Distance learning courses for a plumber?

Guest kfoley0681

hi plumbers need to go see paul hebard at regency tafe when here to assess the skill you already have. it has all tightened up in the last few years and coming from uk with skills assess doesnt mean you get a licence to work. most plumbers find they will get a licence to work as an "apprentice" (although employers still get you working with this licence) and then a short 1 day for 6 weeks course is required so you can work as a qualifed plumber for an employer. then to work for your selves it takes around 2 years to complete 8 plubing modules and 2 business modules to get the contractor licence. this all is done through tafe and the licences are issued through ocba. so unfortuatly you will need to wait until you are here. you could contact paul at tafe by email to arrange an appointment for your arrival so its all set up as employers dont really take people on without a licence! good luck

hi plumbers need to go see paul hebard at regency tafe when here to assess the skill you already have. it has all tightened up in the last few years and coming from uk with skills assess doesnt mean you get a licence to work. most plumbers find they will get a licence to work as an "apprentice" (although employers still get you working with this licence) and then a short 1 day for 6 weeks course is required so you can work as a qualifed plumber for an employer. then to work for your selves it takes around 2 years to complete 8 plubing modules and 2 business modules to get the contractor licence. this all is done through tafe and the licences are issued through ocba. so unfortuatly you will need to wait until you are here. you could contact paul at tafe by email to arrange an appointment for your arrival so its all set up as employers dont really take people on without a licence! good luck

Its not quite as short as this..

There are FIVE courses you have to do!

One is 6 days...one is 16 one days...one is a full week....another is one week.

One is for Gas, one is for drainage, one is for hot and cold water, one is for sanitary and fire sprinklers.(and you have to now do a first aid course).

The courses cost you about $650 each but you can get some of the money back if you can get a CITB card.

This will allow you to work for someone else!

This does not give you a level 3 cert( at the moment but maybe soon).

You can get work and be working while doing this but might not be on the money you expect!

I think its about time I got all these details down properly and put it up as a sticky.

Lots of plumbers like myself know nothing about this till they arrive!

Please feel free to ask any more questions.

Rob

Guest plumber leigh

Hi Rob,

Ive just got my visa through and hopeing to be out there for good within 12 months, reading your post do you need to do these courses before you can even get a job out there, i thought the vetasses sorted this out but obviously not. I take it this paul hebbard is the man to go and see, does it take long for him to decide what level you are at?, and can you start the courses straight away or is there usually a waiting list?.

What is the work situation like at the moment, i see plenty of jobs advertised on the net but are there enough to go round, also what kind of money can i expect to earn over there while doing the courses and on completion, and are you expected to work all the hrs god sends like over here.

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers Leigh (39 plumber/gas fitter)