offers any support or employer contacts for their trainees whilst or after they complete there licences?????...it like there you are thanks for the money of you go.......Ok if you have a job to or money to keep you afloat but i dont.

I thank you for your suggestions and if someone said to me go and train and get licence for such and such and i'll give you a job then I am not to proud to try it. Maybe I am an idiot, or stupid or whatever but I tried and have got no where....Maybe Oz jus aint for me, not everyone can be lucky,....................

Guest Guest75
Hi Tyke ..

I have tried to send you PM but due to the unreliable internet I am as usual having issues with it. Please let me know if you got it or not.

Thanks

Details sent,good luck.:D

You came over for a reason. And atm its not all roses. So I'd say its natural you are having doubts and thinking about heading home. If it had all gone smoothly without any worries you may well find you were feeling differently.

Nothing about moving overseas is easy really. The early weeks, months can be incredibly hard work to find your feet, figure out how the system actually works. And just getting to grips with the enormity of being miles from everything you knew can be overwhelming. And if things don't go how you were expecting then people often end up a bit more shocked and feeling let down.

I don't think you've been there long enough to really know if it was a mistake as such. Just you've not had the greatest time to start you off. But most moves are stressful, so moving to Aus, more so. So your feelings sound more clouded on that because things have not gone as you were expecting. I think a lot of people feel like they want to go home at least once in those early weeks/months, if not more, when things don't go their way or wonder what the hell they are doing and are they bonkers :P

I don't know what kind of visa you are on, but can you do other work in the meantime? If so, consider that to help tide you over and so you can have a bit of income, meet people and feel more a part of things. Right now you are probably feeling a bit lonely and without working or a purpose things can feel foggy and your train of thought and focus becomes negative. I'd say get as active as you can, even if not working. Get out, keep chasing work, get yourself known in the trade to prospective employers. Much like over here, its often not what you know but who you know.

Try to meet up with a few people from here, get a bit of a social life going and try to get involved in the community somewhere. Easier said than done but there must be something you like to do hobby wise, even if its watching cricket/football or some such.

Guest stevewhite

Thanks mate are you here or there at the moment???

I never expected it be roses nothing ever is but I hoped for a bit more...Lots of what you said is true and this is the second time I been over here, before it was Perth I lived there for a year but couldnt get good work and could not settle...I spent a couple of years in the UK saving a bit and came back to Adelaide, a big risk cos I have never been here before....It still seems tough t get a break tho. I am on a PR visa but the conditions of freedom to move stop soon which is why I am here.. fishing is my thing, thats what I love....I thank you for your support it appreciated......

Cheers mate and thanks

Things for some people arent easy, luck plays an important part ...and attitude. Everythings different and yes it is like starting again. I done some , lets say , different jobs than had planned , but hey it paid the bills., and now after 5 years appear to have a job that might just fit the bill:jiggy:

One point i will note, .......email isnt the best way to get a job in Adelaide, ring people and drop in on them and talk to anyone. It takes a while but for example, Im only at the company Im with because of a friend id met a few years earlier.

Guest kangomik

3 Weeks ain't long enough fella. It takes em 3 weeks to open an email, 3 weeks to think about it, then god knows how long before you start:biglaugh:

Unfortunately, people on both sides of the water will take your money and promise you the world.

Get the push bike out, get meeting people face to face. Adelaide is all about contact, they find it harder to say no when you are stood in front of them.

If you don't give luck a chance then you get no luck at all.

Like I said 3 weeks ain't long.

Guest stevewhite

Hi thanks to all the encouragement posts..........I really appreciate them.............I am aware its gonna be tough,.....I am aware that my

time this time is short, last timeI was here was alot longer, thing is how long do you try for before you think hang on what am I doing??? I now have a good job offered back in blighty but that is only open for a short time.........I suppose I just work out how much I want to be here, it might seem stupid but thats the problem, I looked forward and saved hard for an unkown quantity/ dream based on what I thought or felt I should be doing with my life but thats the word should....I do not know if I was trying to prove things to myself or anyone else but now it jus does not feel right and that is no doubt effecting my attitude.......Anyway thanks again for the posts, I have alot of thinking to do..........

Sounds like the job offer in the UK is tempting you also.

Do whatever you feel is right. If you want to take the job back in the UK then go for it. But if you want to really give it a go in Aus, stick it out a while longer. Think about why you wanted to leave the UK in the first place and why you would be going back. I usually do the pros and cons list and then sit and look at it and see how I can turn some of the cons into pros or at least make them more bearable.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Guest stevewhite

Thank you again for the support you have all been a great help in your own ways....I wish i had swallowed my pride and asked for advice a bit sooner.....I wont drag this out any longer as you all have lives to get on with.........I need to think.......Many thanks Steveo

Guest stevewhite

Hi I did both mostly freshwater (Carp,Barble,Pike and trout) back in the UK, I did bring a bit of salt water fly gear with me but left the rest of my stuff in the UK.

Hi Steve - your story sounds so familiar -I know exactly what you mean. Was thinking that maybe you could find some temporary work with one of the councils - maybe not in plumbing as you say you need to get your certificate but at least would bring some cash in, get you out and about and maybe you could shake something loose that way.

An agency called Skilled does the recruitment for the Adelaide City Council in the more industrial type jobs and I think an agency called Maxima (something like that) also recruits industrial job. So figuring if you really want to stay which given all that you have given up to come here seems a ptiy to throw away worth giving them a call and even if you can just get a bit of work it will help things along.

Adelaide is a place which works on who you know - so if you dont know anyone you are really stuck that is why getting out and about and getting to meet people helps. Also you have to be really really persistent with them - phone every day if necessary till they give you something just to get you out of their lives.

Keep talking - dont shut up!!! There are lots more people in the same boat as you are but most dont post figuring they are the only one.